U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 PM

915 posts, read 795,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Me. I had it removed October 2009. No cancer, they said. I had apparantly had it for some time and it had been overlooked by the doctor on more than one occasion..

Now, I have not read to the end of this thread so don't know the outcome.
I am really happy to hear that and I offer you my heartfelt congratulations. I am really hoping that is the case in my case, also. The surgeon said he "had a good feeling about it" and there were no or very low markers, so maybe I will have the same outcome. I'll know next week.

However, he did say we would "discuss cancer treatments" when the biopsy came in. So, I have no real idea.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 07:16 PM

18,141 posts, read 13,627,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
Yeah, I have everything. I guess you're just saying "make a notebook," not directing me to do anything with it. Got cha. Done.
It is a way to remember things, and you won't always hear what the doctor says. It is tool to keep you informed.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 PM

5,794 posts, read 14,229,998 times
Quote:
>> I hope you are doing okay. Just take it a day at a time, an hour at a time if you need to.

Thank you. My thing is, I don't want to feel sorry for myself. I do, but I don't want to. Everything is so scary now but really, I have it better than many people do. I'd really like to finish my doctorate, and teach, and live my life. I may not get to. The only way I can make my life meaningful, I believe, is to be a good and a brave person. I'm going to try.

So many people have died of cancer; why should I be special?
Sometimes you need to have a pity party for yourself and that's okay.

Having said that, lots of people get cancer and do NOT die of it. Unless and until your doctor tells you something to the contrary, there is no reason to think that you won't get through this, finish school, teach and enjoy a long and fulfilling life. You CAN do this! Frankly if you can handle the work involved with getting a doctorate, you can surely handle this!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Having said that, lots of people get cancer and do NOT die of it. Unless and until your doctor tells you something to the contrary, there is no reason to think that you won't get through this, finish school, teach and enjoy a long and fulfilling life. You CAN do this! Frankly if you can handle the work involved with getting a doctorate, you can surely handle this!
No, school is my refuge. As long as I'm in a university setting, I'm fine. It's when I venture out from that setting into the real world, that I get hurt. I look at school like an ashram; I place of refuge.

I hope you're right, however. Everything is sort of unreal. I started teaching again yesterday (private music lessons) and went grocery shopping today with a new assistant. I'm worn out. Every time I feel a pang, I think it's cancer.

People often say that a serious illness or other stressors in life can be a sort of gift; they put you in touch with what is important. And while that sounds like a cliche, it's really absolutely true. There's a famous book by Kübler-Ross about the stages of grief:

Kübler-Ross model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just never thought I would be thinking in these terms myself -- or perhaps not at this time. But I have to now.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 PM

I felt the same way during chemo. I worked as many hours as I could stand. Treat was 200 miles from home, I stayed with my parents. It was in the spring during calving season, so I'd go out and feed bales. I stayed busy as I could, although I wasn't out in public a whole lot.

After my first surgery in late summer, the first few days at home I watched CSPAN BRAC hearings.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I felt the same way during chemo. I worked as many hours as I could stand. Treat was 200 miles from home, I stayed with my parents. It was in the spring during calving season, so I'd go out and feed bales. I stayed busy as I could, although I wasn't out in public a whole lot.

After my first surgery in late summer, the first few days at home I watched CSPAN BRAC hearings.

My doc said "do nothing" for three weeks, until I saw him, but I couldn't do it. It's hard to just sit. I've been doing laundry, and started teaching a few hours a day. And I watch tv all the time, too: either CNN or NCIS or CSI. Probably not good choices, actually. It's hard to find inspirational, upbeat things to watch on tv nowadays.

But I don't feel like reading, I don't feel like studying, and I certainly don't feel like practicing -- which is unlike me. I just want to breath and listen to the birds singing....

Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 AM

To tell you to do nothing the first thing you want to do is "something." What you're feeling is natural for the situation you're in. If you are finding something enjoyable embrace it. NCIS is always a good choice IMO.

Two days after my first surgery the end of August of 05. I needed to take my African Grey Parrot to the vet to get her wings clipped. My now ex wife came picked me and the bird up. The T-shirt I was wearing read "whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly." I was not feeling the best and it showed.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:54 AM

Yeah, like a million other people I love NCIS. It's pretty sad when your best friends are characters in a tv show. Incidentally, one of the mothers of my student is the head nurse in the medical examiner's office here in town. And I asked her if those kinds of shows don't actually cut down on crime because people know or should know that they are very likely to get caught. She said she didn't have any data on that, but that the problem with these kinds of shows is that juries expect issues to be resolved in an hour, and that just doesn't happen. But still: I think these shows are some sort of gov. propoganda, but in a good way.

I feel a little better every day. This Monday it will be three weeks that I had the surgery.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 AM

16,097 posts, read 28,868,597 times
Although I have never had any cancer but the mild skin types, TV has been my life saver on several occasions after surgery. You keep on feeling better and do whatever you want to do!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 AM

48,326 posts, read 38,894,939 times
Quote:
>> I hope you are doing okay. Just take it a day at a time, an hour at a time if you need to.

Thank you. My thing is, I don't want to feel sorry for myself. I do, but I don't want to. Everything is so scary now but really, I have it better than many people do. I'd really like to finish my doctorate, and teach, and live my life. I may not get to. The only way I can make my life meaningful, I believe, is to be a good and a brave person. I'm going to try.

So many people have died of cancer; why should I be special?
I know how you must be feeling. I had cervical cancer, but it had not gone anywhere when I was just 25 years old, with one child. It meant no more babies. That was 50 years ago. In my case it took no time to get the results and the suregery was done before I could fully realize what this all meant.

Now, here we are, my husband has had 3 bouts with cancer (none related, all diifferent kinds) He is in radiation right now and will have another round probably starting in late May. You do get through it, the big C isn't a death notice anymore and many people live long, long lives after surgery, radiation or whatever. I have a friend who's daughter was diagnosed with ovarian cancer over 10 years ago. Yes, she has had a couple recurring problems but is doing fine so far.

Just a few more days and you will have the results. No matter what, keep a positive attitude as much as you can. So you lose your hair, some of those wigs are really cute. Maybe no more treatment wil even be necessary. Go on with life, continue all your regualar activities and things will look better.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer