Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:32 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
Sorry, yes I did mean Edward. That's what I get for replying before the caffeine caught up to my pain medication.
Not a problem; I do that kind of stuff constantly. I can't take any pain meds b/c I'm having my port removed tomorrow and had to lay off the blood thinners for seven days. I'm in pain but I'll live through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 09:55 AM

947 posts, read 1,643,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
Not a problem; I do that kind of stuff constantly. I can't take any pain meds b/c I'm having my port removed tomorrow and had to lay off the blood thinners for seven days. I'm in pain but I'll live through it.
Congratulations early, that's a huge step having your port removed!

Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
Congratulations early, that's a huge step having your port removed!
Yes, I've been pretty lucky compared to most of the people on the cancer forum. Still, I'm scared the C will come back. Probably always will be.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 AM

947 posts, read 1,643,138 times
Quote:
Yes, I've been pretty lucky compared to most of the people on the cancer forum. Still, I'm scared the C will come back. Probably always will be.
I think that's quite normal as long as it doesn't paralyze you or prevent you from moving forward. We're always here when you need to vent.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:13 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,848 times
Quote:
I'm having my port removed tomorrow
How'd the port removal go? My gf's oncologist said it's super easy and they'll just "pop it right out." Kind of a funny way of putting it. She's having it removed in less than 2 weeks.

On the bright side for you mvintar, the port removal shows your onc's confidence that you'll be healthy for a long long long time

Old 08-24-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
How'd the port removal go? My gf's oncologist said it's super easy and they'll just "pop it right out." Kind of a funny way of putting it. She's having it removed in less than 2 weeks.

On the bright side for you mvintar, the port removal shows your onc's confidence that you'll be healthy for a long long long time
Unlike when they put it in, they didn't put me entirely to sleep; there was a blue cloth (paper?) over my face, but they gave me something so I didn't feel much of anything (pressure, is all). It's just about healed already. It was Propofol, that stuff Michael Jackson was abusing. I was always awake and was able to leave the hospital fairly soon after the removal.

Yeah, the surgeon's always said that I'm going to be okay. He even gets kind of PO'd when I mention metastasizing or recurrence. I think he takes it personally.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:50 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Doctors take that sort of thing personally. They dedicate their lives to healing people. Honestly, the fear of the cancer returning is just as real for the doctor as it is the patient. Follow up and keep following up, it is how mitigate the fear.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:02 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times
mvintar - congrats on getting your port out!

I have times too where I fret over cancer spreading. It fills me with fear...very upsetting to think of. Everyone seems to handle this differently. My mom, a breast cancer survivor, says she doesn't worry about it at all. There's no sense in it. But I have a friend who has had serious skin cancer and she frets over it all the time. Every headache is a brain tumor, every cough is a lung tumor. She hates that she worries about it so much. It's terrible.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
To have that fear or concern, that is normal. It always weighed in on my mind come followup and ct scan time.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
mvintar - congrats on getting your port out!

Thank you! I just hope one never has to go back in, obviously. I'm certainly more comfortable knowing those little tings in my stomach are scar tissue. It was scaring me. Now on with life.

What SD4020 said about surgeons devoting their lives to saving people, and taking it personally if the patient doesn't believe they're well -- this struck me as useful, and I wasn't thinking of things from the surgeon's perspective. I guess so. I was totally focused on my own concerns and perceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer