U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:40 PM

12,252 posts, read 16,609,888 times
Default PSA levels up and down...Anyone else have this?

In 2005, I had a pituitary tumor removed that permanently damaged the part of the pituitary gland that tells my body to produce testosterone. No big deal...I just see and endocrinologist once a year, who monitors the testosterone levels and prescribes a topical solution of testosterone (Androgel) daily.

As a routine matter, he also tests PSA level. He called me after this later testing and informed me that my PSA level had reached 4.8 and that I should get it checked out. He then gave me my last 4 years worth of PSA readings: 1.8, 3.8, 1.8 and 4.8. Seems odd to me that they go up and down.

Anyway, my primary has referred me to a Urologist...but can't get an appointment until February 3rd. Meanwhile, I start wondering and begin searching the net. I'm reading up on prostate biopsy...just in case. But part of me wants to first say "Wait...let's just run the PSA test one more time...maybe it went down."

Anyone else have similar up and down readings? If so, what has been your urological experiences thus far?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 03:47 PM

16,650 posts, read 15,638,179 times
Yes I have. Stayed under 4 (3.2) for years then went up in the last year to 4.1 or so (bounced down a couple times). Had a prostate biopsy last week. Results came back negative with no detectable anomalies. No explanation for the increased reading. Kind of like the test I had for leukemia a month ago, white count went up, no discernable reason or explanation.

For reference I'm 56 with no family history of prostate issues or leukemia. For now the docs are scratching their heads.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:25 PM

Thanks...53 yo male here. No known family history of prostate problems. I have a feeling that doctor will order biopsy when I see him on 2/3. From what I've been reading, it's pretty standard as soon as readinig goes over 4.0. Kind of fearing this biopsy thing...painwise.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 PM

The biopsy isn't so much painful as uncomfortable, and of course somewhat undignified. I'll let your doc explain the actual process but the prostate is numbed up with Lidocaine.

You'll have to take a couple different anti-biotics in the morning of and the same two about 12 hours later. You'll also have to do a lower bowel enema within 2 or 3 hours prior. I ate a light breakfast per instructions.

Afterwards you'll lay around all day. I took the next day off,too, a Friday. I was goose hunting Saturday morning.

After the biopsy you'll have to stick around until you urinate, they check that for blood or clots. You'll also have a bit of blood at the beginning of urinating for several days.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:06 PM

I forgot to mention you'll have to drink a lot of water the couple days after.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:45 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,240,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
In 2005, I had a pituitary tumor removed that permanently damaged the part of the pituitary gland that tells my body to produce testosterone. No big deal...I just see and endocrinologist once a year, who monitors the testosterone levels and prescribes a topical solution of testosterone (Androgel) daily.

As a routine matter, he also tests PSA level. He called me after this later testing and informed me that my PSA level had reached 4.8 and that I should get it checked out. He then gave me my last 4 years worth of PSA readings: 1.8, 3.8, 1.8 and 4.8. Seems odd to me that they go up and down.

Anyone else have similar up and down readings? If so, what has been your urological experiences thus far?

Thanks.
As you probably know, one of the potential side effects of Androgel is prostate cancer (but the side effects of NOT using it are far worse), which is why your PSA is being monitored. My situation is similar having Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma with one testicle removed and the other irradiated. I also need Androgel to make up for the inability to create testosterone.

My PSA is monitored every six months and the values have been 0.40, 0.77, 0.66 and 0.90. So there has been a little "up and down" here as well, though not as wide a range as yours.

Seeing the urologist is the right move once the PSA goes above 4.00. Don't panic. A PSA of 4.00 to 10.00 suggests only a 20 to 30% risk of prostate cancer.

Here is a link with more detail: Understanding PSA, from Johns Hopkins

Congratulations on being a fellow cancer survivor and good luck as you check out this little PSA spike. Hopefully, it's nothing.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Congratulations on being a fellow cancer survivor and good luck as you check out this little PSA spike. Hopefully, it's nothing.
Thanks to both NBP and Charley for info and the link. I'll post on how things go.

Just a clarification on the pituitary tumor...it was benign, as 99% of pituitary tumors are. While the tumor was the size of a walnut (where the pituitary gland is pea-size), it was still a hell of an operation, but I imagine nothing compared to your fight against cancer.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 12,038 times
i had the biopsy done i did not feel anything, i could here when they clip it sound like a staple machine, they took 6 of them from me, they found a small amount of cancer so i took treatment for it, i have them plant seeds, no cutting, now i am 99% better and in another month i should be 100% good

Old 03-02-2011, 07:46 PM

41,633 posts, read 44,854,191 times
Yes and I had biopsy that was negative. Actaully had a normal size posytrate too. But I had a surgery years ago and bascially he said that the scare tissue is irrating the prosrate. That is really all the PSI shows he said which was why the biopsy was necessary. He siad when values go up and won often they find no cause.PSA numbers can reflect a inflamation or some other problem is what my urlogist said. That is why they seldom do not do them based n just one test .

Last edited by texdav; 03-02-2011 at 09:05 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 02:34 PM

3,272 posts, read 6,126,731 times
Men should know that engaging in sexual activity that leads to climax should be avoided for 48 hrs prior to haing a PSA drawn. Ejaculation raises the PSA and may explain certain fluctuation in numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer