Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 02:46 PM

892 posts, read 1,499,646 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the joys of dealing with a cut rate insurance company.

Several years ago I got rear ended by a kid doing 70+ on a 40MPH limit surface street. He ran his Focus straight up the rear end of my truck, and my hitch sliced his hood open like a tin can. The slice started about 6" from the front edge, and went arrow straight up his hood about 18". This was after he laid down roughly 250 feet of rubber on the pavement.

The responding officer wrote in the report that I side swiped him, basically merging into the same space his car occupied. He didn't even bother to look at the scene of the accident, and apparently didn't bother to actually look at this kid's car either. I was determined by the officer to be at fault for the accident, as well as issued a citation for failure to yield.

Geico told me that since the officer wrote in the report that I was at fault, I was basically SOL, regardless of the damage to his car, even if I got the ticket dismissed in court. Upon showing the photos to a buddy that used to do claims adjusting for AAA, he said it would have been a no brainer that there was no possible way that I could have merged into this guy's car. Another adjuster from State Farm agreed, and both had said that they have heard many similar stories from people switching from Geico, Progressive, etc.

These companies seem like a great idea until you have a claim made, then it seems as it will frequently end up costing you more than had you gone with a better company to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 03:23 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
You did everything you could do, except call the police. They will come out and write up an accident report which protects you from just the sort of behavior which you have experienced.

Pictures, statements, witnesses--get as much info as you possibly can to demonstrate what actually happened.

Your car could have been broadsided and totaled without you in it and the other insurance company is going to say it was your fault. Your insurance company will cut through that BS; but they also know from experience when it is less costly to simply pay you, and when it is "profitable" to go after the 'at fault' person.

Chalk it up to "life" and move on. If it is the worst that ever happens to you in a car consider yourself fortunate.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:12 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
You did everything you could do, except call the police. They will come out and write up an accident report which protects you from just the sort of behavior which you have experienced.
It may be different where you live, but the police here will not respond to an accident in a parking lot. Someone backed into my mom in the parking lot of the police impound (dad with dementia had been on a wrong-way joyride and mom had to go get his car out). We called the police and asked them to come out and make a report and they said they would not because it happened in a parking lot.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:07 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
OP, most insurance companues have an information packet with instructions on what to do in the event of an accident. You might be able to get it online.

I remember fighting Geico all the time for our body shop, they hate to pay. Call an Allstate agent, you won't be sorry. IMHO.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:57 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I remember fighting Geico all the time for our body shop, they hate to pay.
Geico is insidious when it comes to paying out claims. I try to tell everyone that has Geico, you better not screw up and hit somebody, because the odds are good that the person you hit will have to sue Geico because they're such a bad faith company. The lemmings always say, "Uh, duh i don't care about being sued, my insurance will just pay it". Yes, they'll pay it. And then you'll be paying significantly higher premiums(to Geico or some other ins. company) for many years thereafter, all because you were too stupid or cheap to get reputable insurance coverage.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:10 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Insurance companies will always say that their insured was not at fault.
Not necessarily. I have been involved in accidents where the other party admitted fault, and their insurance company immediately accepted full liability. I believe they make their decision based on what their client tells them.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hey,
I just wanted to know if this is the norm and what, if anything, I could do differently next time. A few weeks ago I was backed into. I was pulling into a parking lot during my lunch time and next thing I know I was backed into. I didn't see her. She must've not seen me, either and simply backed up. The timing couldn't been worse as she backed right into me! This was my first accident, so I wasn't sure exactly what to do. I took down the person's name and insurance info. I know I should've taken it a step further and called the police, but no one was hurt. My car was roughed up a little bit and her car seemed ok, minus a rear light cap popping out. While getting her info, she asked "well, how do you see that this happened?" I said "well, I was driving and all of a sudden I feel my whole car shake...that's when you hit me". She simply said "yeah.."

My Insurance: Geico
Her Insurance: Nationwide

I filed a claim through my insurance and it was determined "not at fault" (duh, she backed into me). I spoke to my insurance company who filed on my behalf to her insurance company. I sent in pictures of my car which I took right after the accident. I know I should've taken pictures of her car as well. A few days went by and she sent in her pictures. I did a statement with her company and my company and it was determined by my company I was not at fault, but her company said it was my fault (they said there was "conflicting information"). Based on the pictures, it was determined that I was at fault. My insurance company seemed to simply shurg their shoulders and say "yeah, they're not paying...sorry" Just like that, that was it was over. I clearly was not at fault. They are "going after" her insurance company, but I know its a long process. My car is now fixed and I had to pay my deductible and such, but I am still bitter at how everything was handled. Is this common? My insurance company just sorta gave up.
Dump your insurance. When my insurance company finds me not at fault (which has happened more then a few times) the first thing they explained to me, is that they will be providing my legal defense if the case goes to court. That has never been necessary. The closest I have ever come was a rental car company that tried to bill me for damages to one of their cars, after my insurance had already found me to be not at fault. I informed my insurance, and they told me not to worry about it. That they would take care of it, and they did. I never heard from the rental company again.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:47 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,198,645 times
Not sure I understand what happened. Where were you hit. Where, specifically, was the damage on both of the vehicles? Front, side, back corner, etc? If you have damage on the rear of your vehicle, it would be difficult to prove. If damage was on the side, or front of your vehicle and her damage was on the rear, it should be much easier to prove.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It may be different where you live, but the police here will not respond to an accident in a parking lot. Someone backed into my mom in the parking lot of the police impound (dad with dementia had been on a wrong-way joyride and mom had to go get his car out). We called the police and asked them to come out and make a report and they said they would not because it happened in a parking lot.
I agree. Most police departments will not even take a report of an accident, if it happens on a public road, unless there are injuries, or at least serious damages. It would be very unusual for police to even respond to a parking lot accident.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:42 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
This post simply highlights the need for having collision insurance on your own car. In these parking lot accidents, you can't always count on liability being determined in your favor, even when it should be. You can't count on the police investigating them either as some have pointed out.

It does sound like a comparatively minor accident. Its nothing anyone should be getting their panties in a bunch over. I think the OP is simply posting this for the purposes of illustrating an experience he had, rather than casting judgment. I would say in situations like this that you pay your insurance deductible and not expect your insurance company to get in a "slugfest" to defend your "rights". The critical thing is just getting your own car fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance