Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 02:30 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times

Advertisements

I made it to treatment this past week!! i met my 3x per week goal. now that the medicine is in my system more often, im getting fatigue but its preferable to the awful agoraphobia ive been dealing with. ive also been using a good liquid adult tylenol that i got off amazon. it seems to be more powerful and absorb better than tablets. i did not have to nap once this past week from chills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 07:16 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,419 times
That is awesome!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Good news!

Old 04-19-2014, 02:50 PM

unfortunately panic attacks got the best of me yesterday so i just spent the day in bed. well tomorrow is a new week...the nurses said not to sweat it, that the Paxil is unlikely to be 100 % effective for the agoraphobia every single day

the treatment has zapped my appetite. 18 mos ago i weighed 256 now im 220. im down to about only 1 or 1.5 meals per day. doesn't bother me because my energy level is still OK despite not eating. its showing in improved BP readings and my a1c remains at 6.1

i still need to have something in my stomach so i can take Paxil (to control panic attacks) Keflex (antibiotic to kill a possible infection on my leg) and Metformin (to control my sugar)

trouble is, taking all 3 on an empty stomach is likely to cause nausea

i take saltines with the Paxil and metformin but now i got keflex to take too

besides saltines is there anything else I can take to have sufficient food in my stomach? a Starbucks breakfast sandwich is a little too heavy for me in the AM. or just stick to saltines?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:19 AM

I use granola bars. I'm on several things that cause nausea. I can survive on as little as one granola bar to keep the nausea at bay. My biggest problem is dry dry mouth. bleh. Hard to swallow dry food! Just keep plugging along, you'll find coping mechanisms that work for you.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:43 PM

yes, dry mouth accompanies nausea i find. chele123 do you often get a feeling that you are going to heave up from the dry mouth? i carry a spray bottle of orazyme and use it when dry mouth persists

Old 04-20-2014, 06:30 PM

No, can't say I have. The dry mouth just makes that granola bar taste like sawdust and almost impossible to swallow! LOL

Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
When I was in treatment, I had horrible dry mouth and I'd eat my granola bars by taking a bite and then a sip of water while the bar was still in my mouth. A bit gross, but it made it palatable. I also moved to oatmeal - I'd make up a big thing of steel cut oats with cranberries and orange juice, toss in some chia seeds, and would add a little milk when I zapped it in the microwave.

Dry mouth is the worst. Have you tried Biotene? It certainly didn't solve it, but I think it kept some dental problems at bay while my mouth was dryer than the Sahara.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:49 PM

yes i like biotene spray and it can cut down on the dry mouth and nausea. i also got a more homeopathic version (Thayers). these things can be pricey but to me they're worth the expense

Old 08-30-2014, 08:38 AM

Default Im more than halfway thru treatment

Just updating everyone. 7/13 was the halfway mark and ive been doing better. by "better" I mean no more nausea and panic attacks (helped by an extra 10 mg of Paxil and by cutting way down on certain types of cheeses GI doc thinks it might be caused by a dairy allergy). and im driving to treatment again instead of cabbing it all the time

like my oncologist told me,with disarming accuracy, that i would be feeling tired all the time and probably could only work part time. both are true

another good thing is that ive been taking Hylands Flu tabs instead of taking 1000 mg of tylenol post treatment and i find it to be quite effective. this is good because ive been worried a bit about the effect of taking 2000 mg of tylenol on my liver(nurses said i can take up to 3000 mg per day)

nothing much else to report except that there is a staff nurse who is getting on my nerves. she is the nurse i see prior to seeing the oncologist. she has a domineering temperament, means well, but she has been asking me what i do in my spare time (which is going to treatment, going to work, then coming home early to either shop or nap) and has been testy in this area. she asks me what i am going to do after i leave treatment and I tell her Im going to work. she then says "no, I mean for the weekend". I have told her repeatedly that i am too tired to do any recreational activities and she simply suggests that I need a support group. As a cancer patient who is still functional I feel I am the only one who can ultimately decide if i am going to go that route. i am not depressed nor in a state of despair. i am of course dissapointed and frustrated that i cannot take a vacation due to my treatment schedule but its not going to kill me.

its like she is deliberately zeroing in in what she considers to be my "weaknesses" and is trying to "cure me". could also be because she knows I am in my early 50's, single, live alone and may be trying to impose her own agenda. I don't know but it gets on my nerves

by contrast the nurses who give me my injections are really great. their attitude is "whatever works for you, do it"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer