Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:48 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
My doctors don't know why I am getting them.

But now I need to decide between the core needly biopsy and surgical biopsy (removing the whole thing).

Both options terrify me. I am not sure which to choose. My surgeon says it's up to me.
Go over to the Susan G Komen site. You'll get answers there as it is specific to breast cancer.

I feel for you. I hate going for mammos; I'd rather have a needle then to have to get my breast smooshed. I've had tons of needles for my back.

When the do the needle biopsy, will they give you something to knock you out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 05:37 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
Quote:
My doctors don't know why I am getting them.

But now I need to decide between the core needly biopsy and surgical biopsy (removing the whole thing).

Both options terrify me. I am not sure which to choose. My surgeon says it's up to me.
I would choose a core biopsy over a surgical biopsy. You'll heal faster and it's less invasive (actually both are probably outpatient). Having had a lumpectomy, a core bx and multiple cysts that had to be aspirated, I am not a fan of needles in my breasts at all.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:51 PM

37 posts, read 283,706 times
Quote:
I found a new breast lump last night. I'm a 30 year old woman who already has two breast lumps, which are called fibroadenomas. I got in to see my gyn today, and he said he thinks it's another fibroadenoma. I have to get an ultrasound and then a biopsy of this new one. I'm scared. I have to decide between the core needle or the surgical biopsy.

I am wondering how many more fibroadenomas I'm going to have? Anyone else have multiple breast lumps--cysts or fibroadenomas
I have this and so did my sister. She ended up getting breast cancer, so you don't want to take any chances. She's okay. They caught it in time.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:25 AM

350 posts, read 4,157,958 times
So I had my ultrasound done and it showed the new lump I just found is another fibroadenoma (I already have two). But my surgeon wants to take it out, as it is much larger than the other two and seems to be growing quickly--i.e. it came out of nowhere since I just recently had my last comprehensive exam by the surgeon. I just found it this past weekend myself.

The other two lumps have a long record of not changing at all in size or appearance, so nothing needs to be done with them at this time.

I'm really scared. The surgery is already scheduled. I've never had any kind of surgery before. I'm 30. I can't eat, can't sleep, can't think about anything else besides this. I haven't been able to eat much since I found the lump and I've already been losing weight. I don't drink, and haven't had a drink in 7 years, but I plan to start now, because I can't get through the next few weeks until the surgery if I don't have something to take the edge off. What terrifies me is not the cutting and removal of it--it's the whole surgical experience--i.e. the anesthesia, being in the OR, the whole hospital atmosphere, etc.

I just feel completely alone. My husband is very helpful, but we have no friends or family here.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:07 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,161,463 times
While surgery is never to be taken lightly; let me just say if it needs to be done then relax as much as you can. I've had several surgical procedures and never really worried all that much beforehand. One reason is I knew it was a needed operation, secondly I had to trust the people in charge of it all. Next, I have Faith and know that when it's my time to go I will pass on so I spend little to no time fretting over it.
As for the surgery(and I've had 4 of em), and not to glorify such, but each time it was fine. You get some kick a** drugs to help you relax and once you're put under the anethesia it's like the best sleep ever. I swear! And once you come around,if you're in pain you will get more kick a** drugs.
So do yourself a favor and chill. Don't start drinking to chill either unless you're talking about drinkng juice Just carry on with your day to day life. Let the doctor do the worrying for you. As for the hospital atmosphere--I quite enjoy being in a very clean,sterile environment,having people look out for me, my husband always babies me, people are just nicer during such times....ya know?
P.S. Is he removing the other 2? I would insist that he do that.

Quote:
So I had my ultrasound done and it showed the new lump I just found is another fibroadenoma (I already have two). But my surgeon wants to take it out, as it is much larger than the other two and seems to be growing quickly--i.e. it came out of nowhere since I just recently had my last comprehensive exam by the surgeon. I just found it this past weekend myself.

The other two lumps have a long record of not changing at all in size or appearance, so nothing needs to be done with them at this time.

I'm really scared. The surgery is already scheduled. I've never had any kind of surgery before. I'm 30. I can't eat, can't sleep, can't think about anything else besides this. I haven't been able to eat much since I found the lump and I've already been losing weight. I don't drink, and haven't had a drink in 7 years, but I plan to start now, because I can't get through the next few weeks until the surgery if I don't have something to take the edge off. What terrifies me is not the cutting and removal of it--it's the whole surgical experience--i.e. the anesthesia, being in the OR, the whole hospital atmosphere, etc.

I just feel completely alone. My husband is very helpful, but we have no friends or family here.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:10 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,814 times
Default Found New Breast Lump

I know you are scared, but know this...lumpy, bumpy boobs are pretty common. I have 4 sisters and we all have lumpy boobs. As you get older these firboid lumps are pretty common especially tough to see due to the breast tissue getting denser. You are doing the absolute right thing going to get things checked out. Early detection is essential in treating any kind of lump you find. I had the same sort of scare in my 30's. It was my first "lump find" and it does throw you for a loop.

In the meantime, breathe easy.....walk into your exam knowing that you are taking care of business and you are a stong woman for doing so.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:02 AM

I'm just wondering if a biopsy is too drastic at this point.

On exam before u/s, the surgeon said it felt like fibroadenoma.

On u/s the radiologist doing it said it looks like fibroadenoma. She said I could watch and wait and re-u/s in 6 months or get a biopsy now.

The surgeon wants to do the biopsy now.

I am trying to get in to see my gyn for a second opinion, but he is totally booked and I might not be able to get in.

Is doing the surgical biopsy too drastic? Should I be re-considering this? I think the main reason the surgeon wants to do the biopsy is b/c this is a big lump that appeared from out of nowhere (i.e. just had a clinical breast exam at the gyn). Also, it's bigger than the other two lumps which have stayed stable for over a year now (i.e. have not grown).

Old 03-19-2009, 09:41 AM

64 posts, read 343,908 times
Hi Kibblesandbits,

I was just diagnosed with a 2 cm fibroadenoma. I decided to have a needle biopsy. I figured there is no point going through the hassle (and the expense) of an operation if it is not cancer. They are going to re-check me in six months with another ultrasound to see if the lump has grown. I have recently given up caffeine and I hope that helps it.

I was fully awake during the needle biopsy and did not feel anything. I was given a shot of lidocane to numb the area. I left with a bandage and some surgical tape over the place where the needle was. I figured I would be in a lot of pain as soon as the lidocane wore off but that didn't happen. It's fine now but I have a red spot where the needle was. I was really scared about the whole thing but it turned out to be a very simple procedure to go through.

Hope this helps you & try not to worry!

Last edited by new28moon; 03-19-2009 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: correct misspelling

Old 03-21-2009, 05:50 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,450 times
I had a needle biopsy (actually 2 of them) and can share this: doctors approach them in two different ways. One school of thought jabs the needle into your breast at 3 or four different entry points to get sample from different areas. The other school of thought uses one entry point and moves around inside to get the different samples. Again, they gather three or four samples of tissue.

I had them both, and the second option was much more comfortable. Ask your doctor which way they'll do it, that way you'll be prepared.

It's really nothing--but the mental strain of it is incredible. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:25 AM

My open surgical biopsy is scheduled.

I am scared.

What have your experiences been with open surgical biopsy? My surgeon says that because the lump is growing so fast and is already quite large that core needle biopsy is going to miss parts of it and would likely have to be repeated in 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer