U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-19-2009, 01:27 AM

380 posts, read 593,999 times
Default Are we Born with Cancer?

My friend told me we are born with it.... and the food we eat we feed it everyday and everyday until it takes over our bodies.. is this true? what is the real main cause of cancer guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 05:27 AM

20,166 posts, read 6,812,362 times
Everybody, every day has cells that mutate and become cancerous. Generally it is not a problem as long as your immune system is able to kill those cells when they develop. The food you eat is very important in making sure you provide your body with the proper balance of nutrients that will keep your immune system working effectively. Obviously, if you do not eat properly, your immune system degrades to a point where it will no longer kill those mutated cells and the disease Cancer will develop. The body can do amazing things to help itself, if given the proper fuel.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:33 AM

2,868 posts, read 6,010,996 times
I definitly think some cancers have genetic roots...and environmental components can and do trigger the process...I think those components are different for everyone. Some people just react differently...

Old 10-19-2009, 01:14 PM

8,424 posts, read 23,359,491 times
I think its viral. Things we do not even know what they are yet. I also think you can be born with it due to that. But, I also think that it can be something in a next generation that will not affect the baby due to combination of two genetic lines and other illness/germs contracted in life that boost the immune system to fight it.

I think its viral because of how it acts in its development and growth, a study a read on wormwood being injected into tumors,(Wormwood is a natural anti-viral and the cancer cells were dying from the injection.) and now with them saying HPV triggers cancer among other STDs seemingly making a person prone to cancer. I just think a lot of it is viral anyway.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:45 PM

228 posts, read 357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Everybody, every day has cells that mutate and become cancerous. Generally it is not a problem as long as your immune system is able to kill those cells when they develop. The food you eat is very important in making sure you provide your body with the proper balance of nutrients that will keep your immune system working effectively. Obviously, if you do not eat properly, your immune system degrades to a point where it will no longer kill those mutated cells and the disease Cancer will develop. The body can do amazing things to help itself, if given the proper fuel.
Very well said!

There was a question regarding aging on the Great Debates forum a while back. I've copy-and-pasted my post to that topic below because it parallels what you stated and, somewhat, touches the cancer question asked by the OP.

Great topic.

I've actually done a little research on this topic in my past. I hope I can offer interesting insight.

Essentially, biological aging refers to the gradual loss of functional cells.

Why, then, do we lose functional cells?
Our bodies produce Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) that apply oxidative stress to our cells and DNA, leading to the oxidative damage of our cells and DNA, leading to the death and removal of these oxidatively damaged cells and DNA.

These oxidatively damaged cells and DNA need to be killed and removed (by our bodies) because they serve as potential sources for mutation and cancer and therefore must not be allowed to exist and divide (following this logic, some researchers theorize that aging is our body's attempt to avoid cancer; consequently, they also argue, cancer would be unavoidable if we lived long enough).

Why, then, do we produce ROS if it damages our cells and DNA?
An evolutionary theory exists that says natural selection favors those genes and biological processes that promote the survival of an organism to reproductive maturity, even if those genes or biological processes have unselected harmful effects late in life. In other words, natural selection favors immediate survival at a cost to maintenance.

ROS are by-products of energy production during aerobic metabolism.
Energy production via aerobic metabolism, although a source of these harmful ROS, is necessary for optimal functioning in the immediate.

In short
Natural biological aging, then, can be thought of as an evolutionary consequence of living efficient/productive reproductive years

In addition to "natural" biological aging via "internal" sources of ROS,
we also experience "unnatural" biological aging via "external" sources of ROS, such as UV radiation, tobacco smoke, pollutants in the atmosphere, poor nutrition.

Depending on how often and how strongly we are exposed to these "external" sources of ROS, we can hasten the natural biological aging process by increasing ROS levels in our bodies.

Last edited by healthpub; 10-19-2009 at 06:06 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 07:03 AM

29,317 posts, read 17,450,760 times
There are a variety of sources of cancer.
Eat healthy, avoid pollutants etc. and you will help to minimize your chances of cancer and other problems.

Best of luck to you all.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 AM

3,700 posts, read 10,880,442 times
Actually you are born w/ markers on cells (genetic factors create markers) that cause the cells to mutate and form cancer. Different folks have different markers and amounts of exposure to trigger those markers. Example: 50% of the population (not an actual number just for example) has a marker which is triggered by an element in cigarette smoke. Given a long enough life and enough exposure, those folks would develop cancer in response to this element or chemical. The other 50% could smoke and never get cancer, emphyzema maybe but not cancer. Equally you may have the marker, but if you never smoke then it would not be triggered and you would not get cancer. The trick is, no one knows what triggers all the markers. It is possible that for someone out there something common like strawberries could be a trigger. It is also possible that poor diet or the onset of puberty could trigger it. Research is being done to identify the markers (i.e. BRCA for breast cancer) and separate research identifies chemicals and other factors which might act as triggers. That is the way I understand it anyway.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:35 AM

20,166 posts, read 6,812,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Actually you are born w/ markers on cells (genetic factors create markers) that cause the cells to mutate and form cancer. Different folks have different markers and amounts of exposure to trigger those markers. Example: 50% of the population (not an actual number just for example) has a marker which is triggered by an element in cigarette smoke. Given a long enough life and enough exposure, those folks would develop cancer in response to this element or chemical. The other 50% could smoke and never get cancer, emphyzema maybe but not cancer. Equally you may have the marker, but if you never smoke then it would not be triggered and you would not get cancer. The trick is, no one knows what triggers all the markers. It is possible that for someone out there something common like strawberries could be a trigger. It is also possible that poor diet or the onset of puberty could trigger it. Research is being done to identify the markers (i.e. BRCA for breast cancer) and separate research identifies chemicals and other factors which might act as triggers. That is the way I understand it anyway.
My understanding is similar to yours. What an individual CAN do is make sure that they get the wide range of proper nutritional fuel every day. By doing this, one can avoid the disease as much as humanly possible. That does not mean Cancer will not arise, but it does mean that the risk CAN be greatly reduced.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:24 PM

2,312 posts, read 4,600,719 times
Nobody knows what triggers cancer. You can have markers and mutations, but nobody know what actually triggers the cancer's growth.

And studies have shown that negative mental attitudes do not cause cancer, in case anyone was wondering.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:29 PM

14,702 posts, read 16,694,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Spot on, florida.bob. I don't know where you got your smarts, but you rock dude.

Keeping your immune system strong and healthy is the best way to stay healthy. Eating right and supplementation is of vital importance.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer