Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 05:19 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
Hi all - Sorry to report my father died a week ago today. That made 5 weeks from diagnosis to death with intervening complications of (a) stroke, (b) abdominal swelling (I assume ascites but never received confirmation). So his cancer was extremely aggressive since he was asymptomatic at diagnosis in late April.

The good part is that he didn't go through any prolonged phase of losing his independence (he was very firm about being the "boss" so to speak, even when I saw him about 3 weeks ago, in a good, good way!).

Now here's where it gets sad ... he had asked for me to come, and I was arriving two days before he died, and then I had a retinal detachment so had emergency eye surgery. Difficult to understand why that happened when it did.

so sorry for your loss
I know you must be grateful he had no long term suffering.
As for your emergency---I wouldn't worry or stress over why--things happen as they are supposed to. I have no doubt your dad felt your love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 05:24 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
so sorry for your loss
I know you must be grateful he had no long term suffering.
As for your emergency---I wouldn't worry or stress over why--things happen as they are supposed to. I have no doubt your dad felt your love.
Thank you!

Old 06-06-2014, 05:55 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Hi all - Sorry to report my father died a week ago today.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:36 PM

484 posts, read 760,949 times
I am very sorry to read this blossom

Old 06-06-2014, 07:38 PM

720 posts, read 705,265 times
M.D. Anderson in Houston, Tx. They are the best.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Sorry for the general nature and the lack of information on my part. I'm new to this type of thing.

My father is 72- years-old. It appears as though he has pancreatic cancer. The cat scan shows a large mass on his pancreas and liver lesions. He has back pain, high white cell count and other general symptoms associated with it. I don't know too much more than that. This all occurred last night.

We are about to try to get him transferred to MD Anderson in Houston ASAP.

He is currently working and has short term disability.

I'm trying to get any initial guidance both on the medical side and also on the financial side to help protect my mother who is 68, not working and in generally good health.

I have asked his employer to send me the FMLA forms for me to fill out. I have only told them he is in the hospital sick and they are running tests. He has short term disability that goes for 6 months at full pay. There is long term available to him, but from what I've been told, he'll need to go to Social Security once the short term runs out.

I've been told that I should start getting the Social Security paperwork and Medicare paperwork going now and I can specify the date for them to start. I plan to call Social Security and Medicare shortly to get better explanations and such.

Medically, I know next to nothing. I have found pancan.org, but haven't had much time to read there yet, but I will soon.

Any advice medically and in terms of dealing with the financial/medicare/social security/disability would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be doing a lot of running around over the next couple of days. I'll be checking back here ofter to read posts, but probably not responding too much since it's such a pain to do from my phone.

Thank you very much for any help.
Have you tried the Cancer Treatment Centers of America? They have locations in Tulsa, OK, Philadelphia, Chicago, Atlanta, and in Phoenix. From reviews that I have seen, they are very compassionate, caring and they have been able to help even stage 4 cancer patients beat their cancer (of course, those where individual cases, but overall, their success rate seems to be above ANY cancer institute in this country).
If I would have had the time, I would have had my father go the nearest location (in Tulsa).

Old 06-08-2014, 12:12 AM

770 posts, read 1,797,294 times
To the OP,

My best advice to you is to ACT QUICK. Look into American Cancer Treatment Centers of America. They will have the best info. into beating ANY particular cancer and if you go to them for care, they will help you develop a plan to beat the cancer.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:59 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Hi all - Sorry to report my father died a week ago today. That made 5 weeks from diagnosis to death with intervening complications of (a) stroke, (b) abdominal swelling (I assume ascites but never received confirmation). So his cancer was extremely aggressive since he was asymptomatic at diagnosis in late April.

The good part is that he didn't go through any prolonged phase of losing his independence (he was very firm about being the "boss" so to speak, even when I saw him about 3 weeks ago, in a good, good way!).

Now here's where it gets sad ... he had asked for me to come, and I was arriving two days before he died, and then I had a retinal detachment so had emergency eye surgery. Difficult to understand why that happened when it did.
So sorry to hear about this, but it sounds like his suffering was short-term.

Sometimes I think life can just be very random, and we have to deal with things that come up.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:01 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
To the OP,

My best advice to you is to ACT QUICK. Look into American Cancer Treatment Centers of America. They will have the best info. into beating ANY particular cancer and if you go to them for care, they will help you develop a plan to beat the cancer.
I looked into the Tulsa center for my father, and they are expensive! He's receiving treatment through the VA, which is costing him next to nothing. They seem to be doing a good job for him, but ACTCs are in it to make money. I'm sure they're top notch in their treatment, but you better have good insurance and a fair amount of money.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Thank you!
There is a reason for everything. We do not always know the reason but there is one. I am sorry you father had to leave you, but I know you are thankful he didn't go through months and months of treatments and pain, just to have the end the same. We just lost a good friend at church with a similar story. No, it wasn't pancreatic, but it was a very short time from diagnosis til she died. Our prayers go out to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer