Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:14 AM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Again, LKQ(used parts) are par the course. You have every right to use what ever shop you want for the repairs. The insurance company just isn't going to pay Lexus inflated rates/parts. Your car had an engine with xx number of miles on it. As long as they replace it with an engine with xx number of miles or less, from a vehicle no older then yours, you don't have a case. The engine your are quoting from Lexus is basically a brand new engine, and your vehicle did not have a brand new engine in it when it was flooded. If you use GEICO's recommended repair facility they should warranty the repair as long as you own the car.

A body part or an engine out of a wrecked car is an equal part, because it is "the same" as you had on your car before the wreck.

At this point you are lucky they are even thinking about an OEM engine, and not a Jasper(or equivalent) engine.
I never thought about it in an engine way before. I would agree a body part with xxx miles is generally equivalent, because the body shop will likely sand it all down, and repaint it, and it will be similar to the part that was on the car that got damaged. But how do you prove equivalent in an engine? If I change my oil with synthetic oil every 1000 miles, and only go on highway cruises with my car, but a similar engine was found that had oil changed with whatever was cheapest every 10,000 miles and spent time on the drag strip, how do we know they are equivalent without a complete tear-down of each? They might still be internally, but likely wouldn't be.

And what is Geico going to warranty? The whole motor for life? Or just the install? If they guarantee all motor repairs for life, that seems very reasonable. If a piston shoots through the oil pan in 15,000 miles, are they going to fix that for free? Probably nothing to do with the shop's work. Probably a lot to do with the condition of the used motor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 11:35 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
I never thought about it in an engine way before. I would agree a body part with xxx miles is generally equivalent, because the body shop will likely sand it all down, and repaint it, and it will be similar to the part that was on the car that got damaged. But how do you prove equivalent in an engine? If I change my oil with synthetic oil every 1000 miles, and only go on highway cruises with my car, but a similar engine was found that had oil changed with whatever was cheapest every 10,000 miles and spent time on the drag strip, how do we know they are equivalent without a complete tear-down of each? They might still be internally, but likely wouldn't be.

And what is Geico going to warranty? The whole motor for life? Or just the install? If they guarantee all motor repairs for life, that seems very reasonable. If a piston shoots through the oil pan in 15,000 miles, are they going to fix that for free? Probably nothing to do with the shop's work. Probably a lot to do with the condition of the used motor.
The insurance company would describe it as one with less miles, from a car no older then yours. Could not tell you what Geico would warranty, I did not work for them. The company I worked for covered the entire repair, parts and labor as long as you owned the car, assuming you used one of their DRP's. Like I said in my 1st post, I am shocked they are fighting it so much with it being a flood car.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:20 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Apparently GEICO can afford all those adds by not paying claims. Hire an attorney and try and get them to total the car. Flood damaged cars have a lot more damage then just a broken engine. Electrical systems and gears do not like to get wet either. In reality your car is not worth much more then its scrap value.
I agree with your post here in Florida we had lots of rain and many cars are flood damaged. Most insurance companys have just totaled the car since there could be wany more problems rust etc. One question asked could the car be resold the answer yes but the title needs to say salvage. I am not sure any attorney would want this case either.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:44 PM

343 posts, read 614,687 times
OP here, just to give an update to close this out.

We give in to the insurance agent (just want to get this done with), and the lexus was towed to a toyota dealer to have the engine replaced. After opening up the car and replacing the engine, the shop informed us the battery system also needs to be replaced, once that was done, they informed us again the computer chip is also bad and needs to be special ordered and replaced.

All in the repair took 4 weeks, and total cost was $11k+. The shop seems to have done a good job but who really knows. When we went to pick up the car, we asked the dealer if they want to buy it since they have a huge used car business, we were told no since the car was flooded, not even a low ball offer.

They also told us the insurance agent is **** stupid to paraphrase, to try to repair this type of damage instead of just cutting us a check.

Cherry on top is when i paid to generate a carfax report on my lexus vin, it shows up as spot clean with no flooding or damage records.

What a messed up process, i am going to get rid of this ticking time bomb asap as part of a trade in for a new car.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:01 PM

291 posts, read 397,519 times
^ Glad to hear it's fixed, but yes, lots of uncertainties there

What insurance co do you have?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:00 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
I think it will show up on an insurance report which is used by all insurance companies. Too bad they just did not cut you a check.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:00 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
It may show up later on insurance reports and if you sell it without revealing the problems and situation you could be in for some legal troubles.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
It may show up later on insurance reports and if you sell it without revealing the problems and situation you could be in for some legal troubles.
Yes, the carfax report is not updated instantly. You could trade it as soon as possible, you don't have to disclose anything to a dealer, it's up to them to evaluate the condition. If it does show up as flooded later they may come after you for part of the trade-in value they gave you, however, so it's a gamble.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:18 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Apparently GEICO can afford all those adds by not paying claims. Hire an attorney and try and get them to total the car. Flood damaged cars have a lot more damage then just a broken engine. Electrical systems and gears do not like to get wet either. In reality your car is not worth much more then its scrap value.

I read post after post - of where can I get less expensive insurance.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:42 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
2008 Lexus is still almost 8 years old......I would have taken the repair money and ran!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance