Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:03 PM

106 posts, read 287,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Thanks...as I said, I am aware that the prognosis is grim (as is my friend) although stage 2A PC is good; it's usually not caught so early.

I guess rephrasing my question a bit...what can I do to be supportive and helpful for someone who is facing a difficult cancer?
my mom passed from pancreatic cancer. Moderator cut: off topic
stage 2A still leaves some time for possible improvements. i don't know about full recovery, but extended time could be a possibility.

our ridiculous approach to healing cancer patients in america is so ineffective it's mind boggling. the only thing i'd recommend is to seek out all possible alternatives like a ravenous wolf.

i certianly wish you and your friend well. sorry to hear about this struggle you are all going through.

best,
jack k

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-08-2011 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 05:20 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Moderator cut: off topic my friend does live quite healthy, not that sedentary, neither a smoker nor a drinker, eats a decent diet from what I've seen.

Moderator cut: off topic
My friend had a "cyberknife" radiation treatment yesterday and will have another later in the week. His oncologist does not want to do surgery at this point, I guess she thinks the radiation is the least invasive route for now since this was caught relatively early. He is looking into a second opinion though and roselvr has sent me many helpful links, which I've passed on.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-08-2011 at 12:04 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

As a fellow cancer survivor who will have to continue certain treatments for the rest of my life, THANK YOU!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-08-2011 at 12:06 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
As a fellow cancer survivor who will have to continue certain treatments for the rest of my life, THANK YOU!
Your welcome. I want to pay it forward. The cancer is something that crosses my mind daily. I like what they are doing with cyber knife.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,775,653 times
A friend of ours had Lymes Disease the summer of 09. She still didnt feel right, and after about 2-3 months of asking her Doc to run more tests, they finally found the cancer. It was in advanced stages, but i dont recall how far. She was given 3-6 months to live.

She stayed positive throughout all the intense treatments and the cancer always shrunk - but came back even bigger. She just finished up her 3rd round of treatments in the past 14 months, was planning a trip to Florida - but her body failed her and she passed on Saturday when her heart gave out.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,294 times
I am a cancer survivor but I prefer the term cancer warrior. Prostate cancer but I was off the charts in PSA(Prostatic Specific Antigen) which measure how many antigens the body is manufacturing to combat the tumors. Again, I was off the charts. My urologist said I would be gone in two years. That was 10 years ago. Lesson; never listen to the naysayers.

I used a therepy of radiation and was on Lupron for about 3 years. I completed 45 doses of radiation and used the Lupron for three years after that treatment. I came off Lupron seven years ago. I now have a PSA lower than most every man my age, ill or healthy.

I used vitamins and supplements that were specific for a helathy prostate. I still do.

You should help your friend in the following ways:

1) Moral and Physical support. Tell yor friend to be determined to do anything in order to defeat this insidious disease.

2) Read everything you and your friend can on this disease. What it responds to in terms of holitistic treatment. Leave the Chemo and radiation to the Pros. Learn what foods, vitamins and supplements will aid best in producinmg antioxidents that one wants to bolster in order to fight the tumors.

3) I drink Black Current Juice, blueberry mixes of juice, and fresh Pomergranite juice. All are loaded with antioxidents. Also dark fruits like blueberries, plums, and and other dark fruits.

4) Learn what therapies will minimize the side effects of chemo.

5) Design a diet rich in antioxidents. For example, instead of white potatoes, substitute Sweet potatoes since they are loaded with antioxidents. Find vegetables like Broccoli that are rich in vitamins and antioxicents. Dark green and other darker color vegetables. Tomatoes are a gift from heaven. Eat them slightly cooked so you don't loose the vitamins and antioxidents effects. Raw tomatoes are good, but barely cooked one are the best.

6) ELiminate all sugar in the diet. Cancer cells feed upon sugar. Substitute honey, sativia, and other organic sweetners.

7) Eliminate coffee. Substitutte a rich green tea from China. I drink 8 ounces daily sweetened with honey and a bit of lemon for bettter absorbtion.

8) Nuts have very good healing elements. Almonds, Walnuts, peanuts, and other nuts are very good for their vitamins. Try to eat saltless neuts since salts tend to raise BP and high blood pressure works against the patient.

9) Eliminate any processed foods. Fresh food is best with lower portions of meat but by no means do not eliminate meats for their protiens since the body requires strength and meats are one of the the best sources for immediate protiens.

10) Most important: DO NOT EVER GIVE UP. NEVER ALLOW YOUR FRIEND TO ADMIT DEFEAT. ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING IN THIS FIGHT FOR LIFE. APPROACH EVERY DAY AS A NEW DAY TO CONTINUE THE BATTLE. NEVER GIVE UP. BE A CANCER WARRIOR!

I wish your firend all of the luck in the owrld in this fight. Get the books, the attitiudes, and all of thei information you can on this canacewr. Knowledge is power and the more you know the more you can design a program to aid the routine chemo and radiation. Best of luck and my prayers will be with your firend. Now go out and get em!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:09 AM

106 posts, read 287,561 times
what an awesome post. what an awesome attitude. what an awesome success story. i love the fighter mentality, and i don't wonder for a moment why you are still here with us. thank you so much for your contribution here brien51.

you nailed it!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kronk View Post
what an awesome post. what an awesome attitude. what an awesome success story. i love the fighter mentality, and i don't wonder for a moment why you are still here with us. thank you so much for your contribution here brien51.

you nailed it!

Thanks Jack..it's all from experience. I was diagnosed at age 49! It threw me for a loop but I was never one to ever give up. Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
A friend of ours had Lymes Disease the summer of 09. She still didnt feel right, and after about 2-3 months of asking her Doc to run more tests, they finally found the cancer. It was in advanced stages, but i dont recall how far. She was given 3-6 months to live.

She stayed positive throughout all the intense treatments and the cancer always shrunk - but came back even bigger. She just finished up her 3rd round of treatments in the past 14 months, was planning a trip to Florida - but her body failed her and she passed on Saturday when her heart gave out.
That is common with some types of cancers. That is awful news. I am sorry.

Moderator cut: orphaned part of post I spent hours reading and researching everything I could about my disease.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-08-2011 at 12:08 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Moderator cut: orphaned quote
I think you misunderstood me. If someone would have come up to me from the time of diagnosis through treatments I'd a told them to get lost. That is my choice as a patent. I am not making that threat now. I was trying to explain what some peoples reactions might be. If one does respond that way it smart to back down. That was the point I was trying to make.

I guess I am not out to dismiss alternative treatments. I ask that they face the scrutiny that other more conventional treatments face before being applied. When doing that, the burden of proof lies with the one making the statement.

If it is a misunderstanding I owe you an apology.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-08-2011 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer