Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 08:25 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times

Advertisements

As one dealing with metastatic colon cancer, I wouldn't say that skin cancer is the worst cancer.

They all freaking suck! Any of these cancers kill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 09:37 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Why Delaware? (serious question).
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Beach communities?
Then why isn't New Jersey there? We have a lot more beach than Delaware.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
All of these states have snow. I imagine the reflection on snow is huge. Another is elevation. ?? At least that's my thought. These are also places where people do a lot of outdoor sports like hiking, mountain climbing, farming, horse back riding, and nature stuff. Again, overcast skies are worse on the skin because of the UV rays coming through.

Texas should be on that list but I think people are always were the A/C is... .So it's quick trips outside and back inside. Most know to cover up to do yardwork.
Delaware has one of the lowest elevations of any state.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Bob Marley had Acral Melanoma which isn't strongly linked with UV exposure.

Bob Marley, genomics, and a rare form of melanoma - Cancer Research UK - Science blog
Thanks for that additional info.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
As one dealing with metastatic colon cancer, I wouldn't say that skin cancer is the worst cancer.

They all freaking suck! Any of these cancers kill.
Of course you are right. As for any type of skin cancer, I am sure hubby had melanoma for some time before it was caught and after, all these years he is fine. All cancers when they have spread suck. Good luck to you.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:28 PM

140 posts, read 142,462 times
Saw the derm on 6/11, four biopsies taken, one came back Melanoma In-situ (Stage 0), one actinic keratosis. Wide Local Excision (WLE) left upper arm on 6/25. Lab report back from sample....no melanocytic cells, clear margins, no further treatment required. Sutures out 7/13, saw another suspicious area on right upper arm. Biopsy taken, awaiting results. Not fun. Ordered UV 50+ sun-protective clothing, sunblock with zinc oxide. Checkups every 3 months for 2 years pending results of current biopsy. Was considering retiring to FL, but not sure now.

Warm regards,

Reddog53
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Today I was called by my Dermatologist, that two of my biopsies came back positive. Melanoma on upper right arm. I'm told its very serious, and time can't be wasted. I have been given an appt to see a surgeon in 6 days to consult for surgery.

Has anyone received such a diagnosis? If so how was it handled, and were the results successful? Last year I had surgery for skin cancer on my ear. Today's Melanoma diagnosis seems much more serious by the urgency of surgery.

Thanks

Last edited by Reddog53; 07-16-2018 at 05:16 PM..

Old 07-16-2018, 05:36 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My feeling is that while the lesser forms of skin cancer (squamous and basal cell) are likely linked with UV exposure, I don't believe melanoma is.
There are many different risk factors for Melanoma, sun exposure being only one.

American Cancer Society/Risk Factors for Melanoma Skin Cancer: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/melano...k-factors.html

Old 07-17-2018, 05:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog53 View Post
Saw the derm on 6/11, four biopsies taken, one came back Melanoma In-situ (Stage 0), one actinic keratosis. Wide Local Excision (WLE) left upper arm on 6/25. Lab report back from sample....no melanocytic cells, clear margins, no further treatment required. Sutures out 7/13, saw another suspicious area on right upper arm. Biopsy taken, awaiting results. Not fun. Ordered UV 50+ sun-protective clothing, sunblock with zinc oxide. Checkups every 3 months for 2 years pending results of current biopsy. Was considering retiring to FL, but not sure now.

Warm regards,

Reddog53
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hope all turns out well for you. The damage that has been done due to sun exposure has already been done. I don't think I would ever base my home place on something like the sun, but we all have to make our own decisions.

Keep us posted on the lab results. It appears you are doing all you can to protect your skin against any further damage.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:15 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Thanks for all the comments and well wishes.

Surgery was done yesterday, here in Lakeland. There was a short delay, due to pictures and films of my melanoma not being sent. The surgeon was livid, and was able to get them somehow. This all made me nervous, as the team wasn't quite sure of the melanoma location. When the pictures suddenly showed up, I had the surgery

So far things seem ok. The area of surgery is an eye opener. I had no idea that much of my upper arm would be cut. When I changed the bandage today, I wasn't prepared for the size of this incision. It had to be done though. The surgery was called Excision of malignant melanoma of upper right arm. The stitches come out Aug 15th. All in all things seem good, hopefully pathology will report tissue is cancer free.

My arm doesn't hurt very much. I haven't taken pain pills, or Tylenol yet. I'm not a big pill person. It seems to hurt more when I lay down
If anything hurt it was my throat. I developed a terrible sore throat from anesthesia, or something for breathing during surgery. Thankfully that condition seems to be improving.
I have to say the surgery center does a great job, considering, how busy they are here in Fla.

My neighbors have been wonderful, and drove me to and from the Hospital.

So thanks again for all the comments, info and kind words.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:02 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Glad to hear that the surgery went well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer