Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:42 PM

754 posts, read 1,445,212 times

Advertisements

I feel a little apprehensive about posting this in a cancer forum because I technically didn't have cancer. However, I am having a difficult time dealing with what happened. Here's my story, in late October 2010, I went to my GYN because I knew that I had fibriods. My stomach had ballooned so much I looked about 5 months pregnant. At least, that's what my doctor told me. I was sent to get an ultra sound for them and since the place she was sending me was a breast care center, she had me get a mammogram as well. Well, the results of the ultra sound came back as expected, I had many, many fibriods and they needed to be removed especially if I ever wanted to have children. However, the results of the mammogram came back and I was told that I needed to take another one. I didn't really think about it, breast cancer doesn't run in my family so it just wasn't on my radar. I went back for the second mammogram and the next day I was told there was something there that needed to be looked at. So then I had a biopsy, a few days later I was told that the pathologist wasn't sure what I had so he needed a second opinion. After another week, I was told that I have ADH. If you don't know what that is, it's when you have pre-cancerous cells in your body. I was also informed that the cells were, while not cancer yet they needed to be removed immediately. I was also told that it was possible that I had cells that had already turned into cancer but they wouldn't be able to confirm until I had the surgery. In the meantime, I had an MRI to closely check my breasts to confirm it was only in the 2 spots (some cells were in each breast).

So my lumpectomy was scheduled for 2 days prior to my myomectomy (fibroids). No cancer, just the ADH. However, after the lumpectomy I realized that I had pain in my right calf. So when the nurse called to check up on me, I told her this and she told me to call my doctor immediately. I didn't. I figured I was going in for the second surgery the next day I'll just tell her then. So when I checked in for my second surgery I mentioned to my nurse that I had pain in my leg and she had a concerned look on her face. Long story short, after an ultra sound on my left they discovered I developed a blood clot or the technical term would be a DVT. This delayed my myomectomy because I had to have an additional surgery to place an umbrella in my vein to keep the blood clot to reaching my lungs and causing serious problems.

At this point, I don't even want the myomectomy because it's just been too much for me. I haven't had time to process anything, however, when I spoke to my pulmonologist, he was the person who informed me that it really wasn't an option for me. Because I delayed the myomectomy for so long, I lost so much blood that he was worried that I may go into shock if I didn't get this taken care of. My blood levels at their lowest were 5, when the average person is 12. I needed a blood transfusion just to have the surgery and I had another one after the surgery. This was another shock. I'm not going to get in the allergic reaction I had to the medicine that I had to take for the blood clot that basically took my breath away, literally. I couldn't breathe, very scary.

I eventually had the surgery, my doctor removed a total of 54 fibriods from my uterus. She took a picture of my uterus and it really did look like there could have been a fetus in there. In total, I was in the hospital for 9 days.

So as it stands, I had 3 surgeries in 6 days, I have one very noticeable dent in my right breast where the largest clump of the cells were removed, and I have to go to the doctor every week to make sure that my blood is thinning so that the DVT is dissolving. I can't talk to my friends about this because they don't understand. I have one friend who had a mymectomy (but without complications) so when I talk to her she acts like it's a competition to see who had it worse, which pisses me off. I have a cousin who had to go in for a second mammogram and her results came back fine, so she dismisses my ADH because "it's not real cancer" and so I literally feel like I have no one around me who understands how I feel. I was thisclose to breast cancer. If the place where I was going to get my ultra sound for my fibriods had not been a breast care clinic, I wouldn't have caught it when I did. I am constantly going back and forth for being so grateful for finding out at the earliest possible stage but at the same time with the ADH, I am practically first in line to get it in the future. I have to have an MRI and ultrasound every year.

At this point I just want to get back to normal, but I haven't been able to. Every morning when I look at my breast it's a constant reminder of what I've been through. For those of you who have been through something similiar, how long did it take you to get back to "normal"? At this point, I'm considering therapy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 04:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,578,877 times
Not my experience for this, but from numerous other surgeries, it took me anywhere from 2 months to 1 yer to feel I was myself again. The 2 months was for a partial kidney removal, the 1 yr was for a back surgery.

I have a friend going through breat cancer now. She had 2 cyst removals before the surgery, over the years. She said that both dents filled in within a few months.

The hospital where you had the surgeries might have a support group for patients, you can call them and ask. Otherwise, call your local cancer society branch and talk to them. So glad you were so lucky in the long run! Good luck.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 PM

754 posts, read 1,445,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Not my experience for this, but from numerous other surgeries, it took me anywhere from 2 months to 1 yer to feel I was myself again. The 2 months was for a partial kidney removal, the 1 yr was for a back surgery.

I have a friend going through breat cancer now. She had 2 cyst removals before the surgery, over the years. She said that both dents filled in within a few months.

The hospital where you had the surgeries might have a support group for patients, you can call them and ask. Otherwise, call your local cancer society branch and talk to them. So glad you were so lucky in the long run! Good luck.
Thank you, I didn't even know I could have the dent filled in. I was supposed to see an oncologist after my surgery but never went. The purpose was to learn how to keep myself from getting cancer but I think the doctor wanted me to learn about this pill you can take for 5 years that is supposed to reduce the risk. I plan to visit this doctor but I just haven't yet. But I'm sorry to hear about your surgeries as well. It's nice to know that there is an end to this phase.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,578,877 times
I meant the dent on her filled in naturally. But I suppose if it doesn't, a plastic surgeon could inject something like Restylane. My friend is going to take the 5-yr pill as well. A friend's wife who had a double mastectomy is also taking the 5-yr. pill. Seems to be the "latest" in tratment.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:06 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,581,788 times
After 3 surgeries and 9 weeks of chemo... I concluded that I will never feel like I did before I was diagnosed with cancer. I came to the conclusion that it will be a new normal.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:39 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,326,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
I feel a little apprehensive about posting this in a cancer forum because I technically didn't have cancer. However, I am having a difficult time dealing with what happened. Here's my story, in late October 2010, I went to my GYN because I knew that I had fibriods. My stomach had ballooned so much I looked about 5 months pregnant. At least, that's what my doctor told me. I was sent to get an ultra sound for them and since the place she was sending me was a breast care center, she had me get a mammogram as well. Well, the results of the ultra sound came back as expected, I had many, many fibriods and they needed to be removed especially if I ever wanted to have children. However, the results of the mammogram came back and I was told that I needed to take another one. I didn't really think about it, breast cancer doesn't run in my family so it just wasn't on my radar. I went back for the second mammogram and the next day I was told there was something there that needed to be looked at. So then I had a biopsy, a few days later I was told that the pathologist wasn't sure what I had so he needed a second opinion. After another week, I was told that I have ADH. If you don't know what that is, it's when you have pre-cancerous cells in your body. I was also informed that the cells were, while not cancer yet they needed to be removed immediately. I was also told that it was possible that I had cells that had already turned into cancer but they wouldn't be able to confirm until I had the surgery. In the meantime, I had an MRI to closely check my breasts to confirm it was only in the 2 spots (some cells were in each breast).

So my lumpectomy was scheduled for 2 days prior to my myomectomy (fibroids). No cancer, just the ADH. However, after the lumpectomy I realized that I had pain in my right calf. So when the nurse called to check up on me, I told her this and she told me to call my doctor immediately. I didn't. I figured I was going in for the second surgery the next day I'll just tell her then. So when I checked in for my second surgery I mentioned to my nurse that I had pain in my leg and she had a concerned look on her face. Long story short, after an ultra sound on my left they discovered I developed a blood clot or the technical term would be a DVT. This delayed my myomectomy because I had to have an additional surgery to place an umbrella in my vein to keep the blood clot to reaching my lungs and causing serious problems.

At this point, I don't even want the myomectomy because it's just been too much for me. I haven't had time to process anything, however, when I spoke to my pulmonologist, he was the person who informed me that it really wasn't an option for me. Because I delayed the myomectomy for so long, I lost so much blood that he was worried that I may go into shock if I didn't get this taken care of. My blood levels at their lowest were 5, when the average person is 12. I needed a blood transfusion just to have the surgery and I had another one after the surgery. This was another shock. I'm not going to get in the allergic reaction I had to the medicine that I had to take for the blood clot that basically took my breath away, literally. I couldn't breathe, very scary.

I eventually had the surgery, my doctor removed a total of 54 fibriods from my uterus. She took a picture of my uterus and it really did look like there could have been a fetus in there. In total, I was in the hospital for 9 days.

So as it stands, I had 3 surgeries in 6 days, I have one very noticeable dent in my right breast where the largest clump of the cells were removed, and I have to go to the doctor every week to make sure that my blood is thinning so that the DVT is dissolving. I can't talk to my friends about this because they don't understand. I have one friend who had a mymectomy (but without complications) so when I talk to her she acts like it's a competition to see who had it worse, which pisses me off. I have a cousin who had to go in for a second mammogram and her results came back fine, so she dismisses my ADH because "it's not real cancer" and so I literally feel like I have no one around me who understands how I feel. I was thisclose to breast cancer. If the place where I was going to get my ultra sound for my fibriods had not been a breast care clinic, I wouldn't have caught it when I did. I am constantly going back and forth for being so grateful for finding out at the earliest possible stage but at the same time with the ADH, I am practically first in line to get it in the future. I have to have an MRI and ultrasound every year.

At this point I just want to get back to normal, but I haven't been able to. Every morning when I look at my breast it's a constant reminder of what I've been through. For those of you who have been through something similiar, how long did it take you to get back to "normal"? At this point, I'm considering therapy.
You have been through so much stress, I can't imagine how you must be feeling. I am sorry you don't have someone close you can talk to.
If you feel therapy would help you, then do it. Its normal after such upheaval to feel like you need someone to talk to about it.
I think you have been courageous, getting in and taking care of it all. Some people are overwhelmed and stick their head in the sand. Please follow up with your doctors and keep them informed and they will keep you informed and getting the treatment you need.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:35 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,276,472 times
First off, I'd like to educate you and let you know that even though family history plays a part in breast cancer, it is not necessary to have a family member with breast cancer in order for you to be diagnosed with it.
I have no family history and I got breast cancer.

Like one of the other poster's stated, you may need to make yourself a 'new' normal. I had a mastectomy last March and went through chemo after that. I finished chemo the end of August. I feel good right now but I don't feel the same I did before. Hopefully, I will continue to improve.

I also think you need to change medical staff. The ones you have now seem a bit flaky. I had to drop one of my docs and get another one during my process and it wasn't that big of an issue to change.
Do your research. Take what the docs say, along with what you've read online or otherwise and sift through what sounds good to you and throw out the rest. Good communication and asking questions (even though you may think that you sound like a pain in the butt) are essential when talking with medical pros. A good medical pro will be happy to answer your questions and talk to you; if not, get rid of them and go to someone else.

Hope this has helped you and I hope things start to go forward for you.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,835,720 times
I don't think there is any getting back to "normal". Not only do I have a new normal, I also have just a bit of a cloud hanging over me - always in the back of my mind - is the cancer back? You've been through a lot. Give yourself plenty of time to process all that you've been through. I'm a year and 4 months out from finding my lump. I've had 3 surgeries, chemo, radiation, and countless doctor appointments. I'm starting to feel like I'm back to being me, but it's a new me, which is OK. You just have to make peace with the new.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,581,788 times
That dark cloud would always visit every time it got close to followup appointment time.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:34 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,835,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
That dark cloud would always visit every time it got close to followup appointment time.
For me it's every time I have a new pain, or "symptom". The rational part of me knows better, but there's still that nagging little voice........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer