Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2017, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,696 times

Advertisements

I just received a letter from my insurance stating they will not be taking ownership nor handle its disposal for my totaled car. This means they are deducting the salvage value from the settlement offer.

The car can not be driven, what am I suppose to do with a salvaged car and how do I recoup the salvage value of the car? I am sensing this scenario is going to be hassle but also cost additional money to take care of.

Any experience with this and should I be pushing back to the insurance? Not sure what my next steps should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 11:55 AM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uswntfan View Post
I just received a letter from my insurance stating they will not be taking ownership nor handle its disposal for my totaled car. This means they are deducting the salvage value from the settlement offer.

The car can not be driven, what am I suppose to do with a salvaged car and how do I recoup the salvage value of the car? I am sensing this scenario is going to be hassle but also cost additional money to take care of.

Any experience with this and should I be pushing back to the insurance? Not sure what my next steps should be.
We were in an accident not our fault. Our vehicle was towed to a garage that was on the list that the police keep so they can call wreckers at accidents. It was totaled and less than 3 weeks we had been offered x dollars and they keep the car (and sell it to some salvage yard). Or we keep the vehicle and we pay the salvage value (which is what they think they would have gotten out of it if they had parted it out). The vehicle was towed to one of our homes and we got a check for the fair value less the salvage fee.

Which parts of your experience did not follow the progress of ours?
There may be different procedures in different states and with different insurance companies.

Were you at fault or it was a one car accident?

Quote:
they will not be taking ownership nor handle its disposal for my totaled car. This means they are deducting the salvage value from the settlement offer.
The car can not be driven, what am I suppose to do with a salvaged car and how do I recoup the salvage value of the car?
That sounds fishy. They should be possessing a totaled vehicle and you are entitled to fair value. Only after that were you able to ask about salvage value if you wanted to keep the vehicle. It was an option for us to keep it and not a requirement.
If they are forcing you to take fair value less salvage cost you should be keeping the vehicle.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,696 times
It was a Hit & Run where the other car ran a red light. All witness accounts corroborate what happened and reported to the police that showed up to the scene.

I've always know insurance that total a car to take ownership once they settle the claim and dispose of it. I don't want ownership of a totaled car but it seems as they are forcing me to keep ownership and figure out what to do with the car.

Also if the settlement if for the Fair Market Value - Salvage Value, then the taxes that need to reimbursed would be for the difference of the two. This could add up to a couple hundred dollars. I don't have the settlement offer yet, this has been the 1st communication from my insurance.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:07 PM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
It was a Hit & Run where the other car ran a red light. All witness accounts corroborate what happened and reported to the police that showed up to the scene.

I've always know insurance that total a car to take ownership once they settle the claim and dispose of it. I don't want ownership of a totaled car but it seems as they are forcing me to keep ownership and figure out what to do with the car.

Also if the settlement if for the Fair Market Value - Salvage Value, then the taxes that need to reimbursed would be for the difference of the two. This could add up to a couple hundred dollars. I don't have the settlement offer yet, this has been the 1st communication from my insurance.

Wait for others to give you opinions and advice.

I'd say do not cash any settlement check or sign any release until the matter of the totaled vehicle is resolved.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:27 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:

Where is the car now? How much are they deducting for the salvage value?

Old 03-30-2017, 02:21 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,607 times
Quote:

This is called an owner retain settlement. Who do you have insurance with? Somewhere it was informed to them that you intend to keep ownership of the vehicle. Your best bet is to get on the phone and talk to them. No one on the forum can help you with this. They may have been told by someone that you intend to keep the vehicle. Could possibly be a simple communications error. Clear it up by communicating with them

Old 03-31-2017, 12:56 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
You could call one of those attorney's you see on TV that claim they will get you what you really deserve. Whatever that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance