Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 10:50 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

So to access the highway it's an uphill on ramp and also an off ramp. Usually I merge once there is room. So a car is coming merges to the left lane oh great I have room to merge on. Merge on and pick my speed up to the speed limit. All of the sudden the car that merged to the left appears in front of me sideways to cut into my lane I am in and into the off ramp no signal. Just a second and speed played a factor in this not be a nasty accident.

Question is if I did hit the car who would be at fault?

Second question this will be strange. After the person did this I was furious honked my horn, hit my steering wheel, gave the driver the bird as I continued to drive (5 seconds in all.) The weird part was there was a car on the left lane, I am in the right lane, that stayed in the lane just near my bumper for 6 to 8 exits. Then eventually sped up and dissappeared after that. It was very strange. Any clue what that was about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 09:13 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Person getting on yields to the one getting off.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Person getting on yields to the one getting off.
Which I do, but this person moved over to the left lane opening the right lane up. Then all the sudden just crossed over 2 lanes with no signal.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:32 AM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Which I do, but this person moved over to the left lane opening the right lane up. Then all the sudden just crossed over 2 lanes with no signal.
That car may have assumed that they were far enough in front of you to be able to move into your lane in front of you. If there was an accident there might no any evidence whether their signal to merge over was activated. It could be your word vs. theirs on the signal. I doubt any of the other cars on this highway would have stopped to become a witness unless it was a very bad wreck.

If I understand the details if the car had forced you off the side of the road, then multiple factors can be present. Were they speeding? Were you going too slow than the minimum allowed? Since they sped away after the incident, that implies to me that they cut in front of you because they (THEY not me) did not think you were going fast enough to be able to merge properly and they moved over to the left lane because you forced them too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
In general for anyone......

Merging into 60 mph traffic requires people to be near the same speed as the cars on the highway.
It's a wreck waiting to happen if someone tries to come off the exit ramp going too slow such as 40 mph.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:11 PM

Way it was is they are in the middle lane you slow down let them pass move in when the lane is clear. They moved over I move in then as I move in they move over from the left into the right and onto the exit ramp/on ramp. Thankfully nothing did happen would of been bad would of hit their car. I literally was an inch away from their left rear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance