Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 12:40 AM

361 posts, read 426,874 times

Advertisements

I was home from college an hour away this week for spring break, and on my way home from hanging out with friends tonight, I was pulled over for speeding (yes, my second time being pulled over today, for a different reason). I am in the state of NJ. I got lucky, because the cop did not write me a ticket for speeding, but wrote me two tickets for not having my insurance or registration card because I had forgotten them at home. The registration ticket is $180 and payable, and I know that pleading not guilty in court will be a waste of time for that ticket, so I am paying it online tomorrow. However, the ticket for not having my insurance card is non-payable, and I have to appear in court to testify. The court date is on a Wednesday evening, and I know I can make the trip from school, but it would be a major pain. I do not have a car at college, so I'd have to take a 2-hour train and then Uber from the train station to the courthouse, and then do the reverse right after court to get back to school. I would spend close to $150 on transportation. I can make it if necessary since I am always free at that time, but my friend mentioned to me that I could possibly get out of the court date if I contact someone and explain that I am a full time student and away at college. Anyways, I am wondering how true that is, because I would like to try it if possible. I don't want to get myself in further trouble, but do you guys think this sounds feasible and worth trying? I am lucky in this situation to only have 2 tickets and not 3. Please don't lecture me if you read my earlier thread, I just want opinions. This has not been a good day for me. Additionally, is it better to just plead guilty to the insurance ticket in court and represent myself or hire an attorney and somehow plead innocent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 10:55 AM

18,487 posts, read 15,444,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
I was home from college an hour away this week for spring break, and on my way home from hanging out with friends tonight, I was pulled over for speeding (yes, my second time being pulled over today, for a different reason). I am in the state of NJ. I got lucky, because the cop did not write me a ticket for speeding, but wrote me two tickets for not having my insurance or registration card because I had forgotten them at home. The registration ticket is $180 and payable, and I know that pleading not guilty in court will be a waste of time for that ticket, so I am paying it online tomorrow. However, the ticket for not having my insurance card is non-payable, and I have to appear in court to testify. The court date is on a Wednesday evening, and I know I can make the trip from school, but it would be a major pain. I do not have a car at college, so I'd have to take a 2-hour train and then Uber from the train station to the courthouse, and then do the reverse right after court to get back to school. I would spend close to $150 on transportation. I can make it if necessary since I am always free at that time, but my friend mentioned to me that I could possibly get out of the court date if I contact someone and explain that I am a full time student and away at college. Anyways, I am wondering how true that is, because I would like to try it if possible. I don't want to get myself in further trouble, but do you guys think this sounds feasible and worth trying? I am lucky in this situation to only have 2 tickets and not 3. Please don't lecture me if you read my earlier thread, I just want opinions. This has not been a good day for me. Additionally, is it better to just plead guilty to the insurance ticket in court and represent myself or hire an attorney and somehow plead innocent?
You shouldn't make any decisions about how to plead until you consult an attorney. Your legal fate on this issue can have very far-reaching consequences for you if you get black marks on your permanent criminal record.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:52 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,890,276 times
Were you driving without insurance? Or did you just not have your insurance card with you?

This is a much more serious charge than speeding, and can result in a license revocation. If you have insurance but just didn't have the card, it's well worth it for you to show up in court and prove you had insurance on the day you were ticketed, in which case the charge will be dismissed. I would not plead guilty to this charge just to avoid the trip to court.

If you actually did not have insurance on the car you were driving, that's a whole different manner. In that case, it might be wise to get a lawyer since that is pretty serious violation.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Were you driving without insurance? Or did you just not have your insurance card with you?

This is a much more serious charge than speeding, and can result in a license revocation. If you have insurance but just didn't have the card, it's well worth it for you to show up in court and prove you had insurance on the day you were ticketed, in which case the charge will be dismissed. I would not plead guilty to this charge just to avoid the trip to court.

If you actually did not have insurance on the car you were driving, that's a whole different manner. In that case, it might be wise to get a lawyer since that is pretty serious violation.
I should've been more clear. I do have insurance and registration, but they were at home at the time of the violation. I have 2 separate tickets, one for no proof of registration and one for no proof of insurance. The registration ticket is a payable offense, and the insurance ticket is non-payable. Is it really that bad of an idea to just pay the registration ticket and not bother with court? I am certainly not winning that case. The insurance one, I must go to court, but the registration one is optional. Also, do you think it is feasible to show up to court without notice today or tomorrow with proof of insurance, or do I have to wait for the scheduled date?

Old 03-11-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I should've been more clear. I do have insurance and registration, but they were at home at the time of the violation. I have 2 separate tickets, one for no proof of registration and one for no proof of insurance. The registration ticket is a payable offense, and the insurance ticket is non-payable. Is it really that bad of an idea to just pay the registration ticket and not bother with court? I am certainly not winning that case. The insurance one, I must go to court, but the registration one is optional. Also, do you think it is feasible to show up to court without notice today or tomorrow with proof of insurance, or do I have to wait for the scheduled date?
Every location is different, so I don't know if you can just show up at court.

You could try calling the court, and attempting to reschedule the court date to a day when you will already be in the area, rather than away at school. Court dates are moved all the time, so you should try this.

I would also think that you could handle both tickets at the same court date, as long as they were written in the same jurisdiction. You should surely present your insurance card, and that ticket will be dismissed. Possibly you could also get the registration ticket dismissed at the same time if you present proof of registration.

I don't think this is that big a deal as long as you had insurance, which you did. Generally, these are both tickets that can be dismissed if your only offense was not carrying the registration or insurance card. You didn't get written up for speeding, which is the offense it would be a bit harder to fight.

I've been to court a few times for traffic violations and it's pretty underwhelming. Just try to get the date moved to a time when you can go more easily, and have all your paperwork straight. Under the circumstances, you will walk away with, at worst, a light slap on the wrist or possibly no penalty at all.

Best of luck.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Every location is different, so I don't know if you can just show up at court.

You could try calling the court, and attempting to reschedule the court date to a day when you will already be in the area, rather than away at school. Court dates are moved all the time, so you should try this.

I would also think that you could handle both tickets at the same court date, as long as they were written in the same jurisdiction. You should surely present your insurance card, and that ticket will be dismissed. Possibly you could also get the registration ticket dismissed at the same time if you present proof of registration.

I don't think this is that big a deal as long as you had insurance, which you did. Generally, these are both tickets that can be dismissed if your only offense was not carrying the registration or insurance card. You didn't get written up for speeding, which is the offense it would be a bit harder to fight.

I've been to court a few times for traffic violations and it's pretty underwhelming. Just try to get the date moved to a time when you can go more easily, and have all your paperwork straight. Under the circumstances, you will walk away with, at worst, a light slap on the wrist or possibly no penalty at all.

Best of luck.
Ok I will do that. By the way, when you do go to court for these tickets, are you supposed to wear a suit or dress business casual or can you wear regular clothes?

Old 03-11-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Ok I will do that. By the way, when you do go to court for these tickets, are you supposed to wear a suit or dress business casual or can you wear regular clothes?
I would dress nicely. I don't think a suit is necessary, but a nice pair of dress pants with a collared shirt would make a good impression. Also make sure any facial hair you have is neatly trimmed. Many people go to court dressed like slobs and it telegraphs disrespect. Dressing decently sends a message that you respect the court and take your appearance seriously, and this can lead to better treatment. People who appear more respectable always get better treatment.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I would dress nicely. I don't think a suit is necessary, but a nice pair of dress pants with a collared shirt would make a good impression. Also make sure any facial hair you have is neatly trimmed. Many people go to court dressed like slobs and it telegraphs disrespect. Dressing decently sends a message that you respect the court and take your appearance seriously, and this can lead to better treatment. People who appear more respectable always get better treatment.
Ok. I know that's a superficial question compared to the rest of the thread, but I did want to know. The court is closed on weekends, so I will have to wait until Monday to try and reschedule the date. Unfortunately the pay-by date for the registration charge is at the end of this month before the original court date, so I have no idea how I will get that date extended as well.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Ok. I know that's a superficial question compared to the rest of the thread, but I did want to know. The court is closed on weekends, so I will have to wait until Monday to try and reschedule the date. Unfortunately the pay-by date for the registration charge is at the end of this month before the original court date, so I have no idea how I will get that date extended as well.
It's actually a smart and important question, not superficial at all.

On the registration charge, I think you should just explain the situation when you call, and see if you can get a court date for the two tickets bundled together. Then you can deal with both of them at once.

Generally, I have found that courts will be accommodating if they think you are trying to do the right thing. Keep in mind that they deal mostly with trashy people, and if you call and are pleasant and respectable, you'd be surprised how far that can get you. They are so used to dealing with lowlifes that when they get somebody who is not, it can make an impression.

You really have nothing to lose by asking them to accommodate your scheduling issues. It's a lot better than simply blowing it off, which is what some people do.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
It's actually a smart and important question, not superficial at all.

On the registration charge, I think you should just explain the situation when you call, and see if you can get a court date for the two tickets bundled together. Then you can deal with both of them at once.

Generally, I have found that courts will be accommodating if they think you are trying to do the right thing. Keep in mind that they deal mostly with trashy people, and if you call and are pleasant and respectable, you'd be surprised how far that can get you. They are so used to dealing with lowlifes that when they get somebody who is not, it can make an impression.

You really have nothing to lose by asking them to accommodate your scheduling issues. It's a lot better than simply blowing it off, which is what some people do.
Yeah true. I will do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance