Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 10:59 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Negative emotions, stress, depression. It could be one of the many factors.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3037818/

That article regards the impact of stress on metastatic cancer. ie, the primary cancer already exists. It says nothing about stress causing cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 11:01 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Citation?

Its the pulled out of the arse citation.
Negative humors, bad air etc etc have been theories since the beginning of illness.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:19 AM

419 posts, read 387,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I absolutely believe that cancer becomes active in people who "contain" negative emotion (either suppress it without processing it, or just wallow in it).

Cancer cells are present in everyone and the environment is polluted - yet everyone does not get cancer (even though there is more prevalence now than ever in history - so much for the millions/billions poured into "finding a cure" - totally a crock of B.S.).

Negative emotion is far more toxic than anything else - each cell is bathed in it.
So, following your logic, since you are wallowing in negative emotion just by talking about negative emotions of others, that is enough to cause cancer. Hmmmmm ...

Old 08-09-2017, 02:56 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
I remember all too well the little lectures I got from people when they heard about my cancer diagnosis. Those little reminders to "stay positive". Of course some had the best intentions trying to "help" me cope, but some obviously believed that if I gave in to even one negative emotional spell it would make the difference between surviving or dying from the disease. I remember biting my tongue trying not to respond with a less than tactful comment. WTF? Do you really expect someone who just got this frightening news to NEVER give in to a bad thought? What planet are you from? Then I would calm down and realize none of these people had been there and were probably regurgitating what they had read or heard about positive thinking. Once you get hold of yourself, do your grieving, understand all the fear, focus on your treatment and do what you can to heal yourself, the negative frightened inner child goes back in the closet. I know some patients never do get past this. That's wallowing in self-pity and big time negativity and I can appreciate how it colors the rest of their lives. For them I can only empathize.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:14 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
The whole idea that there is correlation is utterly ridiculous, stupid, and the least bit useful.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:44 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
The whole idea that there is correlation is utterly ridiculous, stupid, and the least bit useful.

Agreed. And gives some the ridiculous idea that the patient is to blame for their own cancer. It's even worse when they then act on that idea and the patient has to put up with listening to their nonsense.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:17 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Do you think any kind of negative emotions cause any physical ailments or illnesses? genuinely curious not trying to argue one way or the other. i find the topic interesting.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:51 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
My opinion....Not CAUSE. Contribute to or exacerbate? Possibly.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:00 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Do you think any kind of negative emotions cause any physical ailments or illnesses? genuinely curious not trying to argue one way or the other. i find the topic interesting.
In the broad view of things, yes, negativity is adverse to health. However, the correlation between negative emotions and cancer is ridiculous. To think it is cancer specific with no evidence is not how it works.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Someone once told me that there is a theory that cancer could be caused by negative emotions, or even repressed emotions. I obviously thought that that was crazy.

But I started thinking about it recently. There are a lot of physical ailments that have their roots in emotions - perfect example would be developing a stomach ulcer from high stress. Or what about depression causing tiredness and fatigue? Stress causing acne? Anxiety/panic attack causing sweating and shaking? Fight or flight causing a bowel movement?

There are a lot of emotional/mental things that result in a physical ailment, so would it be so far fetched to say that cancer could be caused by some kind of traumatic emotional "rollcoaster" or something?

Perhaps it just has an effect rather than being the absolute cause?
you can talk yourself into almost anything, but no, cancer isn't caused by emotions. Apparently we all have cancer cells in our bodies, whether they become active is another thing. If you have no genetic cancer in your family, take care of yourself and eat healthy as well as not smoking the chances are slim you will end up developing cancer, but many do everything right they think and still end up with it. There is only such you can do and worrying isn't one of those things.
btw; ulcers are not, normally caused by stress. That is an old theory. I have been told this by more than one doctor. I think you are reading too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer