Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,763 times

Advertisements

In a car accident- i was the victim( back injury)- police report states not my fault.
If the other persons insurance pays out the max and it is not enough does it then go through your insurance?
Shouldn't the person who caused the damaged be sued?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 10:58 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
That's up to you. If the other insurance company refuses to pay your medical bills in an accident that wasn't your fault, you should consult an attorney.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,763 times
i do have an attorney. i have never been through anything like this.
Their insurance company may pay the max, but they then want to file a claim through my insurance for what they think should be paid. i wasnt sure if it was supposed to go like this. It seems like im suing my self

Old 11-13-2016, 11:58 AM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
If no help here, you might try the Car Insurance forum at http://www.city-data.com/forum/car-insurance/

Old 11-13-2016, 12:03 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
You definitely need an attorney (as you stated you do have.)

I went through a similar situation like this, about 11-12 years ago. The police report put me 0% at fault, but the other insurance company would not take full responsibility. IF you have an attorney, you should NOT be talking to the other insurance company, any longer. My attorney fought for me, dealt with the insurance company. and we almost had to take it to court...until the insurance company finally gave in.

ETA: and yes, this was in CT, I just moved about a month ago.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:26 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
If you have an attorney, I wouldn't be posting in an online forum.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:52 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
You definitely need an attorney (as you stated you do have.)

I went through a similar situation like this, about 11-12 years ago. The police report put me 0% at fault, but the other insurance company would not take full responsibility. IF you have an attorney, you should NOT be talking to the other insurance company, any longer. My attorney fought for me, dealt with the insurance company. and we almost had to take it to court...until the insurance company finally gave in.

ETA: and yes, this was in CT, I just moved about a month ago.
Yes this is standard procedure with insurance companies. They will fight with each other. The insurance companies usually refer to this as "subrogation".

You should not be speaking to the other party and/or their insurance company at all. Let your lawyer do that. Also, do not expect a quick settlement especially if injuries are involved.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I am moving this to the Car Insurance forum where it will get more responses. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-14-2016, 09:15 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes25 View Post
i do have an attorney. i have never been through anything like this.
Their insurance company may pay the max, but they then want to file a claim through my insurance for what they think should be paid. i wasnt sure if it was supposed to go like this. It seems like im suing my self
If you have "underinsured motorist" coverage, then yes, you make a claim against your own policy if the at fault person doesn't have enough coverage. You aren't suing yourself, you are accessing coverage you paid for that provides you with an additional level of protection in the case of a more serious injury. If you don't reach a voluntary settlement with the insurance company, then it gets resolved in binding arbitration, it doesn't go to court.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:21 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes25 View Post
In a car accident- i was the victim( back injury)- police report states not my fault.
If the other persons insurance pays out the max and it is not enough does it then go through your insurance?
Shouldn't the person who caused the damaged be sued?
1. If the liability coverage of the "at-fault" driver is insufficient to pay your total damages, the next place to look for coverage is through your own underinsured motorist insurance coverage (your company). This presumes that you have underinsured motorist coverage. If there is no underinsured motorist insurance, your chances of collecting additional compensation are low.

2. If you have underinsured motorist coverage, the best thing to do is not sue the other driver. Your best action is to collect the compensation available and let your own insurance carrier sue the driver who caused the accident if they feel anything is to be gained by doing s o.

3. Having underinsured motorist insurance is absolutely critical in today's world because too many drivers either have inadequate insurance or no insurance at all. My state allows a driver to have as little as $25,000 coverage for bodily injury. This would be gone in a twinkling if you were injured and had any significant medical bills.

4. A driver who has inadequate insurance can take out bankruptcy in most cases and avoid having to pay any additional compensation for injuries out of their own pocket.

Let me offer you the same advice others are giving you here. See an attorney. I really question whether you understand many of the implications that may be involved. If you think everybody is just going to come to you and give you a big pile of money without any effort, you are mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance