Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:50 PM

26,606 posts, read 26,512,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
She never had cancer or any other issues one would think she'd have as a result of her tobacco abuse.
There are always those anecdotal cases.

Why Some Smokers Get Lung Cancer--And Others Are Spared: Nicotine addiction gene may also increase susceptibility to lung cancer
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...kers-get-lung/

How some smokers stay healthy: genetic factors revealed: https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ctors-revealed

Scientists discover why some smokers never develop lung disease: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a6670246.html

Old 02-18-2017, 06:53 PM

36,972 posts, read 40,961,186 times
Quote:
I had a patient when I was med student who was an interesting example of this theory..

She was 94, was a chronic chain smoker...anywhere from 1-2 packs/day of cigarettes, since age 16. She came into the hospital b/c she had the flu. This woman had seen a doctor for years, regularly, and at the most was once put on cholesterol medication. She smoked and smoked and was counseled extensively, according to what she told me, to stop smoking. But she never did...

She left the hospital days later in nearly great condition...or as great as one can be at age 94.

She never had cancer or any other issues one would think she'd have as a result of her tobacco abuse.

Just some food for thought..
More food for thought:

Silver Century Foundation :: Features

NECS found that centenarians generally share the following characteristics:

• Almost all are healthy enough to live independently at least until age 90.

• Few are obese.

• Most have never smoked or smoked very little.

• None drink heavily, if at all.

• They are physically active.

• Almost all have many close relationships.

• Many are religious.

• Most (95 percent) make it into their 90s with their mental abilities intact.

• About one-third are free from dementia at 100 or older.

My MIL recently had her 94th birthday.

She lived independently until two years ago, likes a glass or two of wine, was physically active until the last few years, has always maintained a healthy weight, had a cluster of friends whom she has mostly outlived, and has only developed some short term memory problems in the last two or three years. I do not remember the exact number, but her HDL was very high on no medication. She has no chronic health problems. She has never smoked during the 45 years I have known her, though I do not know about before that. I fully expect her to get to 100, and would not be surprised if she eventually became the oldest living human! I hope my kids have inherited her good genetics.

Blue Zones are interesting, too.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Can't rep you again yet, susyq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Me, either!
Thank you both!

Old 02-18-2017, 07:05 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,007,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
We are often told about how X or A causes cancer, and yet we don't even know what even causes cancer to happen in the first place. Whenever someone blames something for cancer they use flawed arguments like "person X use to do A and thus A is to blame!" that aren't even hard science. The fact of the matter is nobody has ever been able to actually PROVE that individual items or behaviors cause cancer. There are smokers who smoke 12 packs a day who don't have cancer and then there are others who live super healthy lives and the die at 50 from some kind of cancer anyway. Couple this with the fact that members from the same dynasties tend to die from cancer and that the risk of cancer goes up as you age, and I fail to see how cancer isn't just genetic/luck.

Here is my view on what causes cancer: I think it's just a byproduct of aging. Normally your body reproduces it's lost cells but as times goes by this becomes harder for your body to do and this increases the odds of accidents happening. And one of those accidents happen to be cancer. Depending on genetics, this will happen sooner for some but later (or not even at all) for others before they die. The lucky live to old age and die before cancer can develop, and the unlucky have crap genetics and develop cancer while they are younger.

And that's it. I don't think lifestyle has ANYTHING to do with cancer at all. That isn't to say that people with bad lifestyle can't harm their health in other ways, but I don't think a bad lifestyle causes cancer. It's all just genetics. You either get it or you don't.
I tend to agree except I think if you have an active cancer, certain lifestyles (smoking, for example) will exacerbate it.

We all have cancers in our body. It's when they come to life, rear their ugly heads, and spread themselves around that we have a problem.

As far as the CDC, I wouldn't believe a word they say. In fact, if they say it I believe the opposite.

Cancer is a huge moneymaker and it's out of control!

Old 02-18-2017, 07:09 PM

7,274 posts, read 5,244,946 times
Cancer is simply both. It can be genetics or lifestyle.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I tend to agree except I think if you have an active cancer, certain lifestyles (smoking, for example) will exacerbate it.

We all have cancers in our body. It's when they come to life, rear their ugly heads, and spread themselves around that we have a problem.

As far as the CDC, I wouldn't believe a word they say. In fact, if they say it I believe the opposite.

Cancer is a huge moneymaker and it's out of control!
If you have a cancer the natural history will vary with the type. Many prostate cancers, for example, grow very slowly and never spread. Very aggressive cancers can kill quickly.

We all have potentially malignant cells but we do not all have cancers. Most abnormal cells are policed up and never become cancers.

Choosing not to "believe a word" the CDC says is pretty short sighted.

Treating cancer is indeed expensive. So is treating coronary heart disease. Do you think doctors and hospitals should not be paid for what they do?

Old 02-18-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Cancer is simply both. It can be genetics or lifestyle.
Lifestyle related cancers are still genetic. They happen because something messes with cellular DNA.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:59 PM

30,864 posts, read 36,783,047 times
Quote:
I had a patient when I was med student who was an interesting example of this theory..

She was 94, was a chronic chain smoker...anywhere from 1-2 packs/day of cigarettes, since age 16. When I saw her, she was still actively smoking, but had dwindled her consumption down to 1/2 pack/day. She came into the hospital b/c she had the flu. This woman had seen a doctor for years, regularly, and at the most was once put on cholesterol medication. She smoked and smoked and was counseled extensively, according to what she told me, to stop smoking. But she never did...

She left the hospital days later in nearly great condition...or as great as one can be at age 94.

Just some food for thought..
My thought on this "food" is...so what? People win the lottery, too, but nobody recommends playing the lottery as a reasonable way of planning for retirement. This woman won the genetic lottery. The vast majority of us don't.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:02 PM

30,864 posts, read 36,783,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
More food for thought:

Silver Century Foundation :: Features

NECS found that centenarians generally share the following characteristics:

• Almost all are healthy enough to live independently at least until age 90.

• Few are obese.

• Most have never smoked or smoked very little.

• None drink heavily, if at all.

• They are physically active.

• Almost all have many close relationships.

• Many are religious.

• Most (95 percent) make it into their 90s with their mental abilities intact.

• About one-third are free from dementia at 100 or older.

My MIL recently had her 94th birthday.

She lived independently until two years ago, likes a glass or two of wine, was physically active until the last few years, has always maintained a healthy weight, had a cluster of friends whom she has mostly outlived, and has only developed some short term memory problems in the last two or three years. I do not remember the exact number, but her HDL was very high on no medication. She has no chronic health problems. She has never smoked during the 45 years I have known her, though I do not know about before that. I fully expect her to get to 100, and would not be surprised if she eventually became the oldest living human! I hope my kids have inherited her good genetics.

Blue Zones are interesting, too.
Actually, I hope your kids inherit her good lifestyle habits, because, despite protests to the contrary, lifestyle habits are more important than genetics.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:00 AM

652 posts, read 869,805 times
A fair point by the OP about cancer being genetic. Just stay away from pathogens, nuclear sites and dangerous cancer causing chemicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer