Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 05:13 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times

Advertisements

Studies presented at ESMO 2012 highlight challenges of cancer prevention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Smoking is by far the most effective way to lower your changes of getting lung or throat cancer.

But some other cancers, like breast cancer, are not associated with many lifestyle factors. Many of the risk factors for breast cancer largely outside of one's control:

Getting older.

Being younger when you first had your menstrual period.

Starting menopause at a later age.

Being older at the birth of your first child.

Never giving birth.

Not breastfeeding.

Personal history of breast cancer or some non-cancerous breast diseases.

Family history of breast cancer (mother, sister, daughter).

Treatment with radiation therapy to the breast/chest.

Being overweight (increases risk for breast cancer after menopause).

Long-term use of hormone replacement therapy (estrogen and progesterone combined).

Having changes in the breast cancer-related genes BRCA1 or BRCA2.

Drinking alcohol (more than one drink a day).

Not getting regular exercise.

CDC - Breast Cancer Risk Factors

Drinking more than one drink a day does increase a woman's risk of breast cancer substantially, but I think there is a weaker correlation with obesity or lack of exercise.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:47 PM

Are you sure about the first one?

Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Are you sure about the first one?
Other than the known affects of air polution and smoking on our bodies I don't think there is much evidence period as to what really can being a cause of cancer. Oh, family genes in some cases, like with prostate and breast cancer, but every study comes up with sonething different: Like all studies there are so many vaiables. Of course age does play a role as well, but how many people live to be 100 without developing cancer?

Old 09-30-2012, 07:13 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Nothing in life is 100% even if you take steps to prevent cancer or what the studies show to prevent cancer, you can STILL get cancer.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Nothing in life is 100% even if you take steps to prevent cancer or what the studies show to prevent cancer, you can STILL get cancer.
Aging alone can be a factor, and of course you are 100% right. This doesn't mean we should do nothing and just do our own thing, but paying too much attention to what is considered ways to prevent it isn't the answer either: Here are just a few examples: not a person in my family, as far as we know, has even had a skin cancer, but I was diagnosed with cervical cancer at 24 years old. My husband comes from a family with no history of cancer except an aunt who did pass away from colon cancer at 90 years old. He has been fighting 3 different cancers (unrelated I will add) for about 5 years now. We have a freind who has not had cancer (thank God) and yet every female in her family has had breast cancer at a very young age and most did die. She is not 73...So, obviously, any of us can get it, but spending our lives worrying isn't going to make it not happen...We are all going to check out of this world someday of something.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Aging alone can be a factor, and of course you are 100% right. This doesn't mean we should do nothing and just do our own thing, but paying too much attention to what is considered ways to prevent it isn't the answer either: Here are just a few examples: not a person in my family, as far as we know, has even had a skin cancer, but I was diagnosed with cervical cancer at 24 years old. My husband comes from a family with no history of cancer except an aunt who did pass away from colon cancer at 90 years old. He has been fighting 3 different cancers (unrelated I will add) for about 5 years now. We have a freind who has not had cancer (thank God) and yet every female in her family has had breast cancer at a very young age and most did die. She is not 73...So, obviously, any of us can get it, but spending our lives worrying isn't going to make it not happen...We are all going to check out of this world someday of something.
When I check out of this world I want to be like my grandad, quiet and in his sleep. Not like the passengers in his car.

Yes, me and my sister are the only two siblings out of six who have had cancer.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
When I check out of this world I want to be like my grandad, quiet and in his sleep. Not like the passengers in his car.

Yes, me and my sister are the only two siblings out of six who have had cancer.
Good one, SD!

There is an old saying, "You can't take it with you." When Jack Benny heard this, he said, "If I can't take it with me, I'm not going!".

When people tell me they're afraid of dying, I have a hard time restraining myself from telling them that they are already dying. Once fear fades and rational thought kicks in, it's easier to realize that no one will live forever, not even in the minds and hearts of loved ones, as they, too, are destined to die.

If I have to go, I just pray that it won't be a lingering painful siege, but quickly...like SD's grandad!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Good one, SD!

There is an old saying, "You can't take it with you." When Jack Benny heard this, he said, "If I can't take it with me, I'm not going!".

When people tell me they're afraid of dying, I have a hard time restraining myself from telling them that they are already dying. Once fear fades and rational thought kicks in, it's easier to realize that no one will live forever, not even in the minds and hearts of loved ones, as they, too, are destined to die.

If I have to go, I just pray that it won't be a lingering painful siege, but quickly...like SD's grandad!
All joking aside, both of my grandfathers died at 82 and 94, one was a myocardial infarction the other at 94 of old age. My grandmothers were same story, one was well into her 80s. And the other was 95, finally had a stroke and passed away.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
All joking aside, both of my grandfathers died at 82 and 94, one was a myocardial infarction the other at 94 of old age. My grandmothers were same story, one was well into her 80s. And the other was 95, finally had a stroke and passed away.
Who knows? Maybe with a better diet, they would've lasted longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer