U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 04:30 PM

350 posts, read 3,429,194 times

Advertisements

I found a new breast lump last night. I'm a 30 year old woman who already has two breast lumps, which are called fibroadenomas. I got in to see my gyn today, and he said he thinks it's another fibroadenoma. I have to get an ultrasound and then a biopsy of this new one. I'm scared. I have to decide between the core needle or the surgical biopsy.

I am wondering how many more fibroadenomas I'm going to have? Anyone else have multiple breast lumps--cysts or fibroadenomas
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 04:37 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,885,607 times
The chances are that it's another one. BUT you have to be safe. I have know women that had a series of them, and then they stopped forming. I also know of one that got so tired of the constant aggrevation from them, that she had most of her breasts removed. So, you just don't know what is going happen to you. Just keep checking and hoping for the best.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:48 PM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
Yours is a very common condition and nothing to be unduly alarmed by...do you know any of the alternative aids to treat them?

Flax seed meal (grind some seeds up and sprinkle on your cereal) and flax oil (you can buy it in capsules at the drugstore) are great for preventation..as is Evening Primrose Oil and vitamin C.

A high fiber, low-fat diet helps, also.

Too much caffeine from coffee, caffeinated tea and chocolate contribute to their formation. Best to limit your caffeine.

You'll be fine!

Old 03-16-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yours is a very common condition and nothing to be unduly alarmed by...do you know any of the alternative aids to treat them?

Flax seed meal (grind some seeds up and sprinkle on your cereal) and flax oil (you can buy it in capsules at the drugstore) are great for preventation..as is Evening Primrose Oil and vitamin C.

A high fiber, low-fat diet helps, also.

Too much caffeine from coffee, caffeinated tea and chocolate contribute to their formation. Best to limit your caffeine.

You'll be fine!
Thanks for your post. I cut out caffeine years ago--I don't consume any caffeine except a bit of chocolate every so often as a treat. I don't smoke or drink. I'm a vegetarian who only consumes organic dairy products. I don't even wear a bra. I feel like I'm doing the best I can--but this is my third lump in a short period of time.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:52 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,959,107 times
the doctor didn't offer up any advice?
Seems like you are doing the right things. Doctor should know what causes them.
Don't know if ithelps in this situation but I stopped using deodorant years ago, after a few mammograms came back showing something that always turned out to be nothing. But it scared me enough to make changes too and stopping deodorant was one. Since then I've not had any mammogram issues. Soap and water will do the trick without worrying about lead and who knows what else getting into my system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
Thanks for your post. I cut out caffeine years ago--I don't consume any caffeine except a bit of chocolate every so often as a treat. I don't smoke or drink. I'm a vegetarian who only consumes organic dairy products. I don't even wear a bra. I feel like I'm doing the best I can--but this is my third lump in a short period of time.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:06 PM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
Sounds as though you're doing all the right things. Some women are just prone to them...being post-menopause helps..meanwhile I've had great luck with the flax oil and the Evening Primrose Oil...

Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 AM

My doctors don't know why I am getting them.

But now I need to decide between the core needly biopsy and surgical biopsy (removing the whole thing).

Both options terrify me. I am not sure which to choose. My surgeon says it's up to me.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 AM

6,262 posts, read 16,959,107 times
I would prefer the surgery,but then that's just me. I want them in there seeing everything so nothing is missed.

Quote:
My doctors don't know why I am getting them.

But now I need to decide between the core needly biopsy and surgical biopsy (removing the whole thing).

Both options terrify me. I am not sure which to choose. My surgeon says it's up to me.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:56 AM

650 posts, read 1,925,523 times
Quote:
I found a new breast lump last night. I'm a 30 year old woman who already has two breast lumps, which are called fibroadenomas. I got in to see my gyn today, and he said he thinks it's another fibroadenoma. I have to get an ultrasound and then a biopsy of this new one. I'm scared. I have to decide between the core needle or the surgical biopsy.

I am wondering how many more fibroadenomas I'm going to have? Anyone else have multiple breast lumps--cysts or fibroadenomas
My mother and all of her sisters have had multiple lumps removed and biopsied. I don't know if they were fibroadenomas like you had, but all were harmless, but scary.

Good luck to you! I am assuming you were doing a self-exam! Good job!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:06 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,443,210 times
IF you do opt for the surgical biopsy, could they remove the rest of them in that breast? (If there are more then one in that breast) Have the others been biopsied also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or