Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,749 times

Advertisements

Hello this if my first time ever posting a blog. I've been told it can be a form of therapy so I figured I would give it a shot

My mom was just diagnosed with colon cancer. Stage 3B....although the DR just "THINKS" it's stage 3B we haven't got results back. She had a mass twice the size of the dr's fist. They removed the mass and some of the lymph nodes that were already affected.

We are waiting for the oncologist to schedule the PET scan...I believe that's what its called..or PAT..I dont know.

My mom, her spirits are so good, while I'm falling apart. Of course as soon as someone says the word CANCER, no matter how hard you try not to, you automatically think the worst.
I want to just sit and hold my mom and cry because I cannot stand the thought of losing her. She keeps telling me "I'm going to be OK, you will see. I know it in myself" She is so strong. I love her so very much but I am so angry with her at the same time, because I have been on her for years about going to get a colonostomy...she just kept telling me I know I know..I know I need to get one

Friends keep telling me to read this article..read this book....search the net..find out all you can. I dont want to read my mom has a 65% survival rate of 5 years. Im so emotional..I'm shutting out my fiancee' when he justs wants to be here for me. I don't want to talk to anyone about this because all I do is cry.

I want to spend every waking minute with my mom...I guess this is how I deal with this. I am strong for her in front of her. But it's my alone time that gets me.

Anyway...Don't know if anyone will read this...but this blogging will be for myself...therapy for me..I guess things I think about but can't say out loud.

If anyone reads this...pray for me and my mom she is such a wonderful woman with the biggest heart. She has been my best friend my entire life...My mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,983,128 times
Hi Tracey,
First let me say I'm sorry you've had to join this club (counts for care givers as well as patients). It is a scary place and it makes the caregivers feel so helpless. DH has stage 4 colon cancer, so I'm pretty familiar with what you're going through.

This place is great, but it's also fairly general - you probably ought to also hang out at the Colon Club which is specifically for colo-rectal cancer (patients, relatives & assorted caregivers). They are amazingly knowledgeable and very patient answering questions and explaining the medical-ese and about various treatments. It's been a huge help to me!

Most likely what your mom is getting is a PET/ct - she will drink some glucose stuff and then go into an MRI-like machine which takes pics of how much of that drink was 'taken up' by the cancer cells. This tells the Dr where all the cancer is and how active it is. It's a very important management tool. and they will do regular PET/ct to compare from the initial one so they can keep tabs on the progress. Did she get a port installed? It's usually just below the collar bone - makes it easier to hook up for chemo.

How your mom reacts to the chemo depends a lot on her: her level of health otherwise, how much exercise she gets, and how much she wants to accept her treatment and not fight it. DH is still going to work every day, still going for cardio walks most days. He had a little trouble with the folfox side effects (hair thinned but didn't fall out, mostly it's the cold sensitivity in the hands and the tingling in the fingers & toes that gets you). Nausea can usually be controlled with meds like Zofran or Compazine. If she has any nausea, she shouldn't be afraid to take something, and if one doesn't work, she can take the other at the same time. Just take one every day to keep an even level in her blood stream. and if it gets bad, don't be afraid to call the dr!

Her attitude is key! and you have to work on sucking it up around her (fall apart as much as you want away from her, but don't show any fear or negative emotion around her - you don't even want the 'what ifs' and 'might nots' lodging in her mind. If you have to, just put it all out of your mind any time you're around her - the more you convince yourself things will be fine, the more she will feel that way and the more likely it is to happen. If you get all doom and gloom, it rubs off on her. She doesn't need that.

Sometimes the first round (6 months) of chemo doesn't work very well, but there are plenty of other things they can try that can work miracles. DH is on his second round and just had another PET and it was amazing! the dr was so tickled he's lowering the chemo dose and got really really excited.

Things have come such a long way from 20 years ago. Even though the folfox didn't work that well, it worked quite well enough that he was still around 6 months later to try something else, and that's a lot better than 20 years ago.

So yes, it is very scary - try not to go into the dark place of 'what if'. People manage for years and years. She will now have a new 'normal' for her life and things to keep an eye on, but it doesn't really have to interfere with things unless she wants it to.

If you have any questions about it, feel free to DM me; but really - go to the Colon Club. They have a sticky that explains nearly all of the common medical terms and procedures, and people are great for explaining various test results and drug protocols.

Hang in there.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:55 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,889,335 times
Hi, Tracey. WannaComeHome is right. Whatever you do, don't let your Mom see your negativity. Those of us who have had cancer, or are caring for someone who has cancer, or who have lost someone to cancer, know that a positive outlook goes a long way in maintaining some semblance of a "normal" life style.

Your Mom is dealing with the reality of the illness. She is reassuring you that she is going to come through this. And she shouldn't have to be doing that. Your main concern needs to be what you can do to help her remain positive. Don't think I'm scolding you. I know how hard it must be for children to hear their parents have cancer. My own sons had a hard time dealing with my diagnosis. But they didn't show it. At least not to me. But their poor wives had to deal with it.

If possible, go to the doctor with your Mom. Take a notebook. Write things down. Encourage Mom to ask questions. (Write them down too, so she doesn't forget to ask)

I had colon cancer in '09. I had surgery and chemo. Right now, I'm doing all the things I did before I was diagnosed. Nobody knows how long their stay on earth will be. Enjoy every moment for however long it lasts, and here's a prayer that it will last for a long time. Hugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer