Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:26 PM

78,406 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
"Everyone with sense" ?

You're overestimating the health knowledge of the public. Up till a few years ago I thought that the government was making sure that the food we eat was healthy and didn't contain poisons.

Most people think like that. Chicken is chicken. How bad could breaded chicken be?
....and yet people smoke, and take meth and never exercise etc etc etc.

Let's not forget, this is Susan G. Komen...it's hardly the AMA and pink buckets might actually get people to learn a bit about health and if not these are people eating buckets of chicken already so where is the harm?

I just don't see otherwise healthy people suddenly gobbling down KFC because of some implied endorsement by SGC. IF they do, oh well....that's ignorance and free choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 01:48 PM

345 posts, read 1,641,935 times
By the way Susan G. Koman is the late sister of Nancy Brinker who was married to the late owner of Jack in The Box, Chili's and assorted other MSG and preservative laden processed food companies.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:49 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by showhost1540 View Post
We constantly hear that maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle is an essential tool for the prevention of breast cancer and heart disease.

YET the FRIED CHICKEN GIANT of the free world is offering buckets, not a grilled two piece, BUT BUCKETS to fight for the cure.

Why???

What about other diseases, such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease and stroke? Should we forget about that?

Doesn't that send a mixed message? I can't put all of the blame on KFC, they want the publicity. Shouldn't we have some criticism for the foundation? Shouldn't they partner with organizations that are passionate about the overall health and well-being of the women in our community? I can't belive that their PR team didn't see this as a bad move...
don't you know that breast cancer is the most common cancer ever? that it stikes more people than any other cancer? that the cure rate is way lower than any cancer? that the incidence of reoccurance is far greater than any other cancer in the world? that the cost of treatment is way higher than all other cancers?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:53 PM

"Let's not forget, this is Susan G. Komen...it's hardly the AMA and pink buckets might actually get people to learn a bit about health and if not these are people eating buckets of chicken already so where is the harm?"

Where's the harm? The harm is that NOW all of these people who eat KFC regularly NOW think that it's OK because Race For The Cure is now attached to the company.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
Quote:
"Everyone with sense" ?

You're overestimating the health knowledge of the public. Up till a few years ago I thought that the government was making sure that the food we eat was healthy and didn't contain poisons.

Most people think like that. Chicken is chicken. How bad could breaded chicken be?
With all the knowledge out there today, most people should know pretty much what is good and what is not good. Makes sense to me that fried chicken is not good. Eating 5 chocolate bars a day is not good. It seems to me that these are common sense. I'm not saying that we know everything there is to know about what's good and what's bad but fried chicken and fast food when eaten daily is not good and people have to know that.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Fried chicken is NOT bad.

Kentucky fried chicken is bad.

There is a HUGE difference.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:07 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
[P]ink buckets might actually get people to learn a bit about health and if not these are people eating buckets of chicken already so where is the harm?

I just don't see otherwise healthy people suddenly gobbling down KFC because of some implied endorsement by SGC. IF they do, oh well....that's ignorance and free choice.
I think it's a mixed message. Susan G. Komen and the Race for the Cure are about preventing and curing breast cancer, but they are endorsing KFC, whose food does the opposite. And to me, that says they care more about money than accomplishing their goal, and that makes me hesitate about giving money to them at all. I am planning to run in a local Race for the Cure in September.

This campaign also exploits the ridiculous notion that buying a bucket of chicken (or pink can opener, or pink socks, or sandwich bags with little pink ribbons printed on them) is a real act of charity, when the fine print is usually that the company will contribute 1% of the profit to a charity. The checks cut are often pretty small; the company just uses that image of goodwill to sell products, not because they actually give a damn. But that's another issue. I guess charities will take money from anyone, but I wish some of them would think a little harder about what they're trying to do. Putting their name and logo on a product that is shown to increase the risk of the cancer they want to eliminate makes no sense.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:24 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,142 times
come on guys, Susan G Komen and fried chicken are a natural fit. Even roast beef lovers should give.

Hala Moddelmog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hala Moddelmog (born January 3, 1956, in Georgia, U.S.A.) became president and chief executive officer of Susan G. Komen for the Cure in September 2006. Moddelmog is a breast cancer survivor who was diagnosed in 2001. [1] She is responsible for all aspects of management for Komen for the Cure, the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists. Her compensation for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2008 was $459,406.[

In 1995, Moddelmog was appointed as president of Church's Chicken, a division of Atlanta-based AFC Enterprises, making her the first female president of a quick service restaurant chain (also known as fast food restaurants).
Moddelmog has also held executive management and marketing positions at Church’s Chicken, Arbys Franchise Association and BellSouth.

funny how SGK's expenses are equal to it's revenue.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:30 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Where's the harm? The harm is that NOW all of these people who eat KFC regularly NOW think that it's OK because Race For The Cure is now attached to the company.
Quote:
Fried chicken is NOT bad.

Kentucky fried chicken is bad.

There is a HUGE difference.

Did KFC fire you or something? You clearly have a huge ax to grind there. ie do you really think there's this huge % of people who eat KFC regularly that didn't think it "was OK" before and now because of this they do? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? Further and FYI yes, ALL fried chicken IS bad (in excess). I knew it was generally, but didn't know about the cancer link until also corrected above.

Generally this thing of painting KFC as "evil" is pretty ridiculous. They are a business selling a product that people like which is not inherently "bad." It's the fools eating it too often that cause problems for themselves. It's chicken people, not heroin. And they were selling it for many, many years before any link to ANY health issues about it were known (or at least commonly known).

Finally, since they are going to keep selling it regardless, how is it bad to also raise some money and/or awareness of cancer (personally I wish they would do it for cancer in general vs just breast cancer, but still a great effort of course)? Even if they are doing it to try and "win some people over," IMO the greater good of money and awareness raised far, FAR out-weighs the bad of a few extra people (perhaps, that is even debatable) buying chicken they weren't going to otherwise buy.

And trashing the SGK Foundation because of this is nothing short of asinine.

Last edited by joey2000; 05-04-2010 at 04:38 PM..

Old 05-04-2010, 05:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
[H]ow is it bad to also raise some money and/or awareness of cancer (personally I wish they would do it for cancer in general vs just breast cancer, but still a great effort of course)? Even if they are doing it to try and "win some people over," IMO the greater good of money and awareness raised far, FAR out-weighs the bad of a few extra people (perhaps, that is even debatable) buying chicken they weren't going to otherwise buy.
Maybe I just don't understand how selling fried chicken in pink buckets "raises awareness."

On KFC's Buckets for the Cure, under "Breast Cancer Information," it says (and I'm summarizing, because I can't copy and paste):
Tips for a Healthy You

Susan G. Komen for the Cure(R) recommends that you:

1. Know your risk (talk to your family, talk to your doctor)
2. Get screened (see a doctor, get a mammogram)
3. Make healthy lifestyle choices (maintain a healthy weight, get some exercise, don't drink too much)
4. Learn what's "normal" to your body and see a doctor if anything changes
That sounds nice, but SGK has more to say on their own website.

Susan G. Komen for the Cure | Understanding Breast Cancer | Risk Factors and Prevention | Healthy Behaviors
There is no sure way to prevent breast cancer. Some healthy lifestyle choices, though, may help lower your risk of breast cancer as well as your risk of heart disease, diabetes, colon cancer and osteoporosis. Everyone should try to:
  • Be physically active.
  • Maintain a healthy weight.
  • Cut down on "bad" fats (saturated and trans fats) and eat more "good" fats (polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, like olive and canola oil).
  • Take a daily multivitamin with folic acid (often called "folate" on nutrition labels).
  • If you drink, limit alcohol (to less than one drink a day for women and fewer than two drinks a day for men). Those who drink alcohol should try to get enough folic acid, either through a multivitamin or foods like oranges, orange juice, green leafy vegetables and fortified breakfast cereals.
  • If possible, choose to breastfeed children.
KFC doesn't include that information on their website? Inconceivable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer