Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:01 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times

Advertisements

(Phoenix, AZ Feb. 14, 2014) -- Researchers at The University of Arizona Cancer Center at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix have discovered that many women with low-grade serous carcinoma of the ovary or peritoneum have seen their tumors stabilize or shrink after taking a regular dose of the compound selumetinib.

The findings, published in the Feb. 14 edition of The Lancet Oncology, show that selumetinib targets a mutation in the MAPK pathway for patients with low-grade serous carcinoma, allowing for treatment on previously chemoresistant tumors.

"This is a potentially important breakthrough for the Gynecologic Oncology Group," said John Farley, MD, a gynecologic oncologist in the Division of Gynecologic Oncology and the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Creighton University School of Medicine at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, a Dignity Health Member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Any breakthrough is better than nothing, but I am always a littel learny of these reports. Too often they end up proving not to be a positive as had hoped for, but regardless, we all know science is doing wonders in cancer research. Those cancers that used to a death sentence, seem to be nothing more than a bump in the road today, or some of them anyway..

Old 02-16-2013, 08:04 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Any breakthrough is better than nothing, but I am always a little leery of these reports...
I am, too. The problem with ovarian cancer is that there is no test for it. The symptoms for ovarian cancer mimic indigestion, so often women don't see a doctor in the early stages since they believe it's due to stomach problems or stress.

Low-grade serious carcinoma, as the article states, assumes that this is caught at a very early stage, which unfortunately is less likely with ovarian cancer than any other feminine reproductive cancer.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM

Tests for ovarian cysts.

Ovarian cysts: Tests and diagnosis - MayoClinic.com

Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
For a doctor to find a cyst on a woman's ovary, she would need to undergo a pelvic exam, which many women don't have every year. A pelvic exam is not a suggested or required test, the way a mammogram or even a PAP is.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 PM

It would help if people would eat fruits, vegetables, and other growing plants, preferably not cooked. Cooking takes away from the good stuff that is good for you.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I am, too. The problem with ovarian cancer is that there is no test for it. The symptoms for ovarian cancer mimic indigestion, so often women don't see a doctor in the early stages since they believe it's due to stomach problems or stress.

Low-grade serious carcinoma, as the article states, assumes that this is caught at a very early stage, which unfortunately is less likely with ovarian cancer than any other feminine reproductive cancer.
Low grade is not the same as early stage. There are 4 stages and I believe 3 grades. Although low grade is not a bad thing by any means, it does not mean the same thing as the stage. My ovca was stage 3B, moderate grade.
And I have to add that I could've eaten an all organic, vegan, flaxseed, blah blah blah diet and would still have gotten ovca cancer. My sister and I were born with a genetic mutation that predisposes us to certain cancers---the body's repair system for abnormal cells is defective (Lynch Syndrome).

I too am always skeptical of articles that tout ovca cures. It's so difficult to treat---what works for one woman too often doesn't work for another with the exact same DX.
Excellent debulking surgery and chemotherapy has enabled me to be an 8 year survivor.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 PM

That is what doctors always say. It is what they've been taught so it's all they know -- it is either zapping you or giving you chemo. They may even think that vitamin C is bad for you, when you should get a transfusion of the stuff like crazy.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
15 year old invents a diagnostic method for lung, ovarian, and pancreatic cancer that costs 3 cents and takes five minutes.

Quote:
His novel patent-pending sensor has proved to be 28 times faster, 28 times less expensive, and over 100 times more sensitive than current tests.
Read more: The 15-year-old schoolboy whose invention could revolutionise cancer detection | Mail Online

Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Low grade is not the same as early stage. There are 4 stages and I believe 3 grades.
Thanks for the information.

Quote:
I have to add that I could've eaten an all organic, vegan, flaxseed, blah blah blah diet and would still have gotten ovca cancer.
Agreed. Both of my friends with ovarian cancer were probably the healthiest eaters I've ever known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer