Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 AM

285 posts, read 262,325 times

Advertisements

I am play-shopping for a car and just looking, getting a feel for things. I know that leased cars require full coverage, which is why I will not be leasing one for quite some time, but don't know if I will for cars bought through a loan.

Like lets say I got a loan from my bank (for example). Lets just say the loan is for $10k. If I bought a car from a dealership with said money, will that car need to have full coverage because it was bought with loaned money?

I might sound stupid to some people reading this but this will only be my second time buying a car and I really don't want to make mistakes. I am actually confused and the last thing I can afford is full coverage as prices for state minimum, for me, are already high.

And with the loan, is that even smart? Going through my personal bank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 10:52 AM

45,371 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Any vehicle for which you borrow money to buy, and is the collateral for the loan, requires full coverage. The only exception might be if you get a non-directed personal loan (such as a sight loan from a credit union).

Old 07-07-2016, 12:39 PM

132 posts, read 153,915 times
If it is a personal loan, also called a signature loan, then no you are not required to have full coverage. Although with a new car it would be dumb not to if you cannot afford to buy another one with cash.

The downside to doing this is that the interest rate will generally be higher on a personal loan because there is no collateral. You might end up paying more per month on a personal loan than you would on an auto loan because of the difference in interest rates.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:30 PM

11 posts, read 15,885 times
A loan will require comp and collision because until you pay it off, it is theirs and they want to ensure if something happens to it they get their money back? also, they typically won't allow you to go with a deductible over $1000. A loan from private and personal banks will usually require you to add the vehicle and need to see proof that they're listed as lei holder before okay in the deal.

The difference between coverages for leasing and a loan are the most leasing co will require bodily injury limits at 100/300 and property damage limits at 50 depending where you live.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:27 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Any vehicle for which you borrow money to buy, and is the collateral for the loan, requires full coverage. The only exception might be if you get a non-directed personal loan (such as a sight loan from a credit union).
I'm no banker, but you would probably have to have 100k in the bank and perfect credit to get a personal loan for 10K. The want collateral.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:28 PM

45,371 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I'm no banker, but you would probably have to have 100k in the bank and perfect credit to get a personal loan for 10K. The want collateral.

No. Credit unions especially have what are called signature or sight loans that usually require little to no collateral or co-signers.

Of course, you can't just walk in off the street and get one, you need some sort of history with the institution and decent credit history.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:59 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,878 times
Unless you have cash lying around to fix the car if you get into an accident and to pay the balance of the loan if it gets totaled, I would get full coverage insurance.
Both of our vehicles that we currently drive are paid in full and we still carry full coverage on them. Going to liability is not an option for us on our daily drivers.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:56 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post

I might sound stupid to some people reading this but this will only be my second time buying a car and I really don't want to make mistakes. I am actually confused and the last thing I can afford is full coverage as prices for state minimum, for me, are already high.
You want a $10,000 to buy a car but you don't have enough money for car insurance?

Do you comprehend what you are stating?

Maybe time to rethink this and get a much less expensive car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance