Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 02:28 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times

Advertisements

No matter what or how you live your life... no one is exempt from the possibility of developing cancer.

Maybe the OP is more fearful of this reality but needs to belittle the co-worker to make himself feel batter.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:53 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,079,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
And, I have no doubt that anecdotes are not statistical evidence.
I was a happy go lucky guy and got colon cancer. So, my anecdote counters yours.
How about citing some scientific evidence?

I believe what I believe about the evolution of my cancer, and I never said that this is the evolutionary path for all individuals who get diagnosed with all types of cancers. I responded to the topic of this thread sighting how I was a very healthy individual prior to my cancer diagnosis, and my cancer diagnosis followed some very stressful life events. Unlike colon cancer, the type of cancer that I had is estrogen driven. Due to a poor diet, lack of sleep, and extreme stress all these issues impacted my female hormonal balance which caused my menstrual cycle to stop. My hormonal imbalance increased my production of estrogen with little to no production of opposing progesterone which is needed to cause a menstrual period which is the riding of the endometrial lining when conception does not take place during the cycle. When an endometrium is continually stimulated with estrogen, estrogen produces rapid cell growth, and these rapidly growing cells can begin to look and act less and less like normal cells and reach a certain stage when they are termed cancerous. In my case my cells evolved into what is called adenocarcinoma. Other women at risk for this type of cancer are diabetics and women who are obese as both these risk factors impact hormone production.

If you would like scientific info regarding endometrial cancer MD Anderson and Dana Farber are very good sources to obtain this info.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:46 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
In one week I will mark my 12th anniversary as an endometrial cancer survivor Prior to my diagnosis I enjoyed great health, ate a pretty healthy diet, and was athletic my entire life. A little over a year before my diagnosis I had a major traumatic life event which was the sudden death of my 49 year old husband. At that time my life turned upside down emotionally and physically. I ate poorly and infrequently, I slept poorly and infrequently, and I grieved so bad I actually felt physical pain from it. During this difficult I also had to work in a stressful job (nursing) to support myself. I have no doubt that all of the above created the vulnerability that led to my cancer diagnosis. And I also have no doubt that had I not been in good emotional and physical health prior to my cancer diagnosis I may not be here today contributing to this thread.

I believe this as well. I also believe that Type A personalities are more prone to developing cancers.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
He said:

I heard a coworker say this and more than likely it was directed towards me. He's a fat slob, that smokes.

I thought it was very stupid. Everyone in my department knows I am a health oriented person in terms of eating. Out of 12 of us, I am the only one that eats healthy.

"You can be healthy all of your life and develop cancer......" Essentially he was justifying why he doesn't take care of himself

As if cancer is the only health issue a person can incur for unhealthy eating habits.
Your co-worker is correct - you can be healthy all your life and develop cancer. That's a fact.

It's not an excuse to be a fat slob and develop Type II diabetes; COPD, etc.

I hate this tendency to blame people for their cancer. WELL, if he/she had just _________________
(insert reason here) eaten healthier, exercised more, not exercised too much, and so on and so forth; reasons we develop for why we won't die and they will.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:14 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I have no doubt that anecdotes are not statistical evidence. I was a happy go lucky guy and got colon cancer. So, my anecdote counters yours. How about citing some scientific evidence?
I'd have to agree. There is no scientific evidence that stress causes human cells to mutate.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:42 PM

645 posts, read 749,893 times
I think its somewhat true.....I also have tried to stay fit and healthy all my life but I don't think that will guarantee me to be disease free in the future. I have seen very healthy people get terminal illnesses and have seen people that eat crap every day and never exercise live very long lives...I think a lot of it has to do with your family genes...

Old 12-31-2015, 03:55 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,269,198 times
We all like to think we have more control than we do.

Genetics is minimized in our "self help culture." Your coworker is correct.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:39 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
He said:

I heard a coworker say this and more than likely it was directed towards me. He's a fat slob, that smokes.

I thought it was very stupid. Everyone in my department knows I am a health oriented person in terms of eating. Out of 12 of us, I am the only one that eats healthy.

"You can be healthy all of your life and develop cancer......" Essentially he was justifying why he doesn't take care of himself

As if cancer is the only health issue a person can incur for unhealthy eating habits.
Your coworker was right, and so are you, but I'd sooner take my chances being you, than him.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:28 AM

350 posts, read 415,661 times
I also think that the environment is a component in cancer. If people had access (ready) to information regarding cancer clusters they might demand more information about what is causing the cancer cluster and demand that the problem be mitigated.

Too often the problem is placed on the individual and what he/she did or didn't do that caused the cancer. What about elements in a toxic environment that caused the cancer in a susceptible individual?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:56 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
He said:

He was right.. and you are right thinking he is just using that as an excuse to dig at you and for his lifestyle..
regardless. why do you care.. move on.. don't worry so much about what other people and think.. worrying stress are NOT healthy..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer