Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:53 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,855 times

Advertisements

I'm a little annoyed because I switched from vegetarian to pure vegan (a la Dr. Neal Barnard) recently, and then developed diverticulosis. How annoying! I don't know if those things are related but the things you can eat as a vegan -- beans, whole grains, fruits, vegetables -- many are the causal elements in diverticulosis. I can't have beans, peanuts, anything with seeds (like tomatoes and cucumbers!), dried fruit (raisins!).

To heal this problem (I'm Native American and I really do not trust doctors and their medications/surgeries), a friend suggested I use this product (no, I don't work for them!):

Living Fuel SuperBerry Ultimate Drink Mix - LivingFuel

Along with my decaf green tea (thank goodness I don't have to give that up), distilled water and Probiotics.

Does anyone have experiences with this Living-Fuel product?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-19-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 12-07-2011, 08:51 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Sounds like you need to rethink being a vegan.
Personally I do not by into any drink mixes. I would rather get the nutrients from real food.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:42 AM

Please; let's not let this thread deteriorate into a discussion--pro or con--on the issue of eating animals. For me (and it's my issue), that's just not an option. So, please don't recommend that, whatever you "buy" into.

I would appreciate it. I don't want to get into trouble with the moderators, and I don't want to cause a ruckus: my question is, has anyone used this specific product. And maybe secondarily, how have other people with divertuculosis treated their condition.

Postscript:
There are people who don't know the distinction between vegetarianism and veganism. Vegetarianism is not eating any animal flesh--nothing with a face, so to speak. Veganism is no animal products whatsoever; no eggs, dairy, and usually accompanied by concerns about fur, wool, silk, honey, gelatin**, factory farming, fast food, etc.

** A nearly transparent, faintly yellow, odorless, and almost tasteless glutinous substance obtained by boiling in water the ligaments, bones, skin, etc., of animals, and forming the basis of jellies, glues, and the like.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:52 PM

741 posts, read 1,678,932 times
I have never tried it, but I have heard good things about it. Please be very careful though with the diverticulitis, my mother had it and her colon ruptured when I was 15..She thought it was the flu and didnt go to the DR.. 4 days later she was in a coma, in her own bed, and luckily was rushed into the hospital and cut from pelvis to sternum in an emergency surgery and they found perdinitis (SP?)--and she had a colostomy after that..She was a miracle to have survived! I just want you to know that if you have any bad pain or anything, with that condition, that you have to try to trust Western Medicine.. (I am very much into holistic health myself and very anti-RX)
I commend you for being a vegan also!! I only made it 38 days as a vegan earlier this year..it is soo hard for some people..but if I could do it I would..and maybe I can get back to it someday..

Old 12-07-2011, 03:20 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
Please; let's not let this thread deteriorate into a discussion--pro or con--on the issue of eating animals. For me (and it's my issue), that's just not an option. So, please don't recommend that, whatever you "buy" into.

I would appreciate it. I don't want to get into trouble with the moderators, and I don't want to cause a ruckus: my question is, has anyone used this specific product. And maybe secondarily, how have other people with divertuculosis treated their condition.

Postscript:
There are people who don't know the distinction between vegetarianism and veganism. Vegetarianism is not eating any animal flesh--nothing with a face, so to speak. Veganism is no animal products whatsoever; no eggs, dairy, and usually accompanied by concerns about fur, wool, silk, honey, gelatin**, factory farming, fast food, etc.

** A nearly transparent, faintly yellow, odorless, and almost tasteless glutinous substance obtained by boiling in water the ligaments, bones, skin, etc., of animals, and forming the basis of jellies, glues, and the like.
I said I didn't buy into the drink's. I also said that with what you are experiencing maybe being a vegan is not the best choice. Nowhere did I get into the politics of eating animals.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:29 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
I'm a little annoyed because I switched from vegetarian to pure vegan (a la Dr. Neal Barnard) recently, and then developed diverticulosis. How annoying! I don't know if those things are related but the things you can eat as a vegan -- beans, whole grains, fruits, vegetables -- many are the causal elements in diverticulosis. I can't have beans, peanuts, anything with seeds (like tomatoes and cucumbers!), dried fruit (raisins!).

To heal this problem (I'm Native American and I really do not trust doctors and their medications/surgeries), a friend suggested I use this product (no, I don't work for them!):

Living Fuel SuperBerry Ultimate Drink Mix - LivingFuel

Along with my decaf green tea (thank goodness I don't have to give that up), distilled water and Probiotics.

Does anyone have experiences with this Living-Fuel product?
It sounds to me like you aren't getting enough fat. Also, keep in mind, please that your physiology is going to be different due to your heritage than someone who is not Native American. Not everyone can be vegan successfully. I would strongly suggest that you do some research into the dietary patterns of your ancestors and determine whether or not this choice is truly in your best interests. My guess is that you have some adaptions that is going to require a small amount of animal fat to avoid this problem. Maybe a little omega 3 fish oil will do the trick.

best of luck

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 PM

It's been a while, but just to follow up on this: I didn't have diverticulosis, at all. I had a 37 cm tumor on my ovaries. Had it removed along with a complete hysterectomy a week ago Monday. Kinda scary. Biopsy available next week, may be some cancer in the tumor. CT scan revealed this and wow, things are moving pretty fast.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 PM

61,673 posts, read 87,060,489 times
This is not a Exercise-Fitness Forum topic - I am going to move it to Health and Wellness Forum where more members can participate in discussion.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:43 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,672,442 times
Quote:
It's been a while, but just to follow up on this: I didn't have diverticulosis, at all. I had a 37 cm tumor on my ovaries. Had it removed along with a complete hysterectomy a week ago Monday. Kinda scary. Biopsy available next week, may be some cancer in the tumor. CT scan revealed this and wow, things are moving pretty fast.
I never met a vegan who didn't consume soy protein isolates on a regular, usually daily, basis. It's terrible for you, and most likely carcinogenic. i suggest you cut it out of your diet immediately.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I never met a vegan who didn't consume soy protein isolates on a regular, usually daily, basis. It's terrible for you, and most likely carcinogenic. i suggest you cut it out of your diet immediately.
I'm new to the topic, can you tell me if Soy milk or almond milk would fall into this category?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.