Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 4,707 times

Advertisements

I had someone buy a car for me, and been trying to get the title transfer for a while, but he can't find the time. I had a accident and now I really want to transfer the title over to me so the check arrives to me. I lost trust in this guy, he took so long to give me letters from the insurance after he got them. I'm at the end of the process where I just gotta send the title to the insurance, after it it being in his name throughout the process, can I and should I transfer the title to my name, being at the end here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 08:21 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Go to DMV and pick up power of attorney paperwork. Have him give you POA to transfer title in your name without his presence.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 AM

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:34 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
So you registered a car without the title in hand? Or were you driving around with his plates on?

I'm just curious about this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Go to DMV and pick up power of attorney paperwork. Have him give you POA to transfer title in your name without his presence.
The guy will have sign the power of attorney paperwork in person. Why not just get the signed title at that time?

Old 02-26-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
So you registered a car without the title in hand? Or were you driving around with his plates on?

The guy will have sign the power of attorney paperwork in person. Why not just get the signed title at that time?

If he says that he never received the title what then. It sounds like the guy is being really shady. OP what was the reason you had him purchase the vehicle?

Old 02-26-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:

If he says that he never received the title what then. It sounds like the guy is being really shady. I wouldn't put its past him to say he never received the title. If he says he never has the time I would go to his house wait till he gets home and tell him to sign the title. If he says I don't have the title then ok here is the POA and sign a bill of sale . OP what was the reason you had him purchase the vehicle?

Old 02-26-2015, 05:33 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
So at the time of the accident, the title and insurance was in the name of another guy? Hate to say it, but you are screwed, the check has to go to the legal owner of the vehicle(the name on the title).

Old 03-12-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
So at the time of the accident, the title and insurance was in the name of another guy? Hate to say it, but you are screwed, the check has to go to the legal owner of the vehicle(the name on the title).
LOL that's why I changed the title to my name.. thus guy man, he seemed to want to just send it in his name, I thought no way, so you can run of with the check.. this guy had me waiting, didn't seem to care about handing me the letters anytime soon, I had to ask for them over and over until he finally searched for them

Old 03-12-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:

It was registered with plates.
To sign the title it has to be in front of a notary and be notarized.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If he says that he never received the title what then. It sounds like the guy is being really shady. I wouldn't put its past him to say he never received the title. If he says he never has the time I would go to his house wait till he gets home and tell him to sign the title. If he says I don't have the title then ok here is the POA and sign a bill of sale . OP what was the reason you had him purchase the vehicle?
What do you mean by OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance