U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:46 AM

207 posts, read 373,350 times
Question Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Does anyone have any experience with one of these centers or know someone who has been a patient there? My mom has breast cancer (for the 3rd time over a 14-year-period) that has metastasized into her spine. Recently she was having shortness of breath and a dry cough. Her local hospital and family doctor did a chest xray and found "shadows" on each lung. They said it wasn't cancer and that she had pneumonia. She spent several days in the hospital for that. Now, two weeks later she went back in for the same thing again and more testing. Apparently, the shadows are cancer that has spread to her lungs. She now needs chemo (they only had her on bone infusions of Zometa before). I am frustrated beyond frustrated with these doctors and this hospital and would like her to seek another opinion and/or treatment. I see the commercials all the time for these centers and they seem so encouraging. I have researched their website but as with any business website, it all appears wonderful with no negatives. I appreciate any information you might be able to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 12:49 PM

17,941 posts, read 13,037,955 times
I think I would look at Sloan Kettering or the cancer care center or whatever it is in Cleveland before looking at cancer treatment center of america.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:08 PM

207 posts, read 373,350 times
Actually I'm in the northeast so I've been looking in the Philly or NY area. Any reasons why you say not to look at CTCOA?

Old 10-15-2009, 02:15 PM

16,658 posts, read 15,706,070 times
I used to work at a Cancer Treatment Center of America. Both drs seemed to be good drs, but they did not seem caring to me, nor did the staff. I did my externship there so I wasn't really staff.

This is just one of the centers, I cannot speak for all of them.

A few years after that they changed their name. I am wondering if something had gone wrong for CTCA not to want them under their name.

I wish I had more info for you but you will be in my thoughts and prayers as I know how it feels... both parents.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:24 PM

12,324 posts, read 17,129,934 times
I would not take my cat to CTCOA. My own personal .02. Look at MD Anderson, Sloan Kettering Mayo, Duke, etc.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:30 PM

1,837 posts, read 2,437,926 times
Hi my 49-year old sister has Stage IV small cell lung cancer and now spine cancer as well. She only has Medicaid. She isn't getting very good care either and it sounds similar to your experience with your mom The Doctors don't seem to know what they are doing and they are constantly changing their diagnosis and treatment plan. My sister is very confused.

I called CTCOA last week and nearly begged them to consider taking my sister because there is a center about a mile from my house. I would love her to get a second opinion since she is limited in Colorado with Medicaid. The person I spoke with was very cold and calculated in his response to my Medicaid question. All he said to me was "The doctors are not accepting any more Medicaid patients and good luck to your sister". Then I recieved emails from them trying to push their newsletter and diet info. I emailed them back and explained how rude and insensitive it was to email me when I was asking for help for my sis... It didn't leave a very good impression on me and I can't help but think that it is a center only for the fortunate or rich people who can afford it.

So my suggestion and I say this to myself all the time. Don't give up hope... God is bigger than any center or Doctor and I just keep praying.. I refuse to give up hope and I try to encourage my sister as best as I can..

Thanks for sharing and I am so sorry about you mom.. I will be thinking about you and her...

Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 PM

154 posts, read 340,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
Actually I'm in the northeast so I've been looking in the Philly or NY area. Any reasons why you say not to look at CTCOA?
If you are in the NY area, MSKCC is by far the best choice for breast cancer, especially with metastasis to the lungs, as you suspect. I believe MSKCC is the hospital that sees the largest number of breast cancer cases in the US.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:37 PM

380 posts, read 545,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hi my 49-year old sister has Stage IV small cell lung cancer and now spine cancer as well.
Our daughter-in-law (48) has just been diagnosed with nonsmall cell Stage IV Lung cancer which has metasticized to her spine. They also think one of two lesions in her brain is also cancer. It is hard to tell because she has had MS for 12 years and the MS lesions can look like tumors.

With treatment, she has been told she has 10 to 12 months to live. We are just crushed. She and our son have a 10-year old daughter at home.

How is your sister being treated? I believe small cell Lung Cancer has a better 5-year survival rate than nonsmall cell. In our case, they implanted bone glue into her vertebrae to alleviate some of the pain and help her to be mobile. She is receiving radiation five days a week for a three week span. I don't know if chemo will follow. They fitted her with a back brace and she is actually walking around and hopes to go home in a few days. The rest of the radiation will be done as an outpatient.

How long ago was your sister diagnosed?? How has the disease progressed? We have so many questions.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:47 PM

3,651 posts, read 5,198,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I would not take my cat to CTCOA.
Why?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:55 PM

12,324 posts, read 17,129,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Why?
Because I love my cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer