Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:30 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,451,949 times

Advertisements

Several people in my family have been treated for various cancers. Obviously, it's on my mind frequently, and I was just wondering if you had any thoughts about why cancer is so common now?

From my family I've heard a few, including: pesticides in food, HPV from having premarital sex at a young age, smoking, the cancer treatment actually causing more problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 11:11 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
I have a couple of ideas about that.

One cause I think is 'irritation' such as from the sun, kidney stones, smoking. And the other I think may be from a 'virus' which mutates the cells around them to cause cancer which is uncontrolled cell growth.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:09 AM

489 posts, read 2,015,248 times
I have a long history of it in my family as well, and I've read everything that I can get my hands on about it. I truly believe in a mind-body connection in most physical illnesses. The medical experts have done studies on people psychologically, and they are making links between certain cancers and other illnesses. Yes, you may have a gene that predisposes you to it, but there are other considerations that are well within your control: Your overall physical health (are you taking care of yourself, exercising daily, eating healthy, not smoking, not drinking to excess, etc.) and your emotional health (are you avoiding unnecessary stress, how do you handle stress, are you in situations that you feel are beyond your control, are you avoiding situations or people who cause you to feel hopeless and helpness, are you angry all the time with no outlet, etc.). These things are all within your control, and you would be wise to do all that you can. Another HUGE factor: Do not go around with the attitude that "since there is cancer in my family, it is only a matter of time before I get it; there is no avoiding it" because you will be giving your body permission to become sick; there is a connection between your thoughts and the actual health of your cells. Also, do not fear or obsess about getting cancer. That last concern can be alleviated by doing all that you can (exercise, diet, emotional health, healthy habits) and learning as much as you can about things that are within your control. If you empower yourself, and take care of yourself, there is a very good chance that you can avoid this illness. A great book is "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" which examines the mind-body connection in many illnesses, and I'm quite certain that you can find others at your local library by doing a search for mind-body connection and physical illness. Also, look into proper use of supplements. All the anti-oxidants out there, to include Selenium, have promising preventive - and even treatment - effects. Good luck, and remember that the more you know, the more empowered and more in control that you will feel, and that will go a long, long way in your health.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:42 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
wow. I will need to re-read alot of this later. fedup- sounds like you did alot of research. One thing I noticed- people who eat alot of meat seem to get breast cancer- My husbands Mom has it- she is overweight/obese. I have to think all those chemicals and processed foods cant help.

I used to be a vegetarian, and you do feel alot healthier- any external stress seem alot more manageable when your body is in good shape- sounds simple- but hard to remember when you are stressed out- and crave chocolate-lol

sunny

Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
I really think that aspartame is a cancer causer which research has indicated. I wouldn't touch that stuff for anything, and I see people daily downing diet drinks. That is too scary for me.

Preservatives that are put in processed foods such as sodium nitrate are known to cause cancer, hence, I never eat hot dogs or lunchmeat anymore.

The above are just two things I avoid like the plague.

I know, I can get cancer anyway as it does run in my family, but with the common sense God gave me, I'm not going to indulge in things that have been tested and proven to cause the disease.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:18 AM

5 posts, read 26,303 times
Hello. I believe food additives and lack of exercise play a role in peoples health issues. Also toxins in our environment and definitely our state of mind. We should eat a cleanly as possible (organics). We should work up a sweat atleast 5 days a week. Also we have to clean up our environment. It is easy for me to type this but in the past week i have not had that many veggies and i only exercised yesterday. I am a stressed out single mom, cancer does not run in my family. However I can feel the stress aging me and I know the only way to fight it is to make myself healthier in mind body and spirit. One of my customers just finished her chemo for breast cancer. She lost all her looks but her attitude is a WINNER. I never heard her say "why me?" She is a real hero by setting such a good example for how to go through hard times. I know she cried inside but her outward strength helped us be stong for her too. Bottom line is we have to take really good care of ourselves and eachother and hope for the best.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:52 AM

341 posts, read 1,487,102 times
I believe we're all carrying 'gene cancer baggage'. There are things within the environment and our personal bodies that triggers certain cancers in certain people.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 26,303 times
Hello again. In my earlier post I forgot to mention the sun. MANY of my elderly customers have small scars on their faces that are from skin cancer removals. One of my coworkers has been out due to melanoma and his father passed away from it. This co worker told me he has had some bad sunburns in the past. When I first started noticing the white spots and scars on the faces of some of my customers I did not make the connection until I realized it was mainly on the older ones and also when I saw my coworkers face. I know an older woman who had cervical cancer around 16 yrs ago. She had two surgeries and has been fine ever since. I believe her cancer was due to years of spermicide use. She did not have HPV. I think the strong chemicals she exposed her insides to over the years eventually caused the cancerous cell changes as well as her high stress levels. I would like to know if anyone has any opinions on this case. I dont have any real medical knowledge but these topics concern us all.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:54 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
I think chemicals, bad diet, lack of exercise and stress are the biggest cause of cancer. Chemicals in pesticides, herbicides, food, cleaning products, furniture, office supplies, the air we breather - EVERYWHERE! Processed food void of nutrients and filled with empty calores... not enough fiber, vitamins etc. Sitting in front of a computer at a desk all day, watching tv at night and not getting exercise and fresh air.... and most of all the stressful lives we all lead. It's a surprise that we do not ALL get cancer!

Old 04-09-2007, 04:59 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Cancer is not a new disease. It's been around forever. IMO a lot of things cause it. Genetics, pollution, chemicals/preservatives in food, chemicals in personal hygiene products, chemicals in household products, viruses, the sun/UV rays, radiation... I think all a person can do is try to live a clean, wholesome life, enjoy things in moderation, and exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer