Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 AM

915 posts, read 2,129,367 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with Tylenol versus Motrin. Tylenol is Acetominophen, correct? I get these mixed up. I'm not supposed to do any blood thinning painkiller pre-op, like Motrin or aspiran, but I can do Tylenol.

What I discovered is that once I ran out of the second prescription for Hydrocod/APA (codeine??) and 600mg Ibuprofen, all the aches and pains I normally have due to my age (I guess?), returned with a vengeance. You know, that feeling deep in your bones of a sort of shudder? Not that painful, though. But joint aches and pains, as well. All of that came back. Tylenol is not helping that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:19 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
What's the deal with Tylenol versus Motrin. Tylenol is Acetominophen, correct? I get these mixed up. I'm not supposed to do any blood thinning painkiller pre-op, like Motrin or aspiran, but I can do Tylenol.

What I discovered is that once I ran out of the second prescription for Hydrocod/APA (codeine??) and 600mg Ibuprofen, all the aches and pains I normally have due to my age (I guess?), returned with a vengeance. You know, that feeling deep in your bones of a sort of shudder? Not that painful, though. But joint aches and pains, as well. All of that came back. Tylenol is not helping that much.
I'm kinda cofused - the only times I've been prescribed Hydrocodine are after major surgeries (I can't take it though, it upsets my stomach too much). It seems overkill for age related aches and pains? It is a narcotic right?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I'm kinda cofused - the only times I've been prescribed Hydrocodine are after major surgeries (I can't take it though, it upsets my stomach too much). It seems overkill for age related aches and pains? It is a narcotic right?
Right; I had a complete hysterectomy and the removal of a 37cm in diameter tumor on the 5th of last month. No cancer outside the tumor, but cancer inside, and I'm starting four rounds of chemo pretty soon.

"Normal" aches & pains are a separate issue, I believe ( I HOPE!!). It's just that the meds from the surgery masked these "normal" pains, and now they're BACK!!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 01:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Yes, Tylenol is not as good as NSAIDs for the old age aches. I can only take Tylenol due to my gastric bypass and sometimes I just don't bother as I know it won't help much. All NSAIDs carry risk of bleeding: Motrin, aleve, etc.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post

unfortunately Tylenol doesn't help much, but it is better than nothing I am told.

Nita

Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
It is and can be very habit forming, but it is a mild pain killer compared to many.

Nita

Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Tylenol doesn't seems to help much with pain that is associated with certain nerves. You might need a doseage that is stronger than the OTC pill.

Motrin is usually a presciption strenght only drug. It would be stronger and can cause bleeding. NEVER mix it with Aspirin as they cancel each other out and really mess up the blood's clotting ability.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,465 times
Quote:
Tylenol doesn't seems to help much with pain that is associated with certain nerves. You might need a doseage that is stronger than the OTC pill.
the advice to use a higher dose of acetaminophen than is available in an OTC preparation of acetaminophen is dangerous - acetaminophen is recommended up to a maximum of 4g/day, consistent with OTC dosing - using higher doses than that will not bring any additional efficacy, and will increase the risk of liver injury.

if maximum doses of acetaminophen are not helping, then generally it would be advisable either to use a different pain killer, or to use a combination of acetaminophen plus something else (so long as the "something else" doesnt contain acetaminophen also!)

Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
the advice to use a higher dose of acetaminophen than is available in an OTC preparation of acetaminophen is dangerous - acetaminophen is recommended up to a maximum of 4g/day, consistent with OTC dosing - using higher doses than that will not bring any additional efficacy, and will increase the risk of liver injury.

if maximum doses of acetaminophen are not helping, then generally it would be advisable either to use a different pain killer, or to use a combination of acetaminophen plus something else (so long as the "something else" doesnt contain acetaminophen also!)

Yes, I've got the 500mg and it says not to use more than eight a day, due to possibility of liver damage. I wonder if there's anything you can take that will help arthritis. I think hot water immersion (swimming, hot tubs, warm showers), yoga, and a vegan diet are the best remedies. But this is OT.

I feel fine today and most of yesterday; I'm wondering if my depression of two days ago wasn't a result of withdrawal from the codeine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer