U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Status: "Do U follow politics? UMMM, do you mean like Football???" (set 8 days ago)

8,537 posts, read 5,881,513 times

Advertisements

I am in no way knocking chemo or endorsing this study.

BUT, when you are in a spot where chemo is not working and you are starting to go downhill, maybe it is best to try an ALTERNATIVE before your chances of living are all but gone.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Status: "I wear the chain I forged in life..." (set 13 days ago)

4,146 posts, read 3,239,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
My aunt's breast cancer was caught early. She unfortunately died 3 weeks ago. She could have saved herself 6 months of pointless suffering if she had refused treatment.

But of course I admit I could think differently if I was married or had children or someone financially dependent on me. Being single and completely independent I really wouldn't accept very debilitating treatements.
But the point is, not all cancer treatments are debilitating. Mine certainly wasn't. The surgery removed the tumor and the oral chemo only made me slightly tired (and unfortunately, sometimes forgetful).

Until and unless you are handed a terminal diagnosis, you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss treatment out of hand. If you really look closely, life itself is a terminal diagnosis. You're not getting out of here unscathed.

We all have our choices to make and while you believe what you believe, and I respect your position, you might want to wait until you're dealing with the actuality and not just the rhetorical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I am in no way knocking chemo or endorsing this study.

BUT, when you are in a spot where chemo is not working and you are starting to go downhill, maybe it is best to try an ALTERNATIVE before your chances of living are all but gone.
No one would dispute the fact that sometimes it doesn't work, and because most of us have an inherent desire to live, alternative treatments are offering hope where there doesn't seem to be any. No one is arguing the search for any option that might do the trick.

The question is - when the "study" that was referenced in the OP was done, what kinds and stages of cancer were presented to the participants. If the situation is hopeless, I would get my affairs in order and ask for unlimited pain meds to ease my path. But when I was presented with a treatment option that seemed viable, I took it. And here I am, three and a half years later, still pecking away on my laptop and babysitting my grandkids and savoring every sun shower and blade of grass and rabbits in my yard - even if the little suckers are chewing up my plants.

Gone are the days when they took you into the OR, opened you up and just closed you back up again with the instruction to go home and put your affairs in order. We've come a long way since then.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:20 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,546,879 times
Years ago a friend was diagnosed and I went online to do some research. I was surprised to find the same type of info. I found several oncologists who said they would never have chemo if diagnosed. I work in a hospital and it happened here. An Oncologist diagnosed himself and refused the chemo.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 AM

25,603 posts, read 32,377,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
Even when caught early it's still very difficult to control cancer growth. I've known many people who found out they had cancer early...they are no longer with us.
True. But conversely, many people whose outlook was not promising are still with us because of chemotherapy, radiation, surgery, etc.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:21 AM

842 posts, read 535,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
But the point is, not all cancer treatments are debilitating. Mine certainly wasn't. The surgery removed the tumor and the oral chemo only made me slightly tired (and unfortunately, sometimes forgetful).

Until and unless you are handed a terminal diagnosis, you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss treatment out of hand. If you really look closely, life itself is a terminal diagnosis. You're not getting out of here unscathed.

We all have our choices to make and while you believe what you believe, and I respect your position, you might want to wait until you're dealing with the actuality and not just the rhetorical.
In the end everyone should do what they think it's best for them. It's great that you managed to overcome your problem with cancer but I know I would refuse treatment in any case of cancer. I just wouldn't want to deal with the fact that I may try treatment, go through hell and end up dying anyway. It's better to let go and let nature run its course and be done with it.

But like I said before, our opinion depends on which circumstances we have. You have a family of your own and someone dependent on you in some way or another. I don't.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 AM

842 posts, read 535,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
True. But conversely, many people whose outlook was not promising are still with us because of chemotherapy, radiation, surgery, etc.
I know survivor stories bring a smile to people but we have to realise that cancer survivors are very much the exception, not the rule.

My father is a doctor and I remember when we found out my aunt had cancer, my mother was saying 'You never know, I know the cousin of the sister of the neighbour whatever managed to get rid of it' and my father just said 'yeah and go count the ones that died from it the same day'.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:33 AM

16,479 posts, read 31,244,927 times
This thread has run its course.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer