Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 06:18 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
From https://www.progressive.com/about/history/

"In 1956, Progressive Casualty Company was formed to write auto insurance for high-risk drivers."

That's right, folks—at one point Progressive wrote ONLY non-standard policies. And Progressive still does write to the non-standard market. Let's compare Kemper Auto, State Auto, Progressive, and Travelers in terms of non-standard auto practices:

Kemper Auto:
SR-22? Yes
Lapsed insurance? Yes
Suspended licenses? Yes
Reckless drivers? Yes
Fleeing the police? Yes
DUIs? Yes
Foreign licenses? Yes
Bad credit? Yes
2+ Accidents? Yes
2+ Tickets? Yes

Progressive:
SR-22? Yes
Lapsed insurance? Yes
Suspended licenses? Yes
Reckless drivers? Yes
Fleeing the police? Yes
DUIs? Yes
Foreign Licenses? No
Bad Credit? Yes
2+ Accidents? Sometimes
2+ Tickets? Sometimes

State Auto:
SR-22? No.
Lapsed insurance? Yes
Suspended licenses? No.
Reckless Drivers? Sometimes
Fleeing the police? No.
DUIs? Sometimes
Foreign Licenses? Yes
Bad credit? Yes
2+ accidents? Sometimes
2+ tickets? Yes

Travelers:
SR-22? No
Lapsed insurance? No.
Suspended licenses? No.
Reckless drivers? No.
Fleeing the police? No.
DUIs? No.
Foreign licenses? No.
Bad credit: Sometimes
2+ Accidents? Sometimes
2+ Tickets? Sometimes

That would be "Within the past three years," correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 10:15 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
We don't write state minimum coverage! It's not the market we want to be in. I suppose it's better than nothing, but a responsible individual would and should have more coverage.

Also, Progressive is NOT a non-standard company. It's actually one of the largest insurance carriers in the country and is considered a standard carrier. The fact they will take almost anyone is because they are large enough to accept to risk. Of course, they will rate the heck out of you if your record is not considered good or if you need an SR22, but they will insure you!
How much difference in premium is there between writing state minimum coverage and let's say a 100/300 policy that would cover liability, uim, and um? Is the difference more than $20 a month? Are people really unable to afford decent coverage? Frankly, I'm skeptical. I know in my own case there is not much difference between minimum limits and a real insurance policy.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:39 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
How much difference in premium is there between writing state minimum coverage and let's say a 100/300 policy that would cover liability, uim, and um? Is the difference more than $20 a month? Are people really unable to afford decent coverage? Frankly, I'm skeptical. I know in my own case there is not much difference between minimum limits and a real insurance policy.
Actually I have seen the opposite where "good insurance companies" give lower premiums for higher liability limits. Meaning one could get a better rate with 100/300 coverage than with state minimums. Insurance companies feel people who want only state minimums are irresponsible. Now going from the standard 100/300 coverage to say 250/500 is different, yet still not an outrageous difference.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:41 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Most insurance carriers go back 5 years, however there are a few that go back only 3 years on tickets and violations, but accidents are typically 5 years.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Most insurance carriers go back 5 years, however there are a few that go back only 3 years on tickets and violations, but accidents are typically 5 years.

Ahhh okay, sweet.

I had my own insurance once, a looooooooooong time ago. (I've had my share of impounded cars!) I remember once I think in "2006" (?) that an insurance person let me know, or asked me, if I had accident "Within three years.." Maybe it was 2004, as I once stupidly did get in one with Mom's car (I was 19, I don't believe I have ever gotten in another accident.) And something about it was like that week or two or three days or something that it was outside of the "three years."

I'm probably not getting my own insurance anytime soon, I'm just fine driving someone else's (registered and insured) car, thanks, whatever thoughts are on that, save it, that's how I'm doing it.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:09 AM

311 posts, read 194,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
I believe that Kemper goes back 5 years whereas State Auto is 5 on accidents and 3 on tickets. I'm not sure how far back Progressive goes. Gainsco only goes back 3. Travelers goes back 5.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:28 AM

311 posts, read 194,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Let's take a real case. I won't give many details because I don't want to compromise the person's identity, but his insurance just lapsed -- he couldn't pay. He was with State Auto.

I just ran a requote scenario. Progressive is his best fit.

The car is a 2018. He has:

DUI 2014
Speeding 2018
Open Container Violation 2018
Accident 2018 (x2 same date … could be duplicate).
Improper Passing (same date as accident).

Proposed Insurance:
25/65/15 with $1,000 comp and collision
Down Payment: $923.70 (30% down)

Alternate Quote:
100/300/100 with $1,000 comp and collision
Down Payment: $1,134.60 (30% down)

So for this guy, switching to 100/300/100 is an extra $210.90 just on the down payment. He won't pay this. He couldn't pay his State Auto insurance, which was $283 a month. Now that he's lapsed, State Auto won't take him back, and I don't blame them.

This guy is out on the street in his new car, speeding, with an open beer in the car, improperly passing, and getting into accidents.

And now he's uninsured, and the vehicle is financed. So let's be careful out there.
------------------
Edit: His license is suspended now too.

Last edited by Zosimus; 11-16-2018 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 03:13 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Let's take a real case. I won't give many details because I don't want to compromise the person's identity, but his insurance just lapsed -- he couldn't pay. He was with State Auto.

DUI 2014
Speeding 2018

Proposed Insurance:

Alternate Quote:

So for this guy, switching to 100/300/100 is an extra $210.90 just on the down payment. He won't pay this. He couldn't pay his State Auto insurance, which was $283 a month. Now that he's lapsed, State Auto won't take him back, and I don't blame them.

This guy is out on the street in his new car, speeding, with an open beer in the car, improperly passing, and getting into accidents.

And now he's uninsured, and the vehicle is financed. So let's be careful out there.
------------------
What does the down payment cover? Four months insurance?

You're also quoting a very high risk driver. I'm thinking more in terms of average drivers. Figure maybe one moving violation (not DUI) over a three year period.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:

DUI 2014
Speeding 2018

Proposed Insurance:

Alternate Quote:

------------------

Thank God I've never had a DUI, and never will.

We, that have had licenses suspended (can be suspended for Child Support, no relation to driving...........) ... are always thankful that they can be reinstated.

Moving violations? Haven't had any of those in awhile.

Accidents? Again.. Past the age where they look, I was young and stupid once.

New Jersey is odd.. Points (I think they call them "Insurance Surcharge" points, different than "Insurance Eligibility" points? I do not know) DO fall off at 3 per year, but if your license is suspended then NOTHING happens with it until it is "restored." Most odd.

*Zosimus: I'll bet your Anonymous client (who is not savvy enough to read here and know it's him being quoted, in a scenario almost like or similar to his) is paying on just the car now, and had Insurance for just long enough to do the deal on the car, now is just hoping to not get caught... yes?

Old 11-18-2018, 04:03 PM

I have to say... I am not to this point yet, and I am still fine driving other's perfectly insured cars, and it will probably be like a solid decade in when I can even APPROACH Insurance, whoa, BUT... If there were *reasonable* rates of insurance, then I could see myself having it, if I could comfortably swing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance