Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 05:07 PM

6 posts, read 4,727 times

Advertisements

for a policy being written in Pennsylvania --

Can anyone tell me whether this is legal - and if legal, if common industry practice. I am seeking new auto and homeowner insurance and got a reasonable quote from an agent today with a certain well rated company. I agreed to buy policies but because the homeowners policy will not be effective (it's not due to renew) until the end of August, we agreed we would also make the auto insurance effective on that same August date. As we were winding down our phone call, he told me he would need a credit card today for the auto insurance in order to lock in the premium rate, or else I would risk having it possibly increase between now and the end of August, even though I'm signing paperwork commiting to the auto and homeowner policies now. I'm pretty sure I've never encountered this before. In other instances, agents have written policies with effective dates several months out, but I am pretty certain I did not have to make payment immediately. Is this something new? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 01:43 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Sounds like your agent used to sell cars. Doesn't make any sense to pay now. If the rates could go up by waiting - tell him that's a risk you're willing to take.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:56 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,737 times
The policy he writes is only valid on paper if it's paid. I have had some agents that require some payment upfront to "lock" in the quote. Others give you 30 days to pay it. Either way, payment need to be received before the effective date you are asking for.

If you don't feel comfortable about giving that information, try somewhere else. I had a situation where a agent tells me I have to provide 3rd party information (my flood insurance) in order to buy their home insurance quote. I told them it's not their business to know, it's between me and my lender, and I'm keeping my home and flood carriers separate. They still refused to sell me the quote. That ended up better for me because I found a much cheaper quote with Liberty Mutual for less than half the $$ and they never once asked about my flood insurance.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:52 PM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times
We are billed every 6 months. We asked about paying in advance and were told no. So, months out won't work with Allstate. Premiums can change, car could be damaged by falling tree middle of the night, etc.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:29 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesmom09 View Post

Can anyone tell me whether this is legal - and if legal, if common industry practice. I am seeking new auto and homeowner insurance and got a reasonable quote from an agent today with a certain well rated company. I agreed to buy policies but because the homeowners policy will not be effective (it's not due to renew) until the end of August, we agreed we would also make the auto insurance effective on that same August date. As we were winding down our phone call, he told me he would need a credit card today for the auto insurance in order to lock in the premium rate, or else I would risk having it possibly increase between now and the end of August, even though I'm signing paperwork commiting to the auto and homeowner policies now. I'm pretty sure I've never encountered this before. In other instances, agents have written policies with effective dates several months out, but I am pretty certain I did not have to make payment immediately. Is this something new? Thank you.
I'm not an agent in PA, but an agent none the less. I was a captive at Farmers for 10 years and have been independent for 2. I know of no company that has required payment to obtain the advance purchase discount. This should be keyed off of the quote and effective dates, not the payment date. Just my penny.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:11 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesmom09 View Post

You don't have to wait until your homeowner's is set to renew. Just start the new policies today and you will get a small refund from your old homeowner's policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance