Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:57 PM

283 posts, read 349,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayr2go View Post
Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

nylonggamer, where did you research for these insurance companies etc.? online? any resource I could utilize? I'm in GA if that matters, and yes - I think the lady chose a $500 deductible although I wonder how much difference a $1000 would really make.
i wish i had one website that gave me a bunch of different quotes but i did each quote individually online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 03:59 PM

522 posts, read 721,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylonggamer View Post
i wish i had one website that gave me a bunch of different quotes but i did each quote individually online
i'd be weary of those sites, or even quotes.
After my exercises with with looking for the best coverage, I had insurance companies calling/emailing/snailmailing (one even stopped by my studio) for the next few months.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:32 PM

296 posts, read 438,875 times
Haha Foques - I know that is what they do if they have your details, specially your email. I have an email account specially for purposes such as these and I only access it when I need a service like this. No unwanted sales pitch in my personal inbox =D !

I suppose I'll have to do the search like nylonggamer did !!

Old 09-26-2014, 06:27 PM

283 posts, read 349,654 times
i do the same thing
they don't need my real phone number

Old 09-26-2014, 07:27 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Haha Foques - I know that is what they do if they have your details, specially your email. I have an email account specially for purposes such as these and I only access it when I need a service like this. No unwanted sales pitch in my personal inbox =D !

I suppose I'll have to do the search like nylonggamer did !!
Most insurance companies are going to be about the same price unless you have bad credit or are a high risk driver. Geico and Progressive absolutely did not want me as a driver when I was 18; I could get insurance with them, but not without paying $1600+/month.

A broker could help, but those websites, in my experience, just direct you to the ins. co. website where you have to fill out the info again and are a waste of time.

These are the big companies that I know of and they give you instant online quotes:

Liberty Mutual
Progressive - can be cheap, but not if you are under 21.
Geico - can be cheap
Allstate - expensive
Farmer's - cheap
State Farm - cheapish
Amica
Nationwide
Traveler's
Esurance - horrible and expensive. You will have to fight them on the value of your car. My friend had them once and they offered him $2000 less than every comparable car listed for sale. Their argument was they contacted the sellers in the market and asked what their bottom dollar was, but they would not hand him that paperwork. He ended up having to hire an appraiser for $150, waste 6 weeks, and go to arbitration before they eventually gave him more money.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:01 PM

thanks lycos679, these seem the big names they we mostly hear about. I wonder if there are other companies that could be the credit unions of the insurance industry and may be better with pricing. I'm sensing, however, that a majority of people are with one of these listed here.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:06 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
thanks lycos679, these seem the big names they we mostly hear about. I wonder if there are other companies that could be the credit unions of the insurance industry and may be better with pricing. I'm sensing, however, that a majority of people are with one of these listed here.
A broker that works with many companies could help you find those less well known companies - vs an agent that works for one or more of the above. My first policy was with a broker that the salesman referred me to and the policy was underwritten by ABC mutual (not the real name).

Old 09-26-2014, 09:14 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Risk factors are what they are wherever you go. The accident stats for 25-year-old drivers, for instance, are the same everywhere.

Companies count different factors more or less--for instance one company may count a long, accident free driving record for a 25-year-old in his favor, while another might not care. Good credit records also count with some companies and not with others.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Form a corporation, a few hundred in legal and filing fees. Plate and insure the car in your DBA, any employee can drive it with a legal drivers license. For a car that old, don't buy anything except the state legal minimum liability insurance.

(This is hypothetical, I don't know if it would really work or not, but worth exploring the concept.)

Old 09-27-2014, 10:59 AM

jtur88, are insurance premiums lower for corporations? Ultimately its an individual who drives the vehicle and not the company so I'm sure they'll ask for designated driver info and basically that would be just as good as having insurance under ur own name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance