U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:49 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,462,021 times
Default Jalapenos?

I can't help but wonder if the capsaicin in Jalapenos had a positive effect on my son, who has brain cancer. A few years ago, a friend of mine grew jalapenos, "pickled" them and put them in a huge jar. He knew my son liked them and since we heard reports of capsaicin having positive effects in fighting cancer, I encouraged my son to eat them. He polished them off in a matter of a few weeks (if I'm not mistaken). Shortly afterwards, he had his next MRI. He received a favorable report that time. According to my son, the doctor said to him, "Whatever it is you are doing, keep on doing it." Since then, he did not eat anywhere near that amount of the pepper, just a little now and again if we had guacamole dip. After enduring chemo after chemo, he felt he did not have the tolerance for jalapenos anymore. A big surprise to me. Anyway, I thought I'd put this out there to see if anyone else has had a similar experience or has considered it. My son's cancer has now progressed rapidly and it is in his brain stem, so of course, I asked his wife to at least start giving him it in pill form. By the way...your prayers are most welcome. My son's name is Shawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:35 PM

1,476 posts, read 3,343,143 times
I will say my prayers for Shawn. I think the capsaisin is good for inflamation, but I don't know if I've ever read anything about it helping with cancer.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:30 PM

Thank you very much, photobuff42. Here is one of a number of links regarding capsaicin studies. Jalapeno Peppers Show Promise as Treatment for Cancer | ChattahBox News Blog

Old 01-31-2010, 08:36 AM

993 posts, read 827,235 times
From what I have read..it would seem that jalapenos speed up metabolism and increase urine output. I could see how this could flush out more toxins with the increased urinary output.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:37 AM

7,088 posts, read 11,715,159 times
I have heard and read that foods such as some peppers and some of the hot spices can kill the cancer cells.
My opinion is try it. What can it hurt? I would also continue doing it if it worked for me.
Whatever works!

Old 01-31-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
From what I have read..it would seem that jalapenos speed up metabolism and increase urine output. I could see how this could flush out more toxins with the increased urinary output.
Yes, I would like to think so.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I have heard and read that foods such as some peppers and some of the hot spices can kill the cancer cells.
My opinion is try it. What can it hurt? I would also continue doing it if it worked for me.
Whatever works!
I think so too. I did try to encourage him when I noticed he wasn't eating them the way he used to. I still believe that had a positive effect. I hope people don't think I'm trying to tell other people what to do. I just think it is something to be considered. Best wishes to everyone.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,027 times
Default about shawn

i hope shawn is doing ok....my prayers are w/ him and you and the family..i heard alot of good about that type of therapy..(capsaisin)...i want to get my wife on that regiman too..she had pancreatic cancer...maybe it will help.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:20 AM

84 posts, read 231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecam222 View Post
I can't help but wonder if the capsaicin in Jalapenos had a positive effect on my son, who has brain cancer. A few years ago, a friend of mine grew jalapenos, "pickled" them and put them in a huge jar. He knew my son liked them and since we heard reports of capsaicin having positive effects in fighting cancer, I encouraged my son to eat them. He polished them off in a matter of a few weeks (if I'm not mistaken). Shortly afterwards, he had his next MRI. He received a favorable report that time. According to my son, the doctor said to him, "Whatever it is you are doing, keep on doing it." Since then, he did not eat anywhere near that amount of the pepper, just a little now and again if we had guacamole dip. After enduring chemo after chemo, he felt he did not have the tolerance for jalapenos anymore. A big surprise to me. Anyway, I thought I'd put this out there to see if anyone else has had a similar experience or has considered it. My son's cancer has now progressed rapidly and it is in his brain stem, so of course, I asked his wife to at least start giving him it in pill form. By the way...your prayers are most welcome. My son's name is Shawn.

I found this thread while googling "jalapeno pancreatic cancer". How is your son doing? Did he get back to eating the peppers? Hope all is well.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:55 AM

Default Regarding jalapenos and cancer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinarySoul View Post
I found this thread while googling "jalapeno pancreatic cancer". How is your son doing? Did he get back to eating the peppers? Hope all is well.
Hi OrdinarySoul. I'm afraid I don't have the answer for you. Unfortunately, my son continued with chemo and did not eat large amounts of peppers like that again. He passed away 1/28/11. My prayers to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer