Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 11:59 PM

88 posts, read 149,154 times

Advertisements

My car was hit by a young woman who was tracing another car on the road about 2 months ago. She hit my car at the front from the left side because she was trying to cut across in front of my car in order to trace another car. Since then, my car started shaking whenever it was running. Everybody inside the car could feel it. This shaking has been getting worse after the accident. Also, the car would automatically turn to the right even the steering wheel was positioned along the center line.
I requested the woman's insurance company to fix this problem. They only had the superficial problems fixed, eg. the damage on the shell. When I requested them to fix the shaking and automatic turning problems, they said that the problems were caused by some old worn parts at the front suspension according to their assessor. They refused to fix the problems.
I didn't have any problem with my before the accident. My life is at risk now while driving this car.

If the car was not fixed properly, I have to claim it as a scrape car. I was the victim in the car accident and now I am going to lose a car because of the insurance company's shamelessness.

What shoud I do now? Whom or where can I send a complaint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 12:06 AM

18,812 posts, read 32,244,322 times
You should be working with your own insurance company, who would go after them for you. I'm guessing you're trying to do this deal without your insurance company being involved, because you're afraid your rates will go up. But, this is what your insurance company is for. So call them up.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:38 AM

620 posts, read 634,169 times
Curious ... what is "tracing another car"?

I agree with NoMoreSnow ... go through your insurance company.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:19 PM

88 posts, read 149,154 times
I have told my insurance company from the beginning. Now they suggested me to get an appraisal from another assessor.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:38 PM

13,040 posts, read 20,693,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerbreezing View Post
I have told my insurance company from the beginning. Now they suggested me to get an appraisal from another assessor.
Did you actually file a claim with your insurance company and are they the ones you are dealing with for repairs and payment? OR, did you just tell them but you are actually dealing with the other persons insurance company directly? If you filed with your insurance company, you should be dealing only with your insurance company and nobody else. It sounds like you may have told your insurance company but went to the other person's insurance company for the claim; big mistake.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:46 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Fix the problem and then sue the lady who hit you. Works almost every time.

And you should not let anyone fix your car unless you are happy with the terms and conditions..

Old 10-17-2015, 07:07 AM

14,354 posts, read 20,424,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerbreezing View Post
My car was hit by a young woman who was tracing another car on the road about 2 months ago. She hit my car at the front from the left side because she was trying to cut across in front of my car in order to trace another car. Since then, my car started shaking whenever it was running. Everybody inside the car could feel it. This shaking has been getting worse after the accident. Also, the car would automatically turn to the right even the steering wheel was positioned along the center line.
I requested the woman's insurance company to fix this problem. They only had the superficial problems fixed, eg. the damage on the shell. When I requested them to fix the shaking and automatic turning problems, they said that the problems were caused by some old worn parts at the front suspension according to their assessor. They refused to fix the problems.
I didn't have any problem with my before the accident. My life is at risk now while driving this car.

If the car was not fixed properly, I have to claim it as a scrape car. I was the victim in the car accident and now I am going to lose a car because of the insurance company's shamelessness.

What shoud I do now? Whom or where can I send a complaint?
You did not mention the cost to repair, whether it was able to be driven from the scene, whether you asked for a check vs. getting it fixed, or any injuries or medical bills.

It is easy for them to refuse more if you have already cashed the check they gave you or the damages.

Next time this happens and I know it may not be able to help you now, but you should have done these things.
a. exchanged driver's license numbers and insurance which I assume you did.
b. gone to at least three independent shops for estimates.
c. if the car was able to be driven let the mechanic drive it for a test drive to detect and non body damage issues. If not able to be driven it should have been toward to a mechanic. They could inspect the underside.
d. what was the amount of the property damage?
e. no injuries?

Never go only with estimates or damage inspections made by the person who represents the other driver's insurance company. Get your own and take the average as to what you should be given.

You could have gotten a check for the damage and not cashed the check until after you got the car repaired if you could afford it. By not cashing the check the claim was still open. I know this because someone backed into our vehicle and they sent us a small check and said "when you cash it you are accepting the settlement" (and basically releasing them from further liability).

If you had the check in hand then do what you could to get the care repaired well enough to drive it. Then you'd discovered the "other" problems, and by not cashing the check the claim was still open.

If you had injuries and medical bills over $5000 then you can sue the other driver for damages. Our property damage was nearly $6000 and was totaled but still able to be driven.

Have someone put your car on the rack and check the underside and suspension. Consider selling it as is with the alignment issues noted to the buyer. When the wheels are parallel to the center line and you lightly let go of the steering wheel and the car will veer to the right that can be alignment or a bad tire or some other unknown issue.
---------------------
We have a injury case and need opinions from a lawyer here on the forum and thus far no one wants to help as we proceed through the claim. We learn as we go and still hope for opinions on ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance