Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 11:02 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Let me put this another way: The fact that the body can survive just fine with relatively little glucose in the bloodstream at all indicates not that it's "preferred," but rather, that it's optional and unessential.
No it indicates that evolutionarily its the body's preferred mechanism. The body has multiple mechanism to try to maintain a stable level of glucose. And "relatively little" compared to what? Its relatively a lot compared to water or saline. Ketosis is basically occurring in body emergency situations where glucose cannot be maintained - fasting/starvation. Its a robust evolutionary back-up plan for when things are less than ideal, dietary-wise.

You can hop around on just one leg if the other is damaged - but the body evolved to work with two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 11:08 AM

Interestingly, pilgrims were known in Chaucer's time to have a peculiar "sweet" smell. As they trekked across the country to visit a shrine, like Thomas a Becket's, they walked for months and barely ate. By the time they got to Canterbury their bodies were effectively eating themselves, and the associated odor particularly noticeable. Some medical historians have speculated this was due to the fact that ketosis was well underway and had been for some time.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:02 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Interestingly, pilgrims were known in Chaucer's time to have a peculiar "sweet" smell. As they trekked across the country to visit a shrine, like Thomas a Becket's, they walked for months and barely ate. By the time they got to Canterbury their bodies were effectively eating themselves, and the associated odor particularly noticeable. Some medical historians have speculated this was due to the fact that ketosis was well underway and had been for some time.
Now THIS is a fascinating tidbit! A friend of mine is a livestock vet. She has commented on the sweet keytone smell coming from a herd that has one seriously sick emaciated cow.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Now THIS is a fascinating tidbit! A friend of mine is a livestock vet. She has commented on the sweet keytone smell coming from a herd that has one seriously sick emaciated cow.

Whoa! That is interesting - I've never smelled the odor in real life.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:03 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Been reading a lot about this since I started a low-carb diet a few years ago.

It's too bad, however, some seem to think this is a "new" link. Warburg first hypothesized the cancer-sugar link in 1924.

Scientists have discovered a new link between sugar and tumor growth
I'm reading "Tripping Over The Truth: How the Metabolic Theory of Cancer Is Overturning One of Medicine's Most Entrenched Paradigms" by Travis Christofferson

check out the reviews on Amazon - (of 392) 87% 5-star - very interesting (cancer cells feed on sugar / glucose / fermentation) - yes, it includes a lot about Otto Warburg

https://www.amazon.com/Tripping-over...40_&dpSrc=srch

Old 06-24-2018, 02:52 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I'm reading "Tripping Over The Truth: How the Metabolic Theory of Cancer Is Overturning One of Medicine's Most Entrenched Paradigms" by Travis Christofferson

check out the reviews on Amazon - (of 392) 87% 5-star - very interesting (cancer cells feed on sugar / glucose / fermentation) - yes, it includes a lot about Otto Warburg

https://www.amazon.com/Tripping-over...40_&dpSrc=srch
Amazon reviews are hardly the gold standard for the quality of a book. How many of those reviews were provided by friends of the author, who self published the book? We will never know.

The Ketogenic Diet in Cancer Control - The ASCO Post

"Given the absence of solid data on the merits and potential negative consequences, patients should pursue this [ketogenic] diet only via participation in a clinical trial."

Old 06-24-2018, 02:56 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Whoa! That is interesting - I've never smelled the odor in real life.
When my younger son was small he was sick for a few days, stopped eating and drinking, and became ketotic, with the typical odor on his breath. When he was threatened with a trip to the ER for an IV he decided maybe he could handle some Coca-Cola after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer