Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:36 PM

38 posts, read 93,234 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I'm just looking for thoughts on a situation I recently found myself in...

I had a leiomyosarcoma which was only diagnosed after removal of what was thought to be a fibroid. I didn't have any treatment as the pathology report showed a low grade cancer and scans showed it hadn't spread. I was checked regularly though and 18 months later I had a hysterectomy (aged 34) due to a recurrence. Diagnosis was still low grade, so again I had no chemo or radiotherapy.

Recently I was at a friends party where I met (for the first time) her Mom who has had recurrent breast cancer which has spread. She has just finished another round of chemo.

When talking with this lady the subject of her cancer came up and at one point she said "...and I hear you've had a scare". I responded that I had received a diagnosis of cancer but I didn't have to undergo chemo or radiotherapy.

Her response was to state "Well, it wasn't really cancer then, was it."

I was quite offended at this but I let it drop because a) I was at my friends party and b) I know this lady is likely to die from her cancer.

What is your opinion? Can someone not really have cancer unless they have to undergo the pain of chemo or radiotherapy? Whilst I haven't had to experience this I still had the sleepless nights when first diagnosed, wondering if it was going to kill me; I have another four years of 6 monthly scans and I still get scared and sleepless before each one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 03:21 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,293,068 times
Whoa !! It seems to me like this woman has a bad attitude and she wants to spread her bitterness around.
I have breast cancer, have had surgery and will be starting chemo in a few weeks but the facts are, everyone is individual and the treatment plan according to your disease is individual.
I know of people that have cancer now and that have had cancer in the past (and I'm talking different types of cancer) that have not had to have chemo or radiation and I know of a 3 people that have refused chemo altogether.
I had an option to take chemo or not take it but studies have proven that my survival rate will be higher if I take chemo.
(I had a masectomy and the cancer had not spread to my nodes or according to the cat scan, anywhere else in my body (supposedly) so my option was to take chemo just to make sure.)
Yes, the whole cancer thing is scary but as time goes along, we do too. Listen to what your doctor says and if you're uncomfortable with that, get another opinion and listen to your gut feeling.
Do not listen to negative people.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:02 PM

38 posts, read 93,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Listen to what your doctor says and if you're uncomfortable with that, get another opinion and listen to your gut feeling.
Do not listen to negative people.
Thanks. I'm totally comfortable with the "treatment" that I've had (or rather, not had) as I know that it was the best course of action for me in my circumstance.

I think you're right in that, maybe, there's a bit of bitterness that after all she's had to go through it's likely the cancer will still get the better of her, yet I've come away relatively 'unscathed' (although that in itself is of course relative).

I guess I was just surprised/shocked that anyone could even think what she voiced and wondered if this was a common perception amongst people. I know a lot of people immediately associate cancer with chemo and certainly when I was first diagnosed that was my first thought, but as we know it's not always the case.

I wish you the best for your upcoming chemo.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:04 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,166,687 times
I'm right there with Song. I have just recovered from BC too. My friend had cancer and had her kidney, spleen, and ovary removed as the tumor on her kidney was the size of a baseball and had involved blood vessels. She did not have to have chemo or radiation but it still has had a pretty profound effect on her life. It was compounded by the fact that she was pretty much homeless at the time after Hurricane Ike totally messed up her home (everything but the house itself was destroyed including all utilities and the stairs to get to the elevated house, also 6 ft of debris around the property which included someone's sailboat in the front yard). BTW my friend is 72 and is doing great, will see her for Easter lunch tomorrow.

So yes, you have had cancer and went through the emotional cost of that and the physical cost of that. She should not belittle your experience.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:28 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,225,728 times
You handled the situation exactly the right way. I commend you for your poise. My mom had a tumor in her lung that was removed and required no chemo or radiation therapy. It was still cancer, just like yours was cancer. Good luck to you and hope you stay in the best of health.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:13 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,888,452 times
I hear cancer can make you very angry but thats not excusing her for being rude, just trying to understand .

Old 04-04-2010, 05:02 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,387,056 times
A leiomysarcoma is a rare slow growing uterine cancer. When diagnosed in the early stages, surgical removal (hysterectomy) is the standard treatment. Chemotherapy/radiation are indicated if there is any evidence of metastasis, such as in any pelvic or para-aortic lymph nodes. Some cancers are cured by sugical excision if detected early and don't require further treatment. Sorry you were confronted by an ignorant person, or should I say "uninformed".

Old 04-04-2010, 08:33 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,191,964 times
Well no, actually, leiomysarcoma is an aggressive soft tissue cancer and not necessarily uterine or slow growing, and radiation and/or chemo is often recommended TO PREVENT metastasis as well as attack it if it occurs. I am therefore surprised but glad this one was considered low grade enough that it wasn't deemed necessary.

DMDA, props for taking the high road. Wasn't easy I'm sure.

Last edited by joey2000; 04-04-2010 at 08:45 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,870 times
Hi All, my wife O.Anuradha, 47 was operated for Left ovarian mass of 16 cms x 12 cms that was surgically removed as also TAH(Total Abdominal Hysterectomy) was performed on March 12, 2010 and Doctors of multi discipline suggest Spindle cell tumour Low Grade leiomyosarcoma and treatment suggested was 3 spells of chemotheraphy,radiation of 30 fractions followed by 3 spells of chemo.Since there might have been breach/break up of cells paving way into blood stream ,do you thing the CT & RT are suggested or excision of mass is the only solution.I f no CT.RT is administered, what is the other solution.Please suggest as it is very urgent.thanks
VINOD DINAKAR Godala,India + 91 9951990763

Old 04-24-2010, 12:52 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,191,964 times
First I STRONGLY suggest you do not look for medical advice on an internet message board (this isn't even a medical one) from people who are not doctors, never mind oncologists, never mind sarcoma oncologists.

I AM NOT doctor so again keep that in mind - but from what you are saying, radiation and/or chemo SOUND like a wise precaution. Of course you could always get a second opinion, which I think is always a good idea. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer