Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

A great suggestion from Charolastra to create a cancer chat thread. So here it is, off topic, whatever you want, to encourage each other and vent, etc.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 02:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Ok. I'll bite. Second rain shower this afternoon that stopped work for me.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:54 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Ok. I'll bite. Second rain shower this afternoon that stopped work for me.
We can always use rain here; the city is surrounded by cotton and peanut farmers. They could use some rain.

Well---I did it! I cut off all my hair. Not shaved, but cut with scissors down to nothing. The wig is more beautiful than my hair was before I got sick. And wouldn't you know it; a student just knocked on my door to pay me (they skipped yesterday), and I had the wig on. Have to teach five hours tomorrow, including group lesson. Hope it goes well.

It's very freeing, actually. Think I'll just wear a pink baseball cap to chemo.

I'm actually proud of myself. I cut off all my hair and I didn't freak out (well, I cried first). It's not a buzz cut, I just cut it down to the nub with a pair of scissors. The fear of doing it was 100 times worse than the actual doing of it. And it had to happen; it was hurting where the roots of the long hair were pulling. Now it feels good.

Cleaned up the hair, took a shower, and I'm good to go. It's not that bad. I have a nice face and there's a smile on it, as there should be. No more tears, at least not for now.

Last edited by mvintar; 05-04-2012 at 03:32 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 05:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Congrats! Facing things that are hard is a big step.

Our hospitals here have a big bell with a pull-chain in the hall outside the chemo rooms. When you're through all the chemo, they make a ceremony of ringing the bell before you leave. Saw my fav news anchor ringing the bell tonight. She was doing a story on breast cancer last year and got a mammogram to show how easy it is- they discovered her tumor. Six months of chemo and now on to radiation. She has tried on wigs and scarves on-air and showed her bald head. Amazing spirit!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:30 PM

>> Congrats! Facing things that are hard is a big step.

Thank you! It was just another thing that had to be done, like the surgery, the port, the colonoscopy, the chemo, etc. I've come a long way in a short time and my self-esteem is the better for it.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Last chemo treatment I got a coffee cup that had the cancer centers logo on it. It is my favorite cup.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:19 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Man, I didn't get anything when I ended chemo (except for a "Maybe see you in a few months for a stem cell transplant!" conversation). I actually didn't know it was my last chemo until I was there - I thought I would have 8 months of chemo and instead I had 6 months due to the organ damage I sustained.

In other, off topic news, I have a job interview next week for what is essentially a promotion into a different department! I work in my alma mater's alumni relations department and have a final interview for an admissions counselor position, handling underrepresented geographic regions (aka travel!). It's not a huge pay raise, but would probably include a raise. And more vacation time!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 AM

@charolastra00: Good luck on your job interview! I worked at Rice after I graduated -- for a year-- in the econ dept. as the "graduate secretary." It's not easy to get on at a university after you graduate, so I congratulate you for that when you initially got your job.

I wasn't going to be a secretary, I just needed income; what I discovered was that my GRE scores were high enough to go to grad school, which I subsequently did. I earned enough money to move on, and I did (typical musician). But your job sounds interesting.

The way I got the job, BTW, was show up to the interview with the dept. head (Harvard grad) in very conservative clothes and a very demure attitude. I will confess it was all an act, born out of financial desperation. It worked. All the actors are not in Hollywood. But my true self came out eventually. It was an awful job, anyway.

Good luck! Tell us how it goes.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:47 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I was really lucky getting this job. As an undergrad, I worked in a different area of development and my bosses pulled major strings to help me get this job since at the time I was hired, I had already moved back home to Georgia (the job is in the Boston area). It's been a phenomenal first job (and higher ed benefits really helped with cancer) but I want more pay and more power. :P

It would be nice to work in an environment where everyone doesn't think of me as the girl who had cancer. The admissions department knows me and knows my work (I created a social media marketing platform that is up for the highest award of it's kind in higher ed advancement), but doesn't necessarily know my health history. That's hugely important to me.

It's a 3 hour interview, meeting everyone from the Dean down to the receptionist, a 40 minute writing assignment, and a 20 minute presentation (that I prepare in advance).

Old 05-05-2012, 11:54 AM

You must be really brilliant. I was in an EdD here for educational technology; I want to finish but haven't felt well enough. I knew something was wrong but mis-diagnosed myself!! Maybe I can continue next year; it's a fascinating field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer