U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:33 AM

59 posts, read 166,945 times

Advertisements

Filed a comprehensive claim with the insurance company and they said that when the issue the check for the repairs it will be issued to both an auto body shop with a tax ID # and myself. I have always heard that one can either use the check to make repairs to the vehicle or take the money and not repair it. Nothing is owed on the car. Is this how the claim is typically done or am I entitled to the funds without the auto body company also on the check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:36 AM

33,831 posts, read 41,883,302 times
I've had it happen both ways, it might be controlled by your state's insurance laws.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 AM

11,795 posts, read 21,373,538 times
Two years ago or so a tire came off a trailer and hit my wife's car. We got several estimates and forwarded them to the insurance company. The insurance company reduced the price of the quote with the auto shop (apparently there are standard pay rates or some such) and issued us a check. We cashed the check and could either do nothing, or go get the car fixed with the money now in our account and pay the shop directly. This was in Raleigh.

We elected to do nothing because the car was old and the check was for more than 50% of the value of the car.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:37 AM

439 posts, read 1,140,103 times
A few years back I hit a deer they came out looked at the damage and left a check in my name on the dash

Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 AM

5,159 posts, read 9,669,921 times
If you have a lien on your vehicle, your insurance has to protect them as well. The company I work for it the amount of over 3k and there is a lien holder(and you are not using one of our DRP's) we have to issue a two party check, whether its to you and the shop, or you and your lien holder, we have to protect them as well.

If you don't have a lien holder its possible your ins company still thinks you do, call them and let them know. They will probably require a copy of your title as well as the release of lien letter

Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 AM

7,475 posts, read 20,146,316 times
They do that now so you will get the vehicle fixed. A large % of people opt to just keep the money and not fix the car, so they make sure you use the money for what it is intended for. Insurance companies are in business to pay for damages to your vehicle, not to pay for your vacation.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 AM

5,159 posts, read 9,669,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
They do that now so you will get the vehicle fixed. A large % of people opt to just keep the money and not fix the car, so they make sure you use the money for what it is intended for. Insurance companies are in business to pay for damages to your vehicle, not to pay for your vacation.
Very true, but its your car and you have the right not to fix it. However if you make a claim for damages and they pay you directly, and you suffer a loss in the same area, be prepared to prove you made the repairs, if you dont the prior dmgs will come out the new estimate.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:37 PM

9,150 posts, read 16,559,209 times
Years ago I had a couple of claims where they just wrote me a check, one of which was for hail damage that I didn't bother fixing (good move on my part as a couple of months down the road all the dents had worked themselves out and you couldn't tell they were ever there).

The last couple of times they were made out to both me and the shop doing the work, which was no big deal because the vehicle needed to have the repairs made right away to make it drivable.

I don't know if it varies by state or by company.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:40 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,273,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Very true, but its your car and you have the right not to fix it. However if you make a claim for damages and they pay you directly, and you suffer a loss in the same area, be prepared to prove you made the repairs, if you dont the prior dmgs will come out the new estimate.
Or you can deal with the repairs in some combo of shop and DIY. When my car was hit in a parking lot, I straightened the fender liner myself, found an OEM fender, and paid to have it painted and installed. Saved half of the check I was given. The car before that I fixed the front end brackets, reattached the trans cooler, and paid to have the hood painted. Saved about 60$ of the check on that one. Never had a problem with either repair.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:47 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,758,064 times
I had an insurance man say he couldn't give me the check because I still owed on the car. He didn't know I had already paid the car note off early...THEN I GOT MY MONEY after I yanked out the title. Never let the insurance company pick the body shop because often they have "deals" <kickbacks in place. Insurance company scammers and body shop scammers work well together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or