Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 01:20 PM

567 posts, read 1,009,470 times

Advertisements

My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer back in January. He has had surgery but they couldn't get it all the first time around. Since then he has had multiple chemo treatments and starts radiation next week. The doctors are saying they think he might have a chance to get rid of all of the cancer when he has his next surgery. Which will be after his radiation treatments are complete. Possible late July.

My dad is 71 years old and is currently still smoking cigarettes. He says he will stop once he starts radiation but thats what he said after his first surgery. He is also not eating like he was told to do. He is only eating once a day and the doctors told him he needs to be eating 3 times a day. I have been trying to get him to eat but he says he feels fine and isn't hungry. Before he was diagnosed he only ate once a day as well. He is currently losing weight but he says he always loses weight in the summer.

Medical marijuana is currently not available in NC atm, but I do know where to get it and do smoke ocassionally. I asked him if he wanted to try some with me next time I got some and he said he would. I know it will help with his appetite along with other things. If he does find out he enjoys it I will buy him a vaporizer.

I would like to hear from other cancer patients that believe they have benefited from marijuana.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 05:55 AM

15,827 posts, read 21,337,936 times
It helps me with pain and anxiety. I have a very long course of chemo (8 months) and have only just finished my 4th month, so the cumulative effects are rough. I am in a lot of pain for the week after my treatment. Pain meds don't really help and their side effects are awful for me - including making it hard for me to sleep.

I am on anxiety medication so I'm hoping I won't feel the need to smoke as much with the medication and therapy. However, when I smoke it's the one time I don't feel like I have a cancer. There's no bigger gift for me.

I don't really have any appetite problems besides the first 2 or 3 days after chemo (and in fact have gained weight like crazy on the steroids) but I make sure I put plates of healthy things in front of me when I smoke.

Medical marijuana isn't legal in my state either, but marijuana possession is decriminalized. When I have more energy after I've kicked this thing, I hope to work on the campaign to get medical marijuana in Massachusetts. I am lucky that I am young and have friends who practically wouldn't take no for an answer when I was first diagnosed about having me try pot. Not everyone has that option and if it helps people from avoiding suffering then by all means we should have more access to it.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:00 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,627,972 times
I'm also a medical marijuana patient. I have leukemia. I have to take an oral chemotherapy drug every day for the rest of my life or until they find another treatment. So I am basically sick everyday for about 5 hours.

The medical marijuana is a blessing. It helps with my pain, nausea, the diarrhea, anxiety and numerous other things. But the most important thing it does is make every day tolerable. Being sick every day for the past 11 months on this chemo drug I take begins to get to you. The medical marijuana makes everything easier. In my opinion, it would be a better choice than cigarettes for your dad.

I have a friend who has been fighting cancer for 15 years. He has been through more than anyone I know. He is also a medical marijuana patient. He had extensive radiation to his neck and jaw area. Lost all his teeth. Then lost part of his jaw bone and had reconstructive surgery to replace it. I don't think he would have made it through all the treatments and surgery without it. He lost a lot of weight, mostly due to the chemo and radiation treatments. Nothing tasted good and he could not chew. The medical marijuana helped with his appetite, pain, etc.

Good luck with your dad. I'm sorry he has to go through this. He needs to keep up his strength to endure these treatments.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:42 PM

567 posts, read 1,009,470 times
Thank you charolastra00 and Beth56. I am suppose to be grabbing a bag this week and I will hopefully get him to try it Friday or Saturday night. I will let you know how he reacts to it.

He told me he tried marijuana once back in the late 70s but it made him really paranoid and uncomfortable. I informed him thats just about everyones first reaction to it. It was mine as well. But after you get use to the effect, it's honestly heavenly.

charolastra00, have you thought about purchasing a vaporizer for healthier intake? No heat and no resin.

Beth56, I can tell hes getting weaker. He had his 8th treatment last week and thats why I am trying to get him to eat more. Thats why I'm hoping marijuana could possibly help.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:14 PM

15,827 posts, read 21,337,936 times
Honestly, a vaporizer isn't in my budget. In fact, I only get marijuana through the donations of friends because I couldn't afford it on my own.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:58 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,627,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
He told me he tried marijuana once back in the late 70s but it made him really paranoid and uncomfortable. I informed him thats just about everyones first reaction to it. It was mine as well. But after you get use to the effect, it's honestly heavenly.
There are basically two types of marijuana, Sativa and Indica. Sativa is less potent and often considered a daytime medication. Indica is more potent. If the medication is very potent, it can cause what I call the "heebie jeebies". Or perhaps your dad would feel paranoid or uncomfortable. If he does try it and gets that "feeling", tell him to drink a little juice or have something with a little sugar in it, perhaps 1/2 a soft drink or a cookie. See if that helps after 10 minutes or so. Also, soft music, a heating pad, or anything relaxing can also help. I also like neck and foot massages.

I view this as medication. And with most medications, there can be side effects. If your father is not very stable on his feet normally, there may also be some concern of falling. It can take awhile to understand how it works and affects you personally. So please be aware of this. Take small steps until you both know how this will affect him. And no driving while intoxicated, just like with alcohol.

.................................................. ..
I am not a medical professional and the above is informational only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer