Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 05:54 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times

Advertisements

I own several vehicles. My son drives one. He is 21. Cars are titled in my name. In the past 2 years, he's had two minor accidents: one no-fault. But a week ago he rear-ended someone so it's definitely going to be his fault. Minor payouts (under $5000 for each of them). There are 5 of us on my policy. He's the only with anything (no other accidents or tickets).

I have no idea how this is going to affect my insurance. The agent told me to wait until renewal which is in May. I'm really worried about this.

I'm considering dropping him from my insurance, giving him my car to title in his name and having him get his own policy.

But will that really help me?

I don't think he's a bad driver. I've driven with him, he's had defensive driving, he's a good kid. The at-fault accident was b/c he rear-ended a driver who slammed on her breaks (she apparently wanted to exit) in the middle of the lane on a highway bridge (no shoulder) where speeds are 65, My mechanic is guessing he hit her at about 5-10 mph.

Ugghhhh, anyone have any thoughts or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 06:04 PM

846 posts, read 1,880,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I own several vehicles. My son drives one. He is 21. Cars are titled in my name. In the past 2 years, he's had two minor accidents: one no-fault. But a week ago he rear-ended someone so it's definitely going to be his fault. Minor payouts (under $5000 for each of them). There are 5 of us on my policy. He's the only with anything (no other accidents or tickets).

I have no idea how this is going to affect my insurance. The agent told me to wait until renewal which is in May. I'm really worried about this.

I'm considering dropping him from my insurance, giving him my car to title in his name and having him get his own policy.

But will that really help me?

I don't think he's a bad driver. I've driven with him, he's had defensive driving, he's a good kid. The at-fault accident was b/c he rear-ended a driver who slammed on her breaks (she apparently wanted to exit) in the middle of the lane on a highway bridge (no shoulder) where speeds are 65, My mechanic is guessing he hit her at about 5-10 mph.

Ugghhhh, anyone have any thoughts or advice?
if he's still in your household...you'll have to exclude him on each car...which means there is absolutely NO COVERAGE if he is driving one of YOUR vehicles.

This is providing they even keep you...sounds like a good case for a non renewal...you should really shop before May. GLTY.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post
if he's still in your household...you'll have to exclude him on each car...which means there is absolutely NO COVERAGE if he is driving one of YOUR vehicles.

This is providing they even keep you...sounds like a good case for a non renewal...you should really shop before May. GLTY.
Yeah, I guess that's what I was worried about: the rest of us being dropped because of claims related to him. THe rest of us have absolutely nothing in the past 20 + years we've been driving.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:29 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
He's 21 get him off your policy and out of the nest.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The last time I checked, any licensed driver in the house affects the rate regardless of whose name is on the cars, because there is no way to ensure that he doesn't take your car. He would have to move out and put the car and insurance in his own name to save on your policy.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:49 PM

Just in case anyone was wondering, my agent said we're gonna be charged a surcharge (they have a crazy convulted schedule that was very confusing) but shouldn't be considered non-renewable. However, to take him off my policy, I'd have to exclude him from my vehicles---he could not drive any of my cars. At that point, I'd title one of the cars in his name and he could get his own insurance and drive that vehicle since it would no longer be on my policy. I already got a quote from a few companies (of course told them the history) and it's actually not as bad as I thought. He'd be okay.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:53 PM

[quote=notnamed;42203398]He's 21 get him off your policy and out of the nest.[/QUOTE

He's 21, works f/t, is finishing up his degree, has $0 debt (he paid for school on his own) AND has enough saved up for a downpayment on a house--not kidding. Oh, and he contributes to our household expenses and helps me care for his elderly grandma. Yeah, this kid's a keeper. He can stay in this nest as long as he wants.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:52 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post

I doubt that...

There is no reason they wouldn't keep him over a very minor accident and one where he wasn't at fault.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:14 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I'm not an insurance professional, but I can give you my personal experience. When my son was about to turn 16 and get a drivers license, we also had a lot of cars in the household -- sports car for summer use, sports sedan for trips, antique for parades, a couple 4x4s. My State Farm agent suggested that we get one more car, an old beater, and put it in my son's name. He said my son wouldn't even have to drive it, but if it was registered and insured (minimum liability) in his name he could continue to "occasionally" drive any of our other cars without much penalty, whereas if he didn't have a car in his name our insurance rate would go up considerably.

We got a basket-case VW Bug from my wife's secretary, but once I saw it I proclaimed it unsafe for use. It spent 18 months in our garage being restored and, shortly after completion, was replaced with a new car as a graduation gift.

Oh yeah, and when my son got his first ticket (exhibition of acceleration in his mom's Porsche), our long-time SF agent suggested that I switch insurance companies to one that wasn't so quick to drop a customer because of a couple tickets. I went to a friend who was an independent agent and let him pick the one he thought was best for us BEFORE we had a cancelled policy to deal with.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'm not an insurance professional, but I can give you my personal experience. When my son was about to turn 16 and get a drivers license, we also had a lot of cars in the household -- sports car for summer use, sports sedan for trips, antique for parades, a couple 4x4s. My State Farm agent suggested that we get one more car, an old beater, and put it in my son's name. He said my son wouldn't even have to drive it, but if it was registered and insured (minimum liability) in his name he could continue to "occasionally" drive any of our other cars without much penalty, whereas if he didn't have a car in his name our insurance rate would go up considerably.

We got a basket-case VW Bug from my wife's secretary, but once I saw it I proclaimed it unsafe for use. It spent 18 months in our garage being restored and, shortly after completion, was replaced with a new car as a graduation gift.

Oh yeah, and when my son got his first ticket (exhibition of acceleration in his mom's Porsche), our long-time SF agent suggested that I switch insurance companies to one that wasn't so quick to drop a customer because of a couple tickets. I went to a friend who was an independent agent and let him pick the one he thought was best for us BEFORE we had a cancelled policy to deal with.
Okay, this is what I actually what I was planning to do. I think at this point, I'll go ahead and talk to an independent agent then. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance