Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times

Advertisements

An internet diagnosis isn't worth much. As is a diagnosis from some random people who aren't medically trained. Is the spot painful? Does it burn? Sting? Bleed? Is it getting bigger?

You are wise to be concerned, but not alarmed. I would suggest you get a bottle of Glyoxide in the pharmacy and use it according to directions. It helps to soothe and heal minor oral lesions. (No prescription required) If you see no change in a week, call your dentist or your doctor and explain what has happened, what you have done to try to fix it, and that you need professional advice ASAP. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,864 times
I know this lady that has tongue cancer. She found out by going for a normal dentist checkup.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:12 PM

7 posts, read 17,801 times
Exclamation Do I have tongue cancer?!

Please get it checked out! Even if you are young and don't smoke, you can still get it -- and you want to catch it very early, while it is easily treatable.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:04 PM

348 posts, read 849,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
no one other than a doctor can tell you but it sounds like an old fashion sore. Tongue cancer isn't the most common cancer in the world. Why don't you just relax and see what happens in a few days, then, if you are still concerned make an appointment. I think too many of us are getting paranoid about cancers.

I disagree. If more of us were "paranoid" about cancer, there would be more early diagnoses, more survivors, and perhaps even change in behaviors which increase risk of getting certain cancers.

I don't think anyone should be picking on anyone for asking the question that the OP asked. Some of the answers here have been kind, and other condescending.

Cancer is scary and we should all be vigilant about it.

To the OP -- I would go see doctor. There's no shame in being concerned and having it checked out.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:32 PM

523 posts, read 3,804,735 times
the OP last posted about a month ago - he seemed concerned about something that he had noticed on his tongue for what seems to be a few hours - oral cancer, even in people with risk factors, is vanishingly rare in 19 year olds. the picture he provided doesn't look like cancer.

no need to be condescending, agreed...however the chances are this is nothing at all to be worried about. as with any non-urgent symptom you may be concerned about (and this is indeed non-urgent), if it persists for more than a week or two, or gets worse, you should see your doctor. there is no need to go running to a physician for something like this if its only been there for a few hours or days. waste of time and money, and will not make the slightest difference in the long run, irrespective of the diagnosis.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:35 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Ah, google...how you have made hypochondriacs out of everyone.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:56 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
No, all I've eaten so far today is cereal. I also drink two glasses of water shortly after I woke up, one with some apple cider vinegar.

-EDIT- typically cereal and bagles for breakfast with water. Chef boyardi and left overs for lunch and the same with dinner. I haven't eaten any spicy food that I remember of except for the pepperoni pizza I ate yesterday.

Very acidic and could be the culprit. See a dentist.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:15 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1972 View Post
I disagree. If more of us were "paranoid" about cancer, there would be more early diagnoses, more survivors, and perhaps even change in behaviors which increase risk of getting certain cancers.

I don't think anyone should be picking on anyone for asking the question that the OP asked. Some of the answers here have been kind, and other condescending.

Cancer is scary and we should all be vigilant about it.

To the OP -- I would go see doctor. There's no shame in being concerned and having it checked out.
No one here was condescending to the OP. Everyone suggested the same thing. Don't panic. It's probably not cancer but if it doesn't go away in a week, see a doctor/dentist. Certainly not condescending.

As for being paranoid about cancer, all that will get you is worry lines. Paranoia is not a healthy condition. What we should be is concerned. And vigilant. Attuned to our bodies and aware of any significant changes.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Do I have tongue cancer?!
So what is your tongue looking like these days? Did it go away?

Oral Cancer board

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Tongue cancer isn't the most common cancer in the world. .
Oral cancers are on the rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
the OP last posted about a month ago - he seemed concerned about something that he had noticed on his tongue for what seems to be a few hours - oral cancer, even in people with risk factors, is vanishingly rare in 19 year olds. the picture he provided doesn't look like cancer..
Oral cancer in 19 year olds is actually what they're regularly starting to see

Next; Actor Michael Douglas Partners With Oral Cancer Foundation For Early Detection PSA Campaign and I quote
New data shows that the fastest-growing segment of newly diagnosed cases is now young, non-smokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer