Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2016, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 851 times

Advertisements

I live in Michigan. I found out my wheel rim had a small crack from a pothole, and the dealership said my insurance probably will cover that since it wasn't my fault. I'll find out Monday when the insurance adjuster can look at it. But, they also pointed out a dent in my bumper that is a complete mystery to me. I know for sure I didn't back into anything to cause it. The dealership repair shop manager said to tell the insurance company the bumper was damaged as well as the wheel, so I told the insurance company about both being damanged. I don't think the insurance adjuster is going to believe the bumper dent was related, and especially since the dent is 4 feet away from the wheel! Would it be better to tell them the bumper dent happened in a parking lot? I don't know if it was the pothole or a parking lot, but it happened somehow, and I thought insurance covered things that were out of my control? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 05:40 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I once came out of work to a fractured front bumper. It had to be one of the many oversized trucks that pull in and out of that facility.

I turned it in, insurance accepted my claim. All I could tell them was what I knew, it wasn't like that when I went to work.

I wouldn't try to explain that dent, as you really can't. I think it is acceptable to say that it was noticed when the car folks were looking at the cracked wheel...and it's the truth.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:50 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Sounds like two seperate claims, with two seperate deductibles. One possibly being at fault. Hitting a stationary object in the road (a pothole) is an at fault collision

The dent could be classified as a hit and run covered under umpd if you carry it. Otherwise it would be collision not at fault.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:07 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,901 times
Depending on how much it cost to repair, I'd be tempted to keep shtum and avoid putting in a claim altogether.

It may make more sense to pay out of pocket for the repairs.

Besides incurring deductibles, multiple claims can cause premiums to rise and/or force cancellation with some carriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance