Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 06:30 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What's the point of having GYN Onc in a multispecialty clinic if they only accept patients from outside the clinic? That's weird.

Make sure Stanford is in network with your HMO, including doctors, hospital, anesthesia, and pathology.
I shouldn't use the word HMO because it isn't one -- it's what you said, a multispecialty clinic. Actually, one of the first in the nation. Our insurance is an in-network plan.

My spine decompression surgery done at Stanford, under this same insurance plan. It was all covered except for a $400 deductible.

But you're right, I should double-check that with this procedure.

Quote:
When you have the first visit just explain that since the possibility of cancer has been raised, that you want a cancer surgeon to be the one to treat you.
Perfect.

Quote:
Take the scans with you - the pictures, not just the reports. They can probably be transferred to a disc for you. Do not be surprised if the new doctor wants to repeat the scan to see f anything has changed. That would be standard practice.
Good. I'm fine with redoing everything, even the hated transvaginal ultrasound. I want to know if anything has changed in the last couple of weeks, too. Maybe the change will be for the better.

I really appreciate the time and care with which you read my ramblings and give actionable advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
That sounds drastic taking out both ovaries, when there is nothing seemingly wrong with the right one.

I had my left ovary taken out when I was 29. The cyst was about the size of a fist and non-malignant. Years later, I had a laparoscopy done by another GYN and he said the first GYN should have cut out the cyst and left the ovary intact. From the scarred tissues left inside, he could tell it was a bad job done by the 1st GYN.
I'm 64, so there's no potential childbearing issue.

"...about the size of a fist..." Wow!

Old 03-23-2018, 06:37 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,752 times
Remember to breathe. The unknown is the worst part. Once you figure out what is going on, you can then get a plan of action.

Whatever happens, you have a support system here.

Try not to stress (I know, easier said than done) you will get through this.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Remember to breathe. The unknown is the worst part. Once you figure out what is going on, you can then get a plan of action.

Whatever happens, you have a support system here.

Try not to stress (I know, easier said than done) you will get through this.
So will you, Robino {{hugs}}

Old 03-23-2018, 07:28 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
You do not have to disclose that you were turned down by anyone for any reason. It is VERY strange that they would do that while you are looking for a second opinion. In the cancer medical world, a second or even third is greatly encouraged.
Exactly. Sounds as if you'd be in good hands at Stanford. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2018, 02:55 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It's not Mohs but the way the tissue is processed is the same. It's a quick way of looking at any tissue sample. It gives a preliminary diagnosis that can help the surgeon know how extensive the surgery needs to be.
Oh, I’m familiar with the procedure. I worked in a Pathology lab, did a lot of histology work, also sold the equipment later (cryostats, tissue processors, etc.). The typical surgical procedures usually involved the same old formalin fixed, paraffin embedded processes that have been around for decades. I’ve been away from it for a while so it would be nice, and would make sense, that things have changed. It costs more though because you need a cryostat near the operating room and usually a skilled technician available to use it during the actual procedure.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:05 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Oh, I’m familiar with the procedure. I worked in a Pathology lab, did a lot of histology work, also sold the equipment later (cryostats, tissue processors, etc.). The typical surgical procedures usually involved the same old formalin fixed, paraffin embedded processes that have been around for decades. I’ve been away from it for a while so it would be nice, and would make sense, that things have changed. It costs more though because you need a cryostat near the operating room and usually a skilled technician available to use it during the actual procedure.
Frozen section isn't used on every surgical pathology case, mainly those where knowing whether a tumor is malignant or not changes the extent of the surgery. Final pathology is still done the "old fashioned" way.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:11 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
The Pap test has already reduced the incidence of cervical cancer by more than 60%. Now it may become a key step in the early detection of two other gynecological malignancies — ovarian and endometrial cancers — that have been notorious killers because they're typically caught so late.

Modified Pap tests can show early warning signs of other gynecological cancers

Old 03-27-2018, 01:50 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It is strange. This whole experience has been very strange.

My PCP, when I told him I wanted a second opinion, said No problem but he also made it clear he thought I was getting worked up over nothing. And he'd read the radiologist's notes. He favored the "Wait and see" approach. I've been going to him a long time, nearly a decade. I've trusted his judgment on countless occasions. Now this.

In 2002 at the age of 45 I started to generally not feel well and shortly thereafter my period stopped and I figured I was likely starting early menopause. When I developed an odd faint discharge which gave me concern that led me to see by Gyn doctor. My pelvic exam revealed nothing, and my doctor was ready to discharge me home with a diagnosis of early menopause. I would not accept that diagnosis and told my doctor so, and his response was "to put your mind at ease I will do an endometrial biopsy today". A week after having the biopsy I received a call from my Gyn doctor informing me that the biopsy results showed endometrial cancer. This all happened a week before Christmas that year and on January 2nd I was in the OR having a total abdominal hysterectomy which in additional to removal of my uterus, my cervix, ovaries and fallopian tubes were removed to reduce the incidence of metastasis to these organs.

I am very fortunate that my cancer was caught early and did not need treatment beyond surgery, but had I not advocated for myself and pushed for additional testing right away my outcome may not have been so positive. My surgery was done by my Gyn along with my Gyn Oncologist who I alternated exams with for the next 5 years. Now 16 years later I still see my Gyn doctor once a year which I will see him or another Gyn doctor annually for the rest of my life which is the follow up protocol for long term endometrial cancer survivors.

Although I had a confirmed cancer diagnosis, I can tell you I did not rest until my disease uterus was out of my body and obviously having it taken out was the right decision for me because I have 16 years of survivorship behind me. That being said minimally you need a confirmed diagnoses and have done whatever procedure needs to be done to make that happen because most all Gyn cancers can be fairly successfully treated when diagnosed early, they are exceptionally difficult to treat when diagnosed at later stages.

Although I can't post a link to another forum here, there is one that sounds like the surgery I had followed by the work sister and the women on that forum are wonderful resources for all female health issues including ovarian and other females cancers and I suggest you hop over there and post the same inquiry you posted here. You will get quick responses from women who have dealt with similar issues, and this forum was so helpful for me when I was dealing with my own female health issue.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:52 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,752 times
It truly does help to find a forum for your particular cancer. I found a great one for my colon cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer