Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 12:55 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
I have gotten estimate from one auto body shop. He told me it is better to have full repair (sand the whole bumper then paint again), which costs about $500. Spot repair may cost less than $200.

He said one year from now, I can see the difference from spot repair. So he recommended full repair since he said my car is new.

Any comments? I feel it is somewhat expensive... Maybe I will need to go to a few more auto body shops for estimate.
Impossibly to say, but it sounds like you're doing ok...No point in going through your insurance, as it is equal or less than a deductible.

Price sounds about in line with my experience with Body Shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 01:04 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
The picture is horrible, but if there is no dent and it's just excess paint from the car that hit you then it should buff right out with a high speed polisher and about $1 worth of compound. I'll do it for you for free in 15 min if you live near me.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:05 PM

806 posts, read 958,836 times
Repair it with a touch-up paint and don't report.

I had a blonde bimbo dent my car in the parking lot and had to pay out of pocket also. I still don't know how that idiot could've possibly dented it there.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:35 PM

2,323 posts, read 2,178,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Since you don't have proof that someone else hit the car, the damage would only be covered under your Collision coverage which has a $1,000 deductible, and it would go against your policy. As far as the insurance knows, you could have hit something yourself and might be trying to claim it under cheaper coverage. Like was mentioned, the only way to avoid paying for it yourself is if you can find out what car hit it and try to collect from their insurance.

I've had two bumper repairs done, removing, painting and replacing the bumper, and they both ran between $400-600. Luckily the people that hit it, paid me for the damage out of pocket. Since that repair is most likely less than your deductible, I would just pay it and not involve insurance. Even if you ended up with a new bumper (not likely) it would still be under your deductible.

Good luck!
I don't think they give me a new bumper, they said they are going to take bump off, then sand and paint it again. It is still the same bumper.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:41 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Since you don't have proof that someone else hit the car, the damage would only be covered under your Collision coverage which has a $1,000 deductible, and it would go against your policy. As far as the insurance knows, you could have hit something yourself and might be trying to claim it under cheaper coverage. Like was mentioned, the only way to avoid paying for it yourself is if you can find out what car hit it and try to collect from their insurance.

I've had two bumper repairs done, removing, painting and replacing the bumper, and they both ran between $400-600. Luckily the people that hit it, paid me for the damage out of pocket. Since that repair is most likely less than your deductible, I would just pay it and not involve insurance. Even if you ended up with a new bumper (not likely) it would still be under your deductible.

Good luck!
I don't think they give me a new bumper, they said they are going to take bump off, then sand and paint it again. It is still the same bumper.
Sorry, I didn't mean you could get a new bumper for $400-600, but that the cost included removing, repairing, repainting and replacing the original bumper on the car. A new bumper would be an additional $200-400 or so, depending on the car. As long as the bumper is not torn or badly deformed, it can be repaired. Your estimate of $500 is right in line for a good job from a competent shop repainting the entire bumper.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:18 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
This is the typical. Many of your body shops like to try to repair before replace. They make more money that way. Also see if they would work with you on the price with who your insurance company is. Also if they are a corporate body shop, check online to see if they have any coupons. You want to make sure they have a warranty also.

Quote:
Thanks.

What do you mean "looking at less than your deductible"?
That it may be under your deductible.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:30 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
It's a little hard to tell the extent of the damage, but if it takes more than just buffing it out and using a little touch-up paint I would just leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance