Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 04:37 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,345,072 times

Advertisements

I'm not seeing on the California DMV site any helpful information. We as a family have two collector cars in California in mom's name, and just put them on non=operational status. Mom's drivers license was allowed to expire last month. My bro. is telling me we need a legit California drivers license to insure for driving on the road. (His idea was to register the cars in his name in another state; right).

We are all originally California drivers decades ago, but the DMV can't find our numbers, and I'm out of the country. These are both 1970 collector cars, and as they are Calif. originals with smog clearance and original equipment I think it's good we keep them that way. For service and detailing, with eventual sale as good runners, it would be nice to be able to drive them for a few months during renovation and detail trips.

Is there anyway in California that that can be done??? We three are all in possession of legit drivers licenses but out of the country. I'm on the title as lien holder to make sure nothing goes sideways while we're not done there.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 03:10 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,836,901 times
Check with the collector car insurance companies; Grundy, American Collectors, Hagerty, and see what they say. That is the way I would insure them especially if they are collector cars that are not driven. I will be going that route with my Mustang once I get it back on the road.

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Check with the collector car insurance companies; Grundy, American Collectors, Hagerty, and see what they say. That is the way I would insure them especially if they are collector cars that are not driven. I will be going that route with my Mustang once I get it back on the road.

Good luck!
AAA has collector car insurance. I know the rules are different now; in Wash. state you can have an individual cover himself for any car he drives; we don't even have that as an option in BC. But for collector cars you'd think you'd have choices.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:40 AM

42,724 posts, read 25,896,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
I'm not seeing on the California DMV site any helpful information. We as a family have two collector cars in California in mom's name, and just put them on non=operational status. Mom's drivers license was allowed to expire last month. My bro. is telling me we need a legit California drivers license to insure for driving on the road. (His idea was to register the cars in his name in another state; right).

We are all originally California drivers decades ago, but the DMV can't find our numbers, and I'm out of the country. These are both 1970 collector cars, and as they are Calif. originals with smog clearance and original equipment I think it's good we keep them that way. For service and detailing, with eventual sale as good runners, it would be nice to be able to drive them for a few months during renovation and detail trips.

Is there anyway in California that that can be done??? We three are all in possession of legit drivers licenses but out of the country. I'm on the title as lien holder to make sure nothing goes sideways while we're not done there.
Thanks in advance.
It's up to your insurance company. We moved from Nevada to California last year. When we notified our insurance company that we had moved they said that since our residence was now in California they would cancel us if we didn't get California driver's licenses (we had already registered the cars in California). They gave me some convoluted answer that made absolutely no sense but since we were already planning to get California driver's licenses we just pushed that up a few days. Perhaps different companies have different rules...I don't know. I don't think DMV cares though.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:50 AM

30,133 posts, read 23,520,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post

Thanks in advance.
Don't know about out of country, but I got insurance with my Maine driver's license because you can't register the vehicle until you get the insurance. Why would I make two trips to the DMV? (One for the registration, one for the license.) There were zero problems with it. I simply stated that I just moved, here's the current address, here's my vehicle info, and within minutes, I had insurance in the new state while still holding a Maine driver's license.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:35 AM

Thank you, Three Wolves in the Snow; I suspected as much.

The cars are and remain registered as NOP's (non operational) California cars. We just received a letter from DMV on one car NOP screwed up somehow, and have pulled the cancelled checks to show when my bro. is down there in two weeks.

The other "bro" wanted control of the cars, hence his "answers" amazingly always seem to benefit him. Suspect "vindictive narcissist" and I changed the kids diapers back in the day! (thanks, bro)

The car aren't really worth much, but they're dad's last restorations and a hoot to drive. We're hoping to find them good homes in the next little while, and pad mom's bank account a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance