Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,327,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
It's been a while, but just to follow up on this: I didn't have diverticulosis, at all. I had a 37 cm tumor on my ovaries. Had it removed along with a complete hysterectomy a week ago Monday. Kinda scary. Biopsy available next week, may be some cancer in the tumor. CT scan revealed this and wow, things are moving pretty fast.
Glad you got a proper diagnosis and the correct surgery. Hope your recovery is going smoothly and that biopsy results are clear!

Hysterectomy was one of the better decisions I've made for myself. In time I hope you feel so well that you'll agree

Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 AM

915 posts, read 2,119,501 times
Thank you! I do feel better, almost normal. Little stingy pains here and there but I don't feel I need the pain meds.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I never met a vegan who didn't consume soy protein isolates on a regular, usually daily, basis. It's terrible for you, and most likely carcinogenic. i suggest you cut it out of your diet immediately.
I googled "soy protein isolates" and I'll look into it. I prefer rice milk and don't eat that much soy; mostly vegetables, fruit, green tea, peanut butter. I do eat eggs right now, so that disqualifies me for strict vegan. Eggs are in bread, and I eat that (whole wheat).

My big thing has been steeling myself against the habitual use of salt, sugar and fat. This is what i grew up on and what I tend to go to, under stress. Food has to become a source of nourishment versus the emotional component, and that is very, very hard to do (at least for me).

...and then I read that rice has strychnine in it. Nevertheless, still better, IMHO, than loads of bloody dead animals every day.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 AM

NOTE: As mentioned in the first post of the thread, I originally posted this in a different forum; the mods have moved it twice, since discussion of possible cancer was not appropriate where I originally posted it. 'turned out to be cancer,' however, is not really accurate as I won't know until the 28th whether the tumor was or wasn't cancerous...

Sorry if this is confusing.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 AM

36,972 posts, read 40,923,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I never met a vegan who didn't consume soy protein isolates on a regular, usually daily, basis. It's terrible for you, and most likely carcinogenic. i suggest you cut it out of your diet immediately.
Do you have a source for this statement?

Taylor & Francis Online :: Soy intake and cancer risk: A review of the in vitro and in vivo data - Nutrition and Cancer - Volume 21, Issue 2

"Of the 26 animal studies of experimental carcinogenesis in which diets containing soy or soybean isoflavones were employed, 17 (65%) reported protective effects. No studies reported soy intake increased tumor development. The epidemiological data are also inconsistent, although consumption of nonfermented soy products, such as soymilk and tofu, tended to be either protective or not associated with cancer risk; however, no consistent pattern was evident with the fermented soy products, such as miso. Protective effects were observed for both hormone‐ and nonhormone‐related cancers. While a definitive statement that soy reduces cancer risk cannot be made at this time, there is sufficient evidence of a protective effect to warrant continued investigation.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 AM

15,785 posts, read 21,296,886 times
If it is cancer, make sure you speak with an oncology nutritionist. They are trained to be culturally sensitive (mine actually studied up on the laws of eating Kosher before she met me because my oncologist assumed that I kept Kosher!) as well as aware of the nutritional needs during and after treatment. Particularly with a vegan - or mostly vegan - diet, you need more tailored advice.

I do second the recommendation to steer away from soy products. That doesn't mean you can't have *any* soy, but keep in mind that soy filler is in almost all processed foods. You eat a lot more soy than you intend to. In particular, soy consumption is linked with female reproductive cancers (breast cancer being the stand out) because of the fluctuations it causes with estrogen levels.

Not that you shared that much, but it doesn't sound like you're getting adequate amounts of protein - which I'm sure was difficult when you were told to stay off of legumes, nuts, and seeds! Try to have at least one meal based around a legume.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:01 AM

No, I eat lots of beans and other legumes. Every day. I don't think I eat any processed foods..unless you count the wheat bread (?).

It's kind of an inside joke that if you tell a non-vegan or non-vegetarian that you're vegan (or vegetarian), the first thing they say is likely to be concerns about "getting enough protein." There's protein in broccoli!!

Old 03-19-2012, 11:28 AM

36,972 posts, read 40,923,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

I do second the recommendation to steer away from soy products. That doesn't mean you can't have *any* soy, but keep in mind that soy filler is in almost all processed foods. You eat a lot more soy than you intend to. In particular, soy consumption is linked with female reproductive cancers (breast cancer being the stand out) because of the fluctuations it causes with estrogen levels.

This does not appear to be true.

British Journal of Cancer - Abstract of article: Soya foods and breast cancer risk: A prospective study in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan

Soy Food Intake and Breast Cancer Survival, December 9, 2009, Shu et al. 302 (22): 2437

"Conclusion: Among women with breast cancer, soy food consumption was significantly associated with decreased risk of death and recurrence."

Old 03-19-2012, 12:55 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,007,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I agree ... and I'll support your statement from a completely different viewpoint. My Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma was first discovered in my right testicle. This testicle was removed and the left testicle was irradiated. Therefore, my body's ability to produce testosterone is significantly challenged. All I have left to produce testosterone is my adrenal gland.

Estrogen inhibits testosterone and I am avoiding soy so that I don't encourage estrogen growth. In fact, one of the ways I am creating testosterone is through the use of Resveratrol, a natural substance made from red grape skin extract. Resveratrol inhibits estrogen growth, which further allows me to support the little testosterone that my adrenal glands can produce.

Through the use of Resveratol and the avoidance of soy, I have been able to maintain acceptable testosterone levels.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:45 PM

15,785 posts, read 21,296,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
This does not appear to be true.

British Journal of Cancer - Abstract of article: Soya foods and breast cancer risk: A prospective study in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan

Soy Food Intake and Breast Cancer Survival, December 9, 2009, Shu et al. 302 (22): 2437

"Conclusion: Among women with breast cancer, soy food consumption was significantly associated with decreased risk of death and recurrence."

I am looking at about 20 studies right now that disagree or state that results are inconclusive. They're all on a password protected database through my employer. Here's one:

Soy Isoflavones, CYP1A1, CYP1B1, and COMT Polymorphisms, and Breast Cancer: A Case-Control Study in Southwestern China. DNA & Cell Biology; Aug2011, Vol. 30 Issue 8, p585-595, 11p, 6 Charts

There seem to be concerns that many of the studies done on breast cancer and soy were in Asia where soy consumption is significantly higher. It may be that Asian populations better withstand it.

In any case, my oncologists (including my onc at Dana-Farber - one of the top 3 cancer centers in the world) and onc nutritionist have all strongly recommended me to limit my soy intake. Though my cancer was a lymphoma, I am at a much higher risk for OTHER cancers not only because of the treatments I received, but also because those who have lymphoma under 30 are disproportionately more likely to get a second cancer later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer