Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 AM

21 posts, read 33,908 times

Advertisements

It's been two great days I almost feel normal but as we all know it's back on the chemo pump come Monday morning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 12:48 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandy_Dan View Post
It's been two great days I almost feel normal but as we all know it's back on the chemo pump come Monday morning!

sending you well wishes and positive energy!!! Day by day...............day by day!!!
Post again and let your CD friends know how you're doing.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:38 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Not all that long ago I went through this with my son. Keep your head up and keep on keeping on. Chemo is harsh but my son is alive and improving. It takes time. I wish you the best.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:23 PM

As I lie here with my pump on I feel really good! The oncology nurse started me on a fourth chemical yesterday by Doctors orders of course and I can honestly say that I am doing so much better in this round! My diarrhea has started to settle down and my energy level is up even though I'm not pushing my luck by trying to do to much! I am going to attempt some part time work next week I am a Truck Driver by trade and will be making a short delivery Monday just to see if I can maybe return in some capacity which would help both myself and my employer out in the long run I'm really blessed to work for great people. I appreciate all the replies and moral support thanks again! Dan.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:36 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
As I lie here with my pump on I feel really good! The oncology nurse started me on a fourth chemical yesterday by Doctors orders of course and I can honestly say that I am doing so much better in this round! My diarrhea has started to settle down and my energy level is up even though I'm not pushing my luck by trying to do to much! I am going to attempt some part time work next week I am a Truck Driver by trade and will be making a short delivery Monday just to see if I can maybe return in some capacity which would help both myself and my employer out in the long run I'm really blessed to work for great people. I appreciate all the replies and moral support thanks again! Dan.
Hi Dan, I'm in remission from Stage 2 CC. I had Folfox 6 with the 5FU pump (12 rounds, 5.5 months). What a pain. I fortunately didn't have many side effects from the 5FU (a few mouth sores which I could keep at bay, peeling skin), the oxalyplatin was far worse. The pump was just a huge PITA more than anything.

I wish you the best, I'm glad you went to the dr and are feeling better. Any questions, please PM me.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Hi Dan, I'm in remission from Stage 2 CC. I had Folfox 6 with the 5FU pump (12 rounds, 5.5 months). What a pain. I fortunately didn't have many side effects from the 5FU (a few mouth sores which I could keep at bay, peeling skin), the oxalyplatin was far worse. The pump was just a huge PITA more than anything.

I wish you the best, I'm glad you went to the dr and are feeling better. Any questions, please PM me.
I'm on the modified Folfox 6 with the 5FU on the pump as well the last two cycles I was miserable by this time but the additional chemical they added yesterday which I have now learned was a combination synthetic antibiotic " Flagil" and an Anti Nauseous combination sure seems to make a big difference!

Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
Quote:
At least you now can see that most of why you feel bad is the chemo and once that is over with you should be feeling more like yourself again.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:09 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
I'm on the modified Folfox 6 with the 5FU on the pump as well the last two cycles I was miserable by this time but the additional chemical they added yesterday which I have now learned was a combination synthetic antibiotic " Flagil" and an Anti Nauseous combination sure seems to make a big difference!
I had the pump the entire 12 rounds but only 9 rounds of Oxalyi b/c of worsening neuropathy. I'm 6 months out since my last chemo round, the neuropathy is gone in my hands, but not my feet (and I'm not sure I'll ever be rid of it, SMALL price to pay however!).

I was given an anti nausea drip, along with steroids (to minimize reactions) during my chemo and had both zofran and compozine at home for nausea. I'd proactively take the compozine (which seemed to work better for me) for the first day or two to keep nausea at bay. Fortunately it worked, I only got sick one time (I think my second round). As time went on, I ended up knowing exactly what I needed to do to keep most symptoms under control. Until then, it's a balancing game, which you are in the middle of right now! During my "off" week, I felt pretty normal (I did a half marathon between rounds 4 and 5!)!

Seems like you're getting over the biggest hump, which is learning how to control the reactions in your body. If I may offer a bit of advice: one of the most common reactions to 5FU is mouth sores. Check with your doctor, but I started taking L-Lysine, and they completely disappeared - it was quite amazing actually. I also took powdered glutamine and B6 for neuropathy.

I'm glad you've found the "magic" cocktail and wish you smooth sailing from here on out!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:28 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Good to hear from you, Dan. May your recovery continue with great haste. So glad they seem to have found some relief from the yukkies. Blessings.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
Dan, for the hand and foot syndrome, you might want to try Udderly Smooth Udder Cream. Here is their website, and they have an oncology section as well, which might be helpful. I hope you feel better ASAP! If you have someone to help carry in groceries, etc., now is the time to lean on them.

Soft Smooth Skin- get Udderly Smooth Skin - V2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer