Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 PM

915 posts, read 2,120,373 times

Advertisements

I thought I had diverticulosis, but I didn't have diverticulosis, at all. I had a 37 cm tumor on my ovaries. Had it removed along with a complete hysterectomy a week ago Monday. Kinda scary. Biopsy available next week, may be some cancer in the tumor. CT scan revealed this and wow, things are moving pretty fast.

Surgery went well and had the staples out today, but don't know quite what to expect. Not looking forward to taking cancer treatments, losing my hair, being sick, etc. Quite a lot to process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,618,429 times
It is, not matter what. The waiting for results is the worst part. Keep us posted.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:10 PM

It is, and it's a life changing event. I never thought it would happen to me (as so many people point out in the face of natural disasters and illnesses). Being faced with possible premature death, possibly a lot of pain, certainly a lot of financial worries and concerns about life events; this is not easy.

The bioposy is not available yet but will be when I see the doctor next week. What I'm wondering is, is there any history of someone having a 30 cm tumor removed from the ovaries (along with a complete hysterectomy), and then not having cancer and living a normal life. That's what I want to know.

Last edited by mvintar; 03-16-2012 at 02:54 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 08:47 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,732,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
It is, and it's a life changing event. I never thought it would happen to me (as so many people point out in the face of natural disasters and illnesses). Being faced with possible premature death, possibly a lot of pain, certainly a lot of financial worries and concerns about life events; this is not easy.

The bioposy is not available yet but will be when I see the doctor next week. What I'm wondering is, is there any history of someone having a 30 cm tumor removed from the ovaries (along with a complete hysterectomy), and then not having cancer and living a normal life. That's what I want to know.

why would you not have a normal life?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:00 PM

36,972 posts, read 40,966,544 times
Quote:

What did the surgeon say after the surgery? Did s/he see anything worrisome? Do you know exactly what the CT scan showed? Sometimes if there are features that look suspicious, the surgeon will send the ovary to the pathologist to have bits frozen and looked at by the pathologist while the patient is still under anesthesia. Was that done?

It is entirely possible for a tumor that big to be totally benign. It was honking big, though.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:29 AM

By "normal life" I mean, one can go on and live out one's life without chemo or radiation, and being constantly ill. Will not get the biopsy result until the 28th. And all tests have come back normal: pap, mammogram, lung x-ray.

He hinted that there might have been some cancer cells in the removed tumor, but I decided yesterday to move to a state with med. mj; I'm not going to do radiation or chemo. I'm just not. He said we would "discuss cancer treatment" on the 28th.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:39 AM

15,798 posts, read 21,316,439 times
All cancers are different, as are treatments. For many, with chemo and radiation, you DO go on to live a normal life. I have 50 or 60 years of living past my cancer- I would have had 6 months without chemo.

Medical marijuana does not cure or treat, it just helps with symptoms. You would be hard pressed to find a doctor who will prescribe it to you if you are actively choosing to not pursue treatment, unless treatment is not a viable medical option.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
All cancers are different, as are treatments. For many, with chemo and radiation, you DO go on to live a normal life. I have 50 or 60 years of living past my cancer- I would have had 6 months without chemo.

Medical marijuana does not cure or treat, it just helps with symptoms. You would be hard pressed to find a doctor who will prescribe it to you if you are actively choosing to not pursue treatment, unless treatment is not a viable medical option.

I'm happy that you survived. I'm 61 now. I think there are some studies which indicate that hemp oil shrinks tumors.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:47 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,624,240 times
Quote:
I'm happy that you survived. I'm 61 now. I think there are some studies which indicate that hemp oil shrinks tumors.
I believe those studies were for the lungs. Medical marijuana is not a treatment. I wish it was, but it hasn't cured my leukemia.

You sound depressed. I'm sure that is normal after the surgery you had. Please don't discount treatment. It may not be as intense as you think.

I pray the biopsy results are good news for you.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I believe those studies were for the lungs. Medical marijuana is not a treatment. I wish it was, but it hasn't cured my leukemia.

You sound depressed. I'm sure that is normal after the surgery you had. Please don't discount treatment. It may not be as intense as you think.

I pray the biopsy results are good news for you.
Thank you. I guess I am depressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer